Ruger No.1 in 270 win

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigtheno

Bearcat
Hello ALL! I'm interested in getting a Ruger No.1 in 270 winchester...I was curious if anyone here can think of any reasons why I should or shouldn't get one. I don't know as much as I should about the Ruger no.1 so any information is appreciated.

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
The rifle I consider the most accurate "deer caliber-rifle" I ever owned was a Ruger #1 A chambered in 270 Win. This was in the late '70s. Early on, it preferred a 150 gr bullet. As the bore seasoned, 130 became its favored bullet weight. Still have some groups from that #1 on the wall in my reloading room. While looking at'em recently, I noticed one 100 yard three shot group that measured less than .300, outside-to-outside. I probably chickened out on shooting the 4th and 5th shots.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
Saw one or two on a wall in the LGS the other day, but I think they were running kinda high.

cobalt402

Single-Sixer
My .270 #1 will easily put three shots into 0.75" w/ 130 gr. factory Federal ammo @100 m if I do my part. It doesn't particularily care for boattail bullets and is picky w/ 150 grainers, but most 130 gr flat base bullets are wonderfully accurate in it. It's a wonderful little rifle.

c4

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
The only "problem" is that they tend to multipy in your gun safe. One day there's one, next month 2, then it just escalates.

My .270 is an RSI and it shoots under MOA regularly with handloads. I mostly load 140 gr. Partitions and have no issues with accuracy other than my advancing age and receeding eyesight. Carrying one all day is easy on the back and shoulder. Just do it, you won't be disappointed.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Mine usually take a year to multiply but they do. I can't think of any reason a .270 would not be perfect for deer and elk hunting, and as we all know the No. 1 is a great rifle.

rcramden

Bearcat
1A in .270 is my absolute favorite and my go to deer gun. It's got a redfield 2x7 sitting on top which I think is perfect for the hardwood forrests of the Ozarks I hunt in. 50 yards is a long shot here. Worked up very accurate 130 gr. SST load for it. If the price is right I would jump all over it.

bigtheno

Bearcat
Thank you all for your replies. It looks like I'm going to have to shell out some dough and get one. I've been looking at No. 1's for years but haven't made the plunge yet. Looks like someone is getting an early Birthday present. :D I've been looking at prices online but has anyone seen them in a gun shop and if so, how much? THANKS!

tmdw00

Bearcat
Bought a no 1 about 7 or 8 years ago. I think it was a 1B. At 200 yards it shot 3/8 inch 3 shot groups. I went crazy and sold it. Bought it used and paid about 700 for it. Sure wish I still had it especially when I look at them now. It was a 270 win.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
My No.1 is a 1A in 270 Win. Was my primary deer rifle for a number of years. Perfect platform for mountain hunting and was a joy to carry and look at. Accurate too. It got pushed to backup duty to a Rem. 700 in 300 Savage ("plastic" stock for bad weather) when its value started to climb. I do need to get serious with it again.

This thread is over a decade old, so not sure the OP is still reading it. But for the benefit of those that stumble upon the thread, and for our own benefit now, I'll jump in,…

I'm probably in the minority with regards to the No.1, but I feel it should be an iron sight only gun. While there'll be outliers, the design has not historically been thought of as the world's most accurate long-range rifle (certainly not by today's standards), plus in my opinion, a scope just ruins the looks of it as I think of it as more of a safari-looking rifle. Having said that, I think it's better suited to medium to big bore rimmed cartridges at ranges under two hundred yards (ideally less than one hundred yards). I think Ruger answered customer requests and started building them in nearly all cartridges, and optics found their way on them quickly to aid those with aging eyes and it was a "win-win" situation. I own two No.1 but had three in total, and I love taking mine to the range using only iron sights at fifty yards standing. IMO, the 270Win cartridge has long-range potential and ideally suited in a bolt-action rifle, but that's just my opinion. I think the No.1 is great with the 30-30, 35cal cartridges, 416cal, 45-70 and other big bores, as well as rimmed pistol cartridges if the sights are properly regulated. The rifle is short and easy to maneuver and can compete with a lever-action for being a great brush gun. Reloading can be faster than most assume with a cartridge holder on the stock. It's the perfect gun when shots are likely under one hundred yards.

Paul B

Hunter
"It's the perfect gun when shots are likely under one hundred yards."

I believe I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I have several Number Ones in .300 Win. Mag. that shoot sub MOA at 200 yards. Knocking off 500 meter sheep silhouettes is relatively easy with with the #1B or one of the three S models I have. I hunt for just about anything in the "S" model and never could get one, even on special order. Then, bang bang bang I fell into three of them in the space of a year, two red pads and the latest a black pad. When I tried to order on many years ago they sent a B". When my LGS complained saying that was not what was ordered, he was told, that's all there is, take it or send it back. Very good shooter BTW.
Paul B..

This thread is over a decade old, so not sure the OP is still reading it. But for the benefit of those that stumble upon the thread, and for our own benefit now, I'll jump in,…

I'm probably in the minority with regards to the No.1, but I feel it should be an iron sight only gun. While there'll be outliers, the design has not historically been thought of as the world's most accurate long-range rifle (certainly not by today's standards), plus in my opinion, a scope just ruins the looks of it as I think of it as more of a safari-looking rifle. Having said that, I think it's better suited to medium to big bore rimmed cartridges at ranges under two hundred yards (ideally less than one hundred yards). I think Ruger answered customer requests and started building them in nearly all cartridges, and optics found their way on them quickly to aid those with aging eyes and it was a "win-win" situation. I own two No.1 but had three in total, and I love taking mine to the range using only iron sights at fifty yards standing. IMO, the 270Win cartridge has long-range potential and ideally suited in a bolt-action rifle, but that's just my opinion. I think the No.1 is great with the 30-30, 35cal cartridges, 416cal, 45-70 and other big bores, as well as rimmed pistol cartridges if the sights are properly regulated. The rifle is short and easy to maneuver and can compete with a lever-action for being a great brush gun. Reloading can be faster than most assume with a cartridge holder on the stock. It's the perfect gun when shots are likely under one hundred yards.
I agree with you. My first No. 1 was a 1-S in 300 WM. I think the 1-S and RSI are the two best looking rifles I own. Unfortunately the old eyes tell me I need a scope. The first moose I took with my 300 WM was at 378 yds. using a 2-7x Leupold scope.

The problem with the No 1 is that they multiply. Now I have over a dozen.

Paul B

Hunter
"Thanks, Paul B, for providing a contrasting view. But I still prefer the looks of the No.1 without a scope, but that's just me."

Well, I can agree with you on the "looks" but some of the places I've hunted. looks wouldn't cut it, especially with my 84 year old eyeballs. One place where I did an elk hunt was area 1 in Arizona. Many very wide open "parks" and the elk hang out in the middle. By wide open I mean some are several miles long and a mile wide and that's no bull. I did a hunt there about 12 or so years ago. I had to do a long stalk just to get within 500 yards of the herd. I was behind the very last small bush between me and the elk. It was like shooting across a pool table, wide, flat and open. The shot at my elk was at a lasered 530 yards, one shot and down. Rifle was a Winchester M70 in .300 Win. Mag. running the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core over a max charge of WMR powder. The three months of serious practice at ranges from 100 yards to 500 meters on the club's silhouette range paid off in a neat one shot kill. I used the M70 because of the chance of bad weather. Ruger doesn't do a very good job of sealing the interior wood on their rifles. hat's based on personal experience BTW. Got caught in a heavy rainstorm in Oregon on an elk hunt and the stock soaked up enough water that I thought it would split. I removed the wood when I got home and placed them in my shed. Long story short, it took a bit over 6 years before I could put the wood on that rifle and have it shoot like it used to. Since then, I consider my Ruger rifles to be fair weather hunters.
Paul B.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I have often thought of getting a Ruger No.1 for several reasons. 1. They look great 2. Longer barrel per length of rifle due to absence of reciprocating bolt. 3. It was Bill Ruger's creation. But every time I come close to doing it, I read all the reviews that show this single shot, longer barreled rifle is not accurate. I've read so many reasons speculating why. Many mention that the stock should be bedded. I'm not sure I can buy that. Ruger's M77 bolt action (unbedded) rifle is usually recorded as more accurate. Shouldn't a single shot rifle be designed from the factory to be their most accurate? That is what keeps me from buying one. Let the flames fly! :)

hittman

Staff member
While I appreciate their look, function and feel I've never had the need for one. And single shot seems a tad impractical for a hunting rifle.

That being said I'm the same guy who's a sucker for 41 Magnum that many think is an impractical dinosaur. Go figure.