Ruger No. 1 front sight band

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
I am working on a new project and need a front sight band/base for a 1S.

I called Ruger and the guy I spoke to said "no dice"...I'll call back and ask someone else, but I might be SOL from Ruger.

Brownells and/or Midway have one, but it's the 1A version, ie. too small inside diameter.

No luck with Numrich either...

Anyone have one?

Thx,
Todd

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
Wow what a Jackass!!!

Whats it to you, ya CLOWN!?!

Does it hurt your tender little feelers that I posted it in two different sub-forums...?!?!

Oh the HORROR! So sorry that my posts don't meet up with your high standards!!

Not that I owe you ANY kind of explanation, but maybe I can educate YOU a little on the use of a forum...

Not everyone that frequents the Rifles, Shotguns, and Carbines sub-forum looks at the "smithing forum and vice-versa.

Get a life.

Todd

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Going to be a tough one to come by. My understanding is the sight is installed by extreme chilling of the barrel and heating of the band. Friction fit a very very tight one. As such there is really no way they come apart without damaging the sight. So unlikely anyone has a takeoff in usable condition. So if Ruger does not offer it you may be SOL. I would suggest checking out NECG front sights. They offer a couple different banded sights.

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/Front_Sights.asp

degoins

Bearcat
Todd,
I have a barrel from a 45-70 with the front sight still on it that you can have if you want to pm me your address. I dont know if you can get the sight off or not, but I have caused one to move on another #1 I had while trying to replace the sight blade.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
It would require cutting off the barrel and sight but I'd think the barrel could then be milled out to save the front sight. Then if diameters are close maybe silver solder the sight back on your barrel?

RJ556

Buckeye
I successfully removed the front sight base from my Ruger M77 African, shortened the barrel and replaced the front sight base. To remove it, I put a gear puller, with aluminum blocks bearing on the sight base, heated the sight base with a heat gun, trying as best as I could to heat only the base, avoiding the barrel, I cranked pressure on the puller then shot cold brake cleaner down the bore from the breech end and the sight base broke loose. After opening up the barrel band of the sight base for a tap on fit to the bobbed barrel. I put it on with high strength epoxy. I've attached 5 Ruger M77 front sight bases this way over the years, and after many, many rounds, never had one shoot loose. RJ

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
If you are looking at a 1B taper type barrel...........but want to add the front banded sight ala the 1S types(218 bee, 7mag etc).......then............780-001-167 is a reference to a Brownell's number. Take a look and see if it fits your requirements.

If you are referring to a 45-70, then this one is too small, but Brownell's has the larger 45-70 model as well.

These oem front bands have a straight taper. The user has to swage(hammer & mandrel) or machine the inner band to the taper spec of the day sorta speak. Originals can be removed from the oem barrel if needbe, but lots easier just to buy one if re-barreling or adding to a 1B perhaps.

These come bare, ie no springs, plunger, sight blade, or screw. All offered by Brownells. Once tapered to your barrel, one can use a soft silver solder like Force 44, or use a modern retainer like Loctite 620.

The Recknagel(sp) that makes the NECG banded sight is very nice, but of course, not the same style.........all in the eye of the user.

I am somewhat limited in my tooling, but have found a precision level handy for the install during affixing.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
You might give give these folks a try. They deal in really high-quality, tasteful stuff.

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/Front_Sights.asp

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
degoins said:
Todd,
I have a barrel from a 45-70 with the front sight still on it that you can have if you want to pm me your address. I dont know if you can get the sight off or not, but I have caused one to move on another #1 I had while trying to replace the sight blade.

You have the makings of a neat 458x2 American or 450 Marlin bolt gun and if you use a Ruger 77 short action you will have an 'all Ruger' rifle. I used a Ruger #3 45/70 take off barrel and really enjoyed the resulting rifle. I would like to have also done a same rifle using a No.1 45/70 barrel with the scope base for a bit more weight in the barrel.

Seventy7rs

Single-Sixer
Ruger will sell you the front sight bands, call the tech line. I spoke with them because I wanted a sight for an unusual barrel contour, turned out they never made one for my contour (I think it was an A-B). If you give Ruger the serial number of your rifle, they can look up part number and then contour and match up a sight. Ruger had a better selection of in-stock parts than Midway showed.