Ruger No 1 7.62x39??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Valmet

Single-Sixer
Eyed a Ruger No 1 in 7.62x39 yesterday and while my initial thought was "how blasphemous," the more I thought about it I thought, an open-sighted No 1 in that chamfering would be an awesome little rifle. Anybody on here have one?

Single-Sixer
Yes, although I haven't shot it yet. I don't intend to fire cheap steel cased ammo through it, but it's going to go to the range shortly. $799 from Whittakers.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
For $799 you should shoot the commie rounds! Whole case of rounds cheap! Paid a bit more for my 7.62x39, you did good at $799 :D

Single-Sixer
It's been a little while, but the last time I looked Whitakers still had two of them for that price.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I have one but unfired as of yet. Played with a couple of SKS rifles years ago and enjoyed handloading and deer hunting with this round. Still have components including Lapua and Winchester brass, bullets. Also did a one shot kill on a doe standing at 125 yards. We both were standing because the grass was too high to take a kneeling position. If you put a quality bullet in the right spot it's a fine deer round at least out to 125 yards in my experience.
I look forward to enjoying the round in my No.1A. It's been said that many military FMJ bullets are copper washed steel jacketed and have proven to be so by testing with a magnet. I'll use only copper jacketed or cast bullets in my No.1. I may tinker (again) with plinker rounds loaded with Hornady .312" round lead balls.

FYI- I think Whittaker's sold the last 7.62x39 at $799 but it's worth calling to see. They were listed for WEEKS and I almost bought a 2nd just..... because!

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Commie rounds discussed a lot, as I understand, many are iron with a copper wash, but core a lot softer than ordanince steel. Not worried to shoot the cheap stuff. And if I tear up a barrell, will make a project for a custom re-barrell. To add: remeber your Physcis class, only harder things can scratch/erode softer things.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
My SKS rifles had chromed bores. Maybe for corrosion resistance from primers, maybe to increase life with low carbon steel bullets?

Wheelgun

Bearcat
Have any of you guys slugged the bores in one of those yet? I'm curious about the bore diameter. I know for fact that for several years Mini 30's had .308" groove diameters. Cheap foreign ammo got the blame for a lot of issues in those guns.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Wheelgun said:
Have any of you guys slugged the bores in one of those yet? I'm curious about the bore diameter. I know for fact that for several years Mini 30's had .308" groove diameters. Cheap foreign ammo got the blame for a lot of issues in those guns.

They are .311 according to Lipseys who had them made. Asked myself to find out, that is what Jason told me.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
If a 7.62x39 rifle has a .308" bore it is called by some the '30x39'. I'm glad my No.1A is .311", as I have leftover components from my SKS days in the 'correct' diameters. I try different loads and bullets but tend to load only the best of the loads after I find a good one.
Out of all the No.1's I have, I am most anxious to get the commie 30 out to play with!!!
I'm wanting a 30/30 but those seem to have gotten grabbed up quickly.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
I have come close to buying that rifle from Whittakers several times. If you want a Number One that's the least painful entry price you'll pay.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
Whittaker's has the hardest to navigate website, at least it is for me. I called them to buy my 7.62x39 a few months ago. Very glad I did.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Alan in GA said:
I'm wanting a 30/30 but those seem to have gotten grabbed up quickly.

Not so, you probably know Lipseys put out 4 blued 1A exclusives at the same time, seems to overwhelmed most folks to get all of them at once. The 30-30 version lingered, but today folks are after them, and sellers are proud of them as indicated by asking priced.