Ruger needs a custom shop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
They might have one already, but not the kind that any of us want, especially not the No. 1 junkies. There doesn't need to be a 250 minimum batch run, particularly if you just want a production quality rifle in a unique caliber or configuration.

For example, 1-B in 375 Ruger. 26" barrel no sights. That's it, everything else can be standard.

The custom shop could make a killing on individual orders. Customers would receive a NIB rifle with the warranty, and we wouldn't have to hunt down donor rifles, parts, and then pay a gunsmith to whack it all together. It wouldn't take Ruger much to figure out what the going rate is for various services like rechambering, rebarreling, adding sights, etc. They could just charge a competitive rate for the same services, but in the end offer the customer a new factory rifle made to customer spec.

Kind of like Weatherby build your own rifle deal on their website.

Oh, and I'm serious about that 1-B in 375 Ruger. Make it stainless and laminated too!

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Would be nice if you could assemble stock parts into what you wanted from the factory. Same goes for revolvers.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
This is a common thread subject; "Man, I would buy a No.1 in a hearbeat if they would just make one in _____ caliber; or a certain configuration, or stainless, or whatever.
A question for for all of you that want this?
Just how much would you seriously be willing to pay, in $$, not talk??

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
I think it should be an hourly labor rate plus the difference in cost between parts. So if what I want requires a rebarrel and extractor, I'd pay whatever Ruger's rate would be for labor plus the difference in cost of the parts, if any.

This is why I think Ruger would make a killing. Instead of buying a rifle AND all the additional parts, having the work done, then trying to sell the original stock parts to offset the cost, the customer could just get it how they want from the factory. The cost to Ruger to produce a 1-B 300win mag should be identical to the cost to do a 1-B 375, but they earn more profit off the same unit by being able to charge for parts and labor at the custom shop.

Believe me that the custom shop would be overloaded overnight, but I'd be willing to wait to get the exact model I wanted.

Can you imagine how many GSR's with 20" barrels and no flash suppressor would be sold? ;)

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Why should they bother? They have quite the work load to contend with as is, let alone adding another aspect to the mix. Custom shop doesn't mean cheap and I'd say the vast majority of folks that claim they'd buy _______ from the Ruger custom shop would balk at the cost. PLENTY of aftermarket areas to go for customer work by folks that specialize in just what you want.
Then again, all those that are SOO sure such a ventrue would be a good idea...maybe if they put up the money to get it up and running... After all it's a sure winner? :roll:

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
It's not an hourly labor rate + parts difference. It is a productivity and scheduling issue that complicates the project and increases the price,
and that is not the least of the problems.
Few people have studied and discussed this concept more than I have.
Back to the question; what would you pay for a Factory produced .375 Ruger stainless/laminate 1B that might be "One of a Kind"?

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
Agreed that there are the talkers, there's also the folks that would buy a limited run model but couldn't at the time it was offered. Just sayin' it would be nice to be able to get configurations that aren't available any longer or that were never available directly from the factory instead of paying an arm and a leg for a used gun that either needs work or that the seller deems as "collectible". No need to get all eye-rolly about it. :)

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Just to add, a Stainless B weight barrel in .375 caliber(and make it a .375 Ruger, not an H&H) is not a standard barrel. To make just one and then put it together as a K1B just for you(and keep up with it and get it to you, through a Distributor and Dealer)) is what runs the price up.

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
...so what you're sayin' is I basically used the worst possible example for my idea? :) yep, that sounds like something I'm prone to do.

wunbe

Buckeye
I seriously doubt that Ruger has any interest in making a custom rifle to my specs. They can engrave guns but they are demonstrably over the decades corporately unwilling-- and,by now, I'd bet unable -- to give us a quarter rib correctly located for stndard scope placement ; a trigger that breaks cleanly at 3 lbs every time; and a free floated barrel in a truly sealed stock that will not change POI with changes in humidity. Not to mention a serious recoil pad in the heavy kickers, and iron sights that actually work.

Major T

Blackhawk
txpitdog, I too wish that Ruger offered after market sales for fore end stocks of my choice. For example I would like an S fore end on 1B, but I do understand why they will not. It could make someone somewhere very unhappy to have purchased a rare or hard to find model and then make that purchase common with an aftermarket sale. My alternative is to find a take off fore end somewhere or go custom. I actually found a custom maker that has 90% wood for the Ruger AH style front, and at a reasonable price. Then comes professional fitting, checkering and finishing then do the same for a matching butt stock and pretty soon you run up a bill in the 1500-2000 range. When you finish, you have built a 3000 rifle that might sell for 1200 if a good job was done. OUCH. The alternative is to either be happy with whatever is available, go custom and have what you want made, or look for that harder to find variation that is or is close to what you want. I was one of those who wanted a longer barrel on a .45-70. I did put my money where my mouth was on the purchase of one of the 1 S-Cs when they came out. I would like something similar to it in a lighter caliber and model, but I have purchased 7 firearms in the last several months and replaced my brides lost diamond in a new setting and the discretionary funds are nearing depletion, even though I know where something is that is close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades. El Numero Uno, is right. Few of us could afford even the simple changes from a custom shop. Go to Remington's site and check out a custom 700 for example. I haven't looked there in about 15 years, but 700s started at about 2000 back then. The new owners may have closed that operation? best wishes, jack

BlkHawk73

Hunter
txpitdog said:
Agreed that there are the talkers, there's also the folks that would buy a limited run model but couldn't at the time it was offered. Just sayin' it would be nice to be able to get configurations that aren't available any longer or that were never available directly from the factory instead of paying an arm and a leg for a used gun that either needs work or that the seller deems as "collectible". No need to get all eye-rolly about it. :)

Kinda takes away all the "limited edition" aspect then if such a model is able to be had at any time later on. Life isn't always a fair ball game where someone can buy something when it's readily available. That's kinda what makes some of this fun - being in the right place at the right time when the money is right. Gotta line up all the stars to get a win. Having a whole separate production line takes resources. That equates to $$$$$$$. They'd need a lot of on-hand inventory for parts availability which then would cut into the normal production stuff. Now add in space, labor and all the unseen resources and it's not an inexpensive enterprise. To have a one off made to your specs, you have one person making one gun at a time (low production numbers now so that ups the price). Factor in the special order aspect and the price goes up again. Doesn't take long for that custom shop gun to be priced up where that limited edition you missed is priced at now, if not even more.
They're a manufacturing business lead now by bean counters...do you really think if it was a worthwhile investment, they wouldn't do it?

Hotel1Actual

Bearcat
A custom shop would be great, but I do agree the cost would turn
most guys away. Savage has a custom shop and Im sure they turn
out a few rifles every week, but when the economy gets rough the
high end work is usually the first to feel the pinch and they get shut
down. Remington custom shop rifles are very expensive, and I would
love to own a custom Model Seven KS but the prices are very high and
I have heard from several owners that the quality is not that spectacular.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I perfectly happy with the limited runs, and IF there were a viable market for a custom shop, I'm sure one would exist.

picketpin

Buckeye
Sadly it won't work or at least at an affordable price. They can't do it as a loss leader for promotional purposes like Wal Mart and if they charge to REAL cost to them it'd be just like the Remington shop is/was nearly cost prohibited.

You just have to look at 1967 when the #1 was introduced and you simply ordered it by barrel, wood and cartridge choice. That lasted for one year before they dumped the idea and went to standard offering with "No exceptions" to the catalog per the 1968 catalog.

If you think of that and exspand it to include the entire product line .........

How do you staff? For the biggest work load and have people not busy on occasion or at the low end and tell people your rifle will be ready in a couple of years?

As much as I like the idea, it isn't workable in today's market and times especially as a publically held company. It's something Bill could have done by his own fiat but will never happen now.

Ross

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
I tend to agree that the big outfits have too many lights to keep on and too many people to pay each month for a custom shop. Although some outfits have the custom shop, but the prices charged put off most but the well heeled.

When I was younger I bought into the idea of factory custom rifles, but quickly learned that when it came to trading time, about 1/3 of the initial outlay was going to be realized. So I got out of that, but the custom things kept nagging.

Only way I could think about oddities was to pay someone or do it myself. I finally ended up in the do it yourself area with some help from mentors and books, and just time at the machines.

My interests are really pretty basic really, change of caliber, sights, metal finishes. Wood is tougher. You start with learning one aspect of the total requirements for a custom rifle, then you eventually do it whatever it takes in labor and time. Then other things come along to stimulate the mind.

When I learned about the money types in buying custom rifles, I soon got out, the funny money was real to me; and hard to come by. I put a custom rifle price in the machines, then the real work began, learning the basics and onward. I look at my customs, the work is free, only the cost of the materials to enjoy something I wanted at the time.

Roofinspector

picketpin

Buckeye
Roof: Be very careful. We MIGHT actually agree on two things!!! ;-)

Ruger can't afford to piddle with a Custom Shop.

Custom rifles are a money losing proposition, when and if you ever decide to sell. The ONLY exception I've ever found to that rule is unless you can find the one other guy on the face of the earth that likes EXACTLY what you like and has always wanted what you have. It's happened exactly once in the last 50 years with me.

Ross

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
OK... If not a custom shop then how about consistent quality on their production guns. Things like checkering with no over runs, or single action grips that fit the frame fully, clean up the area behind the pistol grip of wood stocked rifles so that it isn't rough, and better but pad to stock fit.

These are all shortcomings that I've seen in my recent Ruger purchases.

wunbe

Buckeye
Many of the so called custom shop guns from the contemprary major makers -- especially Remington -- are nothing more than a hand selected stock, receiver, and barrel from the regular factory output or a particular mix of such components not made available in the normal production.

Prices charged are way over the top for such guns w/o any hand fitting, or truly custom parts. They carry no special accuracy guarantees. If Ruger did this and charged what the others do, your odds on getting a true custom rifle for the money would be very low indeed.

For that kind of money, you have a right to expect high levels of fit and finish, performance upgrades due to hand finishing, addtion of after market touches, the abilty to choose from a range of options, and zero mistakes in the final, out the door, quality inspection.

Good luck,
wunbe