Ruger Mark II Target Pistol -- Barrel Notch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ATTAT

Bearcat
Ruger Forum,

I purchased a new Ruger Mark II Target .22 LR pistol decades ago that I just pulled out to start target shooting again.

As I cleaned it, I noticed what appears to be a chip in the barrel -- in the extractor notch (photo).
IMG_2709.jpeg

I don't remember anything about this (yeah, I'm old) chip/notch when shooting or cleaning it before.

Requesting Ruger Forums assist on whether this is an issue?

Thank you!

welcome to the forum, yes that can happen with an improper fitted extractor, too much material left in the rounded outside edge of the curve of the extractor itself,,also can be "notched ' if one tried to remove a crimp or divot in the this area, that protrudes into the chamber and can cause hang ups .feeding mainly...it this ;'divot; is removed using a chamber reamer , may will be removed , the proper way to do any repair it to use a tapered punch like one you get from the old Sears stores and "tap' ( actually swages) the material back into position, out of the chamber itself, this was the way we were trained by High Standard year ago to repair this anomoly when we were at Camp Perry back in the mid 70s, was common occurrance on the High Standard barrels when too much dry firing, and in their case the firing pin actually did the 'divot' (notch) more often than an improper fitted extractor. If this "open" area gets too large, the side of the cartridge case is NOT supported, and a possible case rupture, escaping gaseous ,blow by, etc.....good picture, may try and contact Ruger who knows maybe they made the extractor notch cut TOO deep??? put the onus on them.........:unsure::rolleyes:;)

ATTAT

Bearcat
I really appreciate this response!

Very informative and I'll follow up with Ruger.

I would not be against re-barreling -- IF the underlying cause can be rectified.

TestEngineer

Bearcat
Do NOT send it back to Ruger. Their fix is to ream the chamber taper down to the bottom of the chip. This makes the edge of the extractor notch level again, but it increases the unsupported area 360* instead of just a couple. The fix increases the chances of a case rupture 100x.

That little chip may not look great, but it really has ZERO affect on the pistol's reliability or function.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I have this same issue. Mine looks a bit worse (larger). In 1988 I bought a new Mk II 6-7/8" Government Model (bull barrel).

I noticed this appear about 12 years ago - I have over 4700 rounds through the gun. No failures to feed, fire, extract, or eject. None ever. I use CCI Mini Mags. I don't dry fire. I've never field-stripped the pistol (it's never been apart).

I called Ruger about this when I saw it; they said "don't worry about it." I'm still concerned, but haven't had a case burst. I examine the fired cases and none appear to be bulged anywhere.

That area between the notch and the chamber is very thin - even on my new Mk IV - I'm surprised to not see this happen more often (I check for this when I see Mk II's at gun shows). I would be interested in knowing whether Ruger gives you the same answer they gave me.

Last edited:
as noted above, if there is NO problem, issue with feeding or the cases hanging up, then not to worry the damage?? cosmetic?? is done, like we said when one tries to repair or remedy may cause MORE problems,,,,,the extractor hook has been there, done its thing and in that many rounds, not a further issue was noted,,,yes that is a very thin amount of metal left in the extractor slot....still be interesting to see just what the factory may say these days....... :unsure: ;)

ATTAT

Bearcat
Response from Ruger:

"I sent your pics to my technician and he says it is fine to use, it's normal to see that "chip" like that. You're good to go, it's safe. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else."

===

Note: Ruger received two pictures from the same angle -- the one in the Original Post above, and the other without tape over the Serial Number.