Ruger M77 / Gunsite Scout safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
Hi Folks,

I own two Ruger M77 style rifles. One is a "Hawkeye" M77 stainless in 308 win, the other is a Gunsite Scout in 308 win.

The safety lever of the M77 rifles is supposed to block the striker from hitting the primer when the safety lever is in the third (rearmost) position.

On my Hawkeye M77, the safety lever is properly fitted and the lever fits neatly into the notch on the striker. In the event that the firing mechanism fails and the striker accidentally moves forward, the lever will engage the striker and prevent it from moving forward.

On my Gunsite Scout, however, the safety lever doesn't fit as neatly into the notch of the striker. When I move the lever all of the way back to its rearmost position, only a small portion of the safety lever overlaps the notch in the striker. I measured this with a fine ruler and estimate that only about 1/16" of an inch of the safety lever overlaps the notch in the striker.

Normally I don't keep a round chambered in the gun until I'm ready to fire. However, in some hunting scenarios I could imagine having a round chambered with the safety on (in the rearmost position).

Would it be possible for me to adjust the safety somehow to improve the way it fits in the notch of the striker? Is this something that the Ruger factory needs to adjust? Could a qualified M77 gunsmith fix this easily?

Thanks in advance.