Ruger M77 blue finish & skeleton/boat paddle synthetic stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LOBO2

Bearcat
A friend came across this rifle, but neither of us had seen one before. The only version of this rifle we have seen is the stainless steel version. Does anyone have any info on this blued model? Maybe they were a special run for a distributor? Thanks.

.243 win.

Ruger%20M77%20blue%20001_zpsz2ylrrbu.png

45637e76-7a31-492f-be6b-85d771dcbdf1_zpswkruezrx.png

9884957f-9a52-4ffb-9b67-0843a07f2b39_zpszssqbo8e.png

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
They were from Davidsons. Available in several calibers. I think they were basically clean up models and came out when Ruger was switching to the more conventional synthetic stock. I don't have all my info handy but Im sure someone will come along and have a little more detailed answer for you.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
No problem. I dont know where the 243 falls in the rarity catagory but you have the wood inserts in the stock which are pretty scarce. I'd guess the rifle came with the black plastic inserts and someone swapped them out for the wood.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Checked info from the "Reference of Ruger Firearms" Volume Two.

M-77 MKIIRPDLX (Ruger model 17838)

M-77 MKII=blue model 77 MarkII rifle, RP=with rings, Zytel stock and no sights, DLX=Deluxe with wood inserts.

There is no serial number range given for the .243 or the 25-06. However the SN range given for all DLX models is from 789-31370 to 789-92729. So it is within the known range of SN.

Unknown quantity produced of each model from 2002 to 2003 for Davidson's (AZ).

All info is from the Reference of Ruger Firearms.

LOBO2

Bearcat
Thank you so much! I'll be sure to pass this great information along to my friend.

BTW, any idea on the barrels twist rate?

308longdistance said:
Checked info from the "Reference of Ruger Firearms" Volume Two.

M-77 MKIIRPDLX (Ruger model 17838)

M-77 MKII=blue model 77 MarkII rifle, RP=with rings, Zytel stock and no sights, DLX=Deluxe with wood inserts.

There is no serial number range given for the .243 or the 25-06. However the SN range given for all DLX models is from 789-31370 to 789-92729. So it is within the known range of SN.

Unknown quantity produced of each model from 2002 to 2003 for Davidson's (AZ).

All info is from the Reference of Ruger Firearms.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
rugerjunkie said:
No problem. I dont know where the 243 falls in the rarity catagory but you have the wood inserts in the stock which are pretty scarce. I'd guess the rifle came with the black plastic inserts and someone swapped them out for the wood.

Probably came with the wood inserts, as did my blue/Zytel .300WM. Swapped them out for black synthetic, which required different screw lengths. Gave the wood away as I thought they were detrimental to the reason I wanted the rifle in the first place, which was all-weather.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Coyote Hunter said:
rugerjunkie said:

Probably came with the wood inserts, as did my blue/Zytel .300WM. Swapped them out for black synthetic, which required different screw lengths. Gave the wood away as I thought they were detrimental to the reason I wanted the rifle in the first place, which was all-weather.

As always , ya never know when it comes to Ruger! Most came with the plastic and I just went with the odds. I bought one new when they came out in 7mm-08 that had plastic and most I've seen over the years were plastic too. I had a new set of wood inserts for it also. Too bad you gave them away if they were in good shape. Sold the set I had for some pretty good money...