Ruger GP100 357 moon clips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ger42

Bearcat
I am trying to decide if I should get a Ruger GP100 model 1772 in .357 and would like to use moon clips rather then speed loaders. Anyone know if it can be done? I know I can send the cylinder out to be cut but wondered if this was necessary.

Also up for consideration is a S&W 686 model 164194.
Both are 7 rd , S&W barrel is 4" Ruger is 4.2".

I like the looks of the Ruger.

hittman

Staff member
Of course you can do it!

It ain't nothin' money won't fix.

Professionallly machined or dremel tool ..... depending on how particular you are. :mrgreen:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You would think the Ruger MATCH CHAMPION™ might come with moon clips but it doesn't. The Redhawk 357 magnums do come with moon clips though.

https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5059.html

contender

Ruger Guru
without machining the rear of the cylinder,,, no it won't work. Not enough clearance for the allowance of the thickness of the moons.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Moon clips are simply beyond my ability to ever imagine owning or even using. Whatever happened to the concept of KISS? I occasionally see people at the range using them, and cuss words are frequently uttered by them.

cas6969

Buckeye
I don't know what your intended purpose for these moon clips are, but if it's to carry, moon clips over speed loaders may sound like a good idea, but it's a poor option. The truth is there's just no good way to carry moon clips. A coat pocket works okay, but otherwise some sort of belt pouch is needed. Speed loaders may be more bulky and slower, but they're a hundred times more durable. Put it in your pocket and sit on it. It may not be comfortable, but it will work when you take it out. Moon clips, especially aftermarket retro fit moon clips are thin and easily damaged.

Moon clips are good in competition. I don't know what competition a 7 shot would be good in.

contender

Ruger Guru
Moon clips were invented before speed loaders,,, AND for using a rimless caliber in a revolver initially. I used to think I didn't have any use for a moon clip type of handgun. Yet, now,,, I have 4 of them. I got a Speed-Six Ruger many, many years ago. Then along came a S&W 646 in 40 S&W,,, soon followed by a Model 25-2. Then,,, next thing I knew I had a LCR in 9mm too.
I've not cussed mine,, and I use my S&W 646 in USPSA competition.

Side story. Shortly after I got my 646,,, I ran into Jerry Miculek, and said; "Hey Jerry, I have a bone to pick with you. I just got a 646 & now I'm gonna shoot it in USPSA." He replied; "Oh, so you finally moved up in the world huh?"
I love it.

hittman

Staff member
Moon clips are to guns what typewriters are to business.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
cas said:
Moon clips are good in competition. I don't know what competition a 7 shot would be good in.
Steel Challenge stages require 5 rounds each if you never miss. A standard 6-round revolver only allows for one mistake while a 7-shot is more forgiving.

eveled

Hawkeye
The other thing with moon clips specifically with .357 the groove in the shells are difference widths. So you need to find out which thickness clip works with each manufacturers brass.

I don't like them for reloads, but I like the way all the empties drop out at the same time in one assembly. So I carry loaded with a moon clip, but carry speed loaders for reloads.

rjn

Bearcat
Moon clips are to revolvers as typewriters are to pencils.

There is no faster way to load/reload a revolver than a moon clip.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
rjn said:
There is no faster way to load/reload a revolver than a moon clip.
I'm not sure I agree. Have you ever used "Jet-Loader" speedloaders? They are as about fast as a magazine change with a semi-auto and certainly the equal of moon clips.

If the only speedlaoders you've used are the HKS models, then yes, moonclips are faster.

rjn

Bearcat
Jet-Loader: Open cylinder, Insert into cylinder, push down to release, remove loader, close cylinder.

Moon-clips: Open cylinder, Insert into cylinder, close cylinder.

Fractions of seconds difference...may or may not matter.

eveled

Hawkeye
Yes they are faster, but try carrying them without bending them up. I'll stick with my 5 star speed loaders. Like I said I do like how on that first reload all the empties fall out together.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
rjn said:
Jet-Loader: Open cylinder, Insert into cylinder, push down to release, remove loader, close cylinder.

Moon-clips: Open cylinder, Insert into cylinder, close cylinder.

Fractions of seconds difference...may or may not matter.
With the Jet-Loader steps two and three are done simultaneously and step three isn't a separate motion. You just let go of the loader as you close the cylinder and it falls off by itself.

Add one step to the moon-clip reload procedure; run thumb around the cylinder to assure the rounds are all seated. The Jet-loader spring does this for you.

Anyway, the Jet-loader is certainly competitive with moon clips in speed but the clips do make it easier to retrieve your empty brass.

contender

Ruger Guru
Go to any ICORE match,,, and watch the fastest shooters reload. Or heck,,, just about all the shooters,,, they will be using moon clips. Why? Speed is the name of the game.
Here's a picture of me at a USPSA match,,, using my revolver & moons. Notice the empty moon falling as I'm grabbing my next one. And I'm SLOW compared to many others.

H8XZVbs.jpg

s4s4u

Hunter
cas said:
I don't know what your intended purpose for these moon clips are, but if it's to carry, moon clips over speed loaders may sound like a good idea, but it's a poor option. The truth is there's just no good way to carry moon clips. A coat pocket works okay, but otherwise some sort of belt pouch is needed.

I agree and take it a step further and carry speed strips. Slower to reload that either moon clips or speed loaders but much more convenient to carry. The odds of having to reload your carry gun in a split second are extremely remote. That is unless you live in a certain downtown metro area and if that is the case I would carry a double stack bottom feeder with a couple extra sticks.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
contender said:
Go to any ICORE match,,, and watch the fastest shooters reload. Or heck,,, just about all the shooters,,, they will be using moon clips. Why? Speed is the name of the game.
Here's a picture of me at a USPSA match,,, using my revolver & moons. Notice the empty moon falling as I'm grabbing my next one. And I'm SLOW compared to many others.

H8XZVbs.jpg
Your point is well taken and, yes indeed, at the speed matches I've attended the revolver shooters almost all use moon-clip modified or factory set-up guns. However, I've seen times when the clips were kinked or otherwise damaged and interfered with the reload so they aren't foolproof.