Ruger AR-556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

donut757

Blackhawk
Been doing my research and bit the bullet on a AR-556 today. Im not an AR lover, but figured never bad to add a gun to the collection and have a semi auto rifle in the bunch wont hurt. I dont shoot nearly as much as i used to,or want to, but i was out of town and a Cabelas was on my way home.

Im not a rifle shooter, have a few bolt guns (.300 mag and .223) to hunt with, but with points and gift cards it only cost me about $300 out of pocket w/xtra mag and little ammo.

I happened to be coming home with the hunt club en route. Pulled off the road and put a handful of rounds through it and im happy. I wasnt shooting at any distance, but hitting the 20 oz bottle as it landed was good enough. The fit and finish on the gun looked very good upon inspection, and the function of the gun was good. I was not sure about running with flip up/iron sights, but they were fine. A red dot might be in future for faster acquiring of target, but i might keep it bone stock and just enjoy it. This rifle will be a gun to let the wife shoot because she likes shooting my "machine gun" SR-22 (10/22), and a good gun for playing with. Will certainly try to put it through its paces and have fun with the gun, but pleased after a handful of rounds.

donut757

Blackhawk
Captain America said:
Congratulations, one thing I would recommend is to tear down the gun, clean it and lube it. That preservative that Ruger uses can get a little sticky and is not lube...enjoy!

Yeah that is my plan... just couldnt resist not pulling trigger a few times on the way home.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
i love mine. as recommended elsewhere, clean that machine oil out thoroughly.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Yup. Clean all that gunk off first. Oil it properly, then off to the range and shoot, shoot, shoot. Congratulations!

Aqualung

Blackhawk
If you want to keep the peep sights, but not flip-up, you might consider a rail-mounted sight/handle.

Mine is a UTG/Leapers (not their AirSoft model).

Another vote to clean off all that gunk.

Glad you're happy with your new AR556.

Aqualung

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Aqualung, how do you like the sight on your carry handle? I've always been a little hesitant about UTG/Leepers. Yours looks really nice in the picture.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
ditto1958 said:
Aqualung, how do you like the sight on your carry handle? I've always been a little hesitant about UTG/Leepers. Yours looks really nice in the picture.

I really like mine. It's got the two apertures and is fully adjustable, like other, more expensive ones. I think it's every bit as good as those that come on some of the other rifles that have one included in their package. I got the one they specify is "Mil-Spec".

I think UTG gets a bit of a bad rap because they apparently make stuff for AirSoft guns, too. I have the UTG sling socket and the UTG scope mount on my .300 Blackout rifle, and the carry handle on the AR556. All seem to be very sturdy quality, at least for my use.

Aqualung

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
donut757 said:
Been doing my research and bit the bullet on a AR-556 today. Im not an AR lover, but figured never bad to add a gun to the collection and have a semi auto rifle in the bunch wont hurt. I dont shoot nearly as much as i used to,or want to, but i was out of town and a Cabelas was on my way home.

Im not a rifle shooter, have a few bolt guns (.300 mag and .223) to hunt with, but with points and gift cards it only cost me about $300 out of pocket w/xtra mag and little ammo.

I happened to be coming home with the hunt club en route. Pulled off the road and put a handful of rounds through it and im happy. I wasnt shooting at any distance, but hitting the 20 oz bottle as it landed was good enough. The fit and finish on the gun looked very good upon inspection, and the function of the gun was good. I was not sure about running with flip up/iron sights, but they were fine. A red dot might be in future for faster acquiring of target, but i might keep it bone stock and just enjoy it. This rifle will be a gun to let the wife shoot because she likes shooting my "machine gun" SR-22 (10/22), and a good gun for playing with. Will certainly try to put it through its paces and have fun with the gun, but pleased after a handful of rounds.
I like my AR-556. I have added a MAGPLUL MOE butt stock, a MAGPUL SL hand guard, a MAGPUL MBUS rear sight, and a red dot. I also added a new M16 style BCG. I beefed up the bolt extractor with a BCM bolt extractor kit. It makes shooting steel case ammo a breeze now. At one time I too had a UTG carry handle. I wanted a red dot and a rear MBUS sight that was dual aperture, unlike the factory RUGER single aperture. I also added a teflon coated trigger with JP ENTERPRISE 3.5 lb. springs to give me a trigger pull weight of about 4.75 lbs.

2prs21z.jpg

Love mine as well and echo the comments regarding the "gunk". Not advertising for them but I've found that Hoppe's Copper cleans em up great, I always tear it down when I come back from the farm as I shoot a lot of steel case, just being safe mind you. I have all three of the "black line", the .22, 5.56 and .308 and I can't say enough about them. The .22 was a bit pricey, but more than worth it, ditto the ..308 but I hadda have it! Speaking of which, here they are:
2zscqdi.jpg