Ruger American questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JasonH

Bearcat
Alright guys, I'm looking for some honest opinions here. I'm on the verge of buying an American Predator in 6.5 Creed. I've read all the reviews and watched every YouTube video I could find. And then this morning I happened to stumble across several posts on other forums regarding magazine problems with the RAR. From what I can gather, it sounds like the first generation of magazines had a plastic follower, and the newer ones have a metal follower. Some people say that the metal follower fixed the issues, and some people are still complaining of feeding problems. I thought I would go straight to the source and see if anyone on her has had any significant issues with RAR magazines?

Also, what is the general consensus on the RAR Predator? I'm planning on putting a Leupold Vx5hd 3-15x44 on it, which costs easily twice the price of the rifle. Is that a foolish choice to put such a top tier scope on a entry level rifle? I have plenty of other rifles for hunting, but I've been wanting a 6.5 Creed. I like the idea of an American made rifle instead of the Spanish Bergara, Japanese x-bolt etc. and from what I understand, some of the Predators are being made in the new Mayodan NC plant, which is about 30 minutes from here. It would be awesome to head into the woods this fall with a rifle that's made right down the road.

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated!

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I picked one up a month ago and love it, it shoots moa all day long. Mine wears a vortex 4x12-50 for around $230. Shoots 125-140 to same point of aim what's not to like gun and scope for under $600.

I have 4 Americans, 2 rimfire and 2 centerfire. In centerfire I have a standard model in 308 and a Predator in 223. ALL 4 are very accurate. The 308 shoots under an inch or less with many loads with a cool barrel at 100 yards. The lighter barrel on it heats up quickly as would be expected.

The 223 Predator shoots half inch groups with reloads and factory ammo both. If I do my part it keeps under an inch at 200 yards.

As far as the magazines I like them. I like how easy they are to insert or remove from the gun. They are quite easy to load as well. There were some early on problems with some of the 223 mags but that has been corrected. I hope to get a 204 Predator next.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I love my 7mm-08! Rugers are solid and reliable. Why spend a lot of cash on something else?

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I bought a Ruger American in 30/06 caliber about four years ago, one of the earlier ones I guess. The magazine would not pick up the first round, you had to help the round go into the chamber with the help of your finger, not optimum.

I contacted Ruger who said they were aware of the problem, had me send back the bad magazine and they sent me a new one with a visibly different follower. Problem solved, rifle is now 100% reliable.

Must have been problems with the early magazines. I'm sure a rifle you get today will be trouble free.

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
I have the 6.5 RAP with a Leupold 6-20x with fine cross-hairs and first time at range 200 yards 1 1/4" outside group! The better the optics the better you will shoot.

JasonH

Bearcat
I appreciate the responses guys. Im glad to hear that it was only the early guns that had magazine problems. I figure the RAR Predator in 6.5 will make a good all around hunting rifle. I've got plenty of pretty fence posts in my safe, and I would be sick if I scratched or dinged any of them. Those are "looking" rifles, that might occasionally get taken into the woods on a nice day. The predator however is just a rugged, "using" rifle. I wouldn't care if I got mud on the stock or banged it up against a tree. The fact that they are such good shooters justify the extra expense of the good glass. Come to think of it, a Ruger American Rifle and a Leupold scope is a really nice American made combo.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
I have that very rifle coming this Thursday.
Have a 3-12X40 Vortex & Leupold QDW rings waiting for it 8)

Three50seven

Buckeye
I have three, a .22 WMR standard, and the Ranch models in 5.56 and 300 BLK. They are all 3 superbly accurate rifles. The .22 WMR wears a cheap 3-9x, the 5.56 has a Redfield 3-9x and the 300 has a 2-7x Redfield. All three rifles will shoot MOA or better. I shot a 100yd 3-shot group measuring .336" with the 5.56 the other evening using my handloads. I have not had any issues with the magazines either.

rangerbob

Buckeye
JasonH, as I understand it, all of the American rifles are made at the plant in Carolina. One of the current NRA magazines has an article on it. According to the article, Ruger spend several million$$$$, to purchase the site(a former textile mill), modernize it, and then fill it with rifle making equipment. The best part is that they put a bunch of local people to work!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bob!! :mrgreen:

gunzo

Hunter
Other than the mags, the only other negative I've read on the American are some with rough bolts. I've experienced this but have also cycled some with action function as smooth as anything on the market. Have wondered about the cause of the rough ones.

JasonH

Bearcat
Well, I had a weak moment and bought a Hawkeye FTW hunter in .300 win mag! The deal was too good to pass up, and I've got a Leupold vx6HD 3-18x44 that needs a good home. The American Predator is still high on my list. Based on all the positive feedback, I will probably end up with one before the end of the year. You can't go wrong with a rifle that shoots half moa for around $400.

rex1

Bearcat
I bought 2 RAP's when they first came out' 308 and 22=250 and was laughed at for buying cheap rifles and expect them to shoot, they called them PIE PLATE rifles and that is correct 1i'nch or less in the pie plate Never looked back NO problems