Ruger American Quality

Help Support Ruger Forum:

acman

Bearcat
Which is more accurate, durable, and better built, a Ruger American, Remington 783, or Remington 700. It will be in 30-06. Used for hunting and target practice.

lookieloo

Bearcat
Pretty much all bolt-rifles these days are more accurate than 95% of the public can shoot anyways, and durability is inherent for this type of action. "Better built" is too hard to quantify and is a matter of personal preference. Hold each in your hands and see what takes your fancy, but my thought is that the 700 is best on that particular list.

Rick Taylor

Bearcat
There is no comparison, the remington 700 is a much nicer rifle than either of the other 2. It also costs almost 3 times as much as the ruger american. They are all good serviceable and accurate guns but its an unfair comparison to make. You do get what you pay for.

lookieloo

Bearcat
El Numero Uno said:
This is a Ruger forum, so the Ruger American, of course! You will not beat it for accuracy, durability and handiness for the $$.
"This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT."

I'll still recommend the 700 ADL over all others when it comes to value-for-money (even though I like Mk-77s best). Buy it in a 30-06 or .270 (my preference is .270), and you'll probably never need another hunting-rifle the rest of your life. All this may seem strange from a guy who hunts with a 25-06 #1b, but it's my honest opinion.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I have owned and hand loaded for a model 700 Rem, a model 77 Mark II, and loaded for an American all in 30/06Spgfld. The Rem was very accurate, the M77 was almost as accurate at the Rem, but the American was a total tack driver (3 shots touching at 200yds with a novice behind the rifle!). I have no experience with the model 783 Rem. The American is lighter and balanced better and the cost of purchase IMO makes it a far better value. My S-I-L was so impressed with that American he bought one in 308Win and I opted for one in 270Win. I think anybody that talks down one of these RARs has never shot a good handload in one or was just born stupid.

soyarm

Bearcat
Luckyducker said:
I have owned and hand loaded for a model 700 Rem, a model 77 Mark II, and loaded for an American all in 30/06Spgfld. The Rem was very accurate, the M77 was almost as accurate at the Rem, but the American was a total tack driver (3 shots touching at 200yds with a novice behind the rifle!). I have no experience with the model 783 Rem. The American is lighter and balanced better and the cost of purchase IMO makes it a far better value. My S-I-L was so impressed with that American he bought one in 308Win and I opted for one in 270Win. I think anybody that talks down one of these RARs has never shot a good handload in one or was just born stupid.

+1....except for the born stupid part

Tnhunter

Bearcat
acman said:
Which is more accurate, durable, and better built, a Ruger American, Remington 783, or Remington 700. It will be in 30-06. Used for hunting and target practice.

You might want to take the time to look at this review (link below) of several entry level rifles. If buying a rifle for a few years' use things like synthetic parts might not matter to you. If you want the "model of the moment" at the lowest price, overall build quality may not matter. If you want to make a one-time purchase for a quality rifle which will last for many years, do some thorough research and I'd also suggest you take a magnet along with you when you handle some of these rifles. :mrgreen:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_bolt_action_economy_rifles.htm

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
Some of the things people say about the American bring to mind a shotgun story from over 40 yrs ago. My late father just had to get into the Browning Auto5 rage, as the A5 was the shotgun mecca of that generation. So he bought himself a 12 gauge A5 and hunted with it a couple seasons and left the Winchester model 12 home alone. On a pheasant outing a stranger dad was hunting with asked him how he liked the Browning, he answered " throw a 410 over one shoulder and a railroad tie over the other shoulder and you've got a Browning". But I guess it sure was purty......

Rick Taylor

Bearcat
It's not "talking down" to simply say that a $350 rifle is not the equal of the remington 700 or the ruger m77 or the winchester m70 or a good mauser such as the Czs. I'm sure its a good accurate rifle but again, you get what you pay for!

soyarm

Bearcat
I'm sure its a good accurate rifle but again, you get what you pay for!

I think that is usually the case for sure. But, a Chevy or Ford will do everything a Cadillac will do just not as pretty and not as much of a status symbol.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The American is almost as good a rifle as the Axis. There, I said it aloud!
The Ruger is a GREAT rifle for about $350, hands down. So buy one and shoot it alongside a Remington, Weatherby, or what have you. Remember it's the bullet hole that counts. The FIRST bullet hole in fact.
Get one. If you hate it you can always sell it here, and save up for something else!