Ruger American 22M purchase - Photo's added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello,

I have been looking around for a new 22 mag. After a careful process of comparing rifles, I selected the Ruger American Rimfire. The CZ FS 455 was in the running. I looked carefully at the M77/22M on CDNN for $499.

I want the rifle for plinking and perhaps some bunny rabbit hunting.

This is the model I have selected and purchased from GB.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/americanRimfire/specSheets/8335.html

Looking forward to this gun arriving and mounting a decent scope. Scope suggestions would be welcome.

On a side note, not a single box of 22 Mag in my local Cabelas.

Bill

Nerostarr

Bearcat
I just purchased the same exact rifle #8335 and it is a real good shooter. I like the green stock, it's one of the reasons I bought it. I've tried CCI Maximags and Hornady Vmax and both shot very well. I also picked up some Armscor and it is also good but not as accurate as the other two. I've had luck at Cabelas with 22wmr ammo, mine usually have it. If not I have good luck buying it online. https://www.outdoorlimited.com/22-Mag-22-WMR-Rimfire-Ammunition-for-Sale-s/1830.htm For rings I use Leupold rifleman medium rings... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupold-reg-Rifleman-Aluminum-Detachable-Rings-Medium/748662.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dleupold%2Brifleman%2Brings%26CQ_st%3Db And a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 scope, perfect combination. Good luck with yours.

Nerostarr,
Good to hear. I think that this model, #8335 has all of the features that make it highly desirable. I am playing the waiting game as mine gets shipped. I could have selected a standard model from a local store but this model has everything I want.

Your scope selection matches what mine will be also. I have never had a bad experience with a Nikon scope. I am currently searching for one of these: http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/product/null/prostaff-3-9x40-rimfire-matte-bdc-150.html

I think I have some rings around here that will work well. The rail is going to make this a easy and solid install.

Thanks for the ammunition suggestions.

Bill

I would go with the lowest rings possible for a better cheek weld. A butt cuff will help if needed. Most shops by me have 22 mag in stock.

I have American rimfires in 22 (compact) and regular model in 17HMR. They are both extremely accurate. My 22 has a Buris 2x7 while my 17 has the Nikon Pro-Staff 3x9. I like Nikons and have quite a few.

"I would go with the lowest rings possible for a better cheek weld."

Rings that allow the eyebell to clear the bolt handle aren't going to be "low" in any sense of the word. Better start at medium height and hope you don't have go higher.

I have a set of Medium Warne rings on my bench and I think I will give them a try.

Visited a local Sportsman's Warehouse today and they had a Nikon 3x9x40 22 scope. I think it will be idea. It is on my bench waiting for the rifle.

I was also able to locate some 22 Mag ammunition there as well. They had at least 5 different types of ammunition. I have about 300 rounds of Remington 33 gain Accutip-V that I have had for about 7 years. I purchased a box of Hornady 30 Grain V-Max.

Looking forward to test firing this rifle. I have not fired an American Rim fire rifle yet. Hoping for good performance.

Bill

The American bolt has more clearance than the 77/22 bolt does. With a 3-9x40 you can use low rings. With a 44 objective you can almost get by with low, but not quite. Again lowest possible, be it a set of low or medium always makes better cheek weld. Since you have Warme mediums already, I'd go for it. Most of my guns have butt stock cuffs from Ruger or MidwayUSA, especially hard kickers.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
I am anxious to see how yours shoots Bill. I have a hunch it will out shoot my new 77/22 magnum. Sportsman's Warehouse in Slidell LA hav a very good in stock position on rimfire ammo. No Mach 2 though.

gunzo

Hunter
Keep in mind that this rifle has a heavier barrel than the standard American.
I have a 3-9x40 BSA Sweet 22 w/an adjustable objective on the LR version of this gun & there is no way a set of low rings would allow the objective to clear the barrel. The BSA is kind of bulky on the front end & I have to use a high in a Weaver. Brands vary.

FWIW, I would suggest cleaning the barrel really well before shooting. Mine looked like it was pretty dirty, & when I cleaned it I saw some of the filthiest patches I've ever seen. Suspect it was crud left over from the hammer forging, doggone glad I took the time.

Edit,to change scope ring height.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
Both of my 77/22's were very dirty out of the box. It looked like some burnt powder form test firing.

Hello,

I decided on this model, sight unseen. The barrel profile seems heavier in the photo's but I did not see anything in the product description to indicate that. Interesting to hear that Gunzo.

It seems like I will be OK with Warne medium rings providing enough optics clearance over the barrel. The rail has got to help out by moving the mounting location up a very small amount.

I will take some extra time and conduct a good cleaning of the barrel. I normally just run a snake through a few times and call it good. I will go the extra mile.

I will post pics and a range report when it arrives. For now, the rifle is still sitting with the seller waiting for FFL information to be exchanged.

Does anyone know more about this model? Is it intended to be a target model? It seems similar to the target model, minus the laminate stock.

Bill

gunzo

Hunter
Buckeye Bill said:
Hello,

I decided on this model, sight unseen. The barrel profile seems heavier in the photo's but I did not see anything in the product description to indicate that. Interesting to hear that Gunzo.

It seems like I will be OK with Warne medium rings providing enough optics clearance over the barrel. The rail has got to help out by moving the mounting location up a very small amount.

I will take some extra time and conduct a good cleaning of the barrel. I normally just run a snake through a few times and call it good. I will go the extra mile.

I will post pics and a range report when it arrives. For now, the rifle is still sitting with the seller waiting for FFL information to be exchanged.

Does anyone know more about this model? Is it intended to be a target model? It seems similar to the target model, minus the laminate stock.

Bill

#8335, no name, or none that I can find. A distributor exclusive for The Shooting Store. Ruger doesn't mention at least 3 changes from all other models of last year:
- no sights
- heavier barrel profile
- scope base/rail factory supplied
- large bolt knob

My LR version of this came with only the stock insert that is shown, no low or compact was included.

I haven't handled the new Target model, but from the pics I've seen, the Target's barrel is heavier. The action, bolt, & scope mount seem to be the same as the #8335, or a #8334, which is a LR.

If I can help with a any scope clearance measurements, barrel dimensions, etc., let me know. Enjoy your new rifle. 8)

black029

Single-Sixer
I got one on New Year's Eve for $270, and just got out to shoot it a few days ago. At the small outdoor range I visit the 25/50/100 yard bench section was packed with people. My friend and I had some 1911 and Victory shooting to do, so we set up at one of the pistol ranges. Well, the 100 yard range never really opened up so I made do at an estimated 30 yards. I was using a Nikon P223 3X9 off my Colt 6920 so it wasn't a rimfire scope, and my 66 year old eyes are slipping too fast for comfort. Still, I was getting fat one hole groups until I ran out of ammo, some Federal and Winchester solids. I guess that is somewhat to be expected, but I wouldn't say it is ever a "given".
I bought another Nikon, a 4X12 rimfire model, so I could return the P223 to where it belongs. Intend to wring it out at 50 and 100 yards when I get a chance. I'm quite happy with the limited test and results so far. And medium rings were fine, especially when the Monte Carlo cheek rest is installed. I don't think a 40 MM scope would work with low rings, MAYBE, but you would have to knock out the rear sight.
Edited: I just saw the actual gun you ordered, and with the Picatinny and no sights you might get away with low rings. But why buy them when mediums and the higher comb works perfectly?

Got the scope mounted and finally was able to get out to a local spot and zero the rifle. Trigger broke crisply, action was perfect. Fired about 150 rounds to get the feel for it. Zeroed at 35 and then moved out to 75 on paper. Next, I attacked some defenseless rocks on the side of the hill approximately 125-150 yards. I would say it is a keeper for sure. Once I get out a few more times, I will post some pictures of targets. Shooting off the hood of my truck today.

Bill

DLB-NRAlife

Bearcat
I just picked up the exact same rifle Friday but have not had a chance to shoot it. I'll keep an eye on this thread and post my findings with this gun when I have a chance to shoot it.