Ruger 8334 22LR Accuracy Expectations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
I can't find any ammo the Ruger American likes and I have tried many not just cheap stuff. RWS50, CenterX, Eley Match. The smallest group ever shot with this rifle at 50 yards is 1.2inches.

Just curious what others are getting with theirs. No I am not expecting Vudoo or Anschutz like accuracy. I am just curious to what others have seen and if you are getting better accuracy what steps did you take to get there?

jgt

Buckeye
Did you clean the barrel and season it with at least a couple of boxes of ammo before shooting groups?

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
Oh yeah sure did. I cleaned the barrel and have put a lot of rounds down range of the same ammo for example 100 rounds of CenterX(not cheap LOL) at one time no improvement, same thing with CCI SV same size groups as CenterX honestly. Don't get me wrong had a lot of fun sending rounds down range though I did hope the rifle was capable of at leasat .6in at 50 yards.

Any idea what the action screw torque should be.

My American Rimfire would satisfy your .6" requirement.

I posted here, and the thread still exists, but the photos of proof were lost in the photobucket scandal.

If you've already tried high dollar ammo and you still can't make it shoot, then I would suggest maybe that's as good as your rifle will shoot. A bad crown is repairable. The rest of the barrel, not so much, unless some cleaning/lapping is in order. And, as you suggested, a different torque might change things too.

Unfortunately, Ruger might not see your accuracy results as being outside of specs, so I wouldn't expect any help. And that's too bad, as mine was such a sweet shooter, I continue to recommend this rifle for folks looking for a decent rifle, regardless of price.

Chief 101

Hunter
My Ruger American 8348 does fine with inexpensive ammo...tho I had to work on stock mounting bolt tensions and a little shimming. I got it to shoot well with older CCi Mini Mags and Federal hv ammo. The target velocity ammo shoots almost as good as the hv ammo...I'm shooting out to 200 yds at times. My cleaning regimen is to run a dry patch down the bore after I shoot and clean the chamber and bolt face...and only mop out the bore when it starts getting a little wild...and that takes quite a few shots to get it to that point and then after a good cleaning it takes a lot of rounds to get it back...I find a lot of 22 rifles work that way for me.

All of my Americans (5) are very accurate. My compact 22 shoots .3" at 50 yards with Eley. Make sure when attaching the barreled action to the somewhat flimsy stock that it is centered in the barrel channel and not touching one side or the other.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Saw on another thread, possibly another forum, that the action should be glassed and bbl free-floated. And somewhere else the action screw should be torqued to 48 inch-pounds. Don't know why I don't write down these bits of info, so I have no way to vouch for them. INCH POUNDS, not foot pounds. I'm gonna have to buy another torque wrench.

recumbent

Buckeye
Colonel Daddy said:
Saw on another thread, possibly another forum, that the action should be glassed and bbl free-floated. And somewhere else the action screw should be torqued to 48 inch-pounds. Don't know why I don't write down these bits of info, so I have no way to vouch for them. INCH POUNDS, not foot pounds. I'm gonna have to buy another torque wrench.

Not needed. Per Ruger "Patented Power Bedding® integral bedding block system positively locates the receiver and free-floats the barrel for outstanding accuracy."
My American 22LR shoots the best with action screws at 30 in. lbs.

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
Yes the rifle is free floated or barrel is free floated and with vblock it should not have to be action bedded right. Though I have tried different torque values, I will continue to adjust I suppose. I know action screw torque matters but I have never seen them make that much of a difference to cut group sizes in half. I have seen it make a difference in consistency. This rifle is very consistent not many fliers just big groups, this weekend with Eley Tenex 1.52inches. With my CZ452 .3inches.

former farmer

Bearcat
Just had my 8334 out this last weekend. Shooting CCI SV, I was getting between .7 and .4" groups at 50 yards. Standard rifle on front rest and rear bag with suppressor mounted. I haven't shot it much, maybe 200 rounds through it so far. Haven't tried different types of ammo yet.

gunzo

Hunter
mr.revolverguy said:
Yes the rifle is free floated or barrel is free floated and with vblock it should not have to be action bedded right. Though I have tried different torque values, I will continue to adjust I suppose. I know action screw torque matters but I have never seen them make that much of a difference to cut group sizes in half. I have seen it make a difference in consistency. This rifle is very consistent not many fliers just big groups, this weekend with Eley Tenex 1.52inches. With my CZ452 .3inches.

OK, you seem to have checked all the boxes, rifle & ammo wise. Torque settings, lack of forearm pressure points etc. Ten X is usually the most accurate LR there is & the CZ groups confirm this & your abilities. Other ammo has been tried with no luck. Further bore scrubbing is more likely to do damage rather than help. And,,, some rim fires, even with good barrels refuse to shoot well for quite a few rounds after a thorough bore scrubbing. An Anschutz I once owned that was a 1/2" gun at a 100 needed aprox. 40 rounds of bore curing after a thorough scrubbing. Needless to say maybe, but the bore never got stripped to the metal again.

Two things left. If another scope has been tried, I missed that info. Complete inspection of the mounts & rings should be included when trying another scope. If another proven scope doesn't help this 1.5" gun then the barrel is simply no good. Ruger might say otherwise, but I'd ask, or send it in.

For what it's worth, my 8334 is a 1/2" gun @ 50 with CCI standard velocity.