Ruger 77 MK II 7.62X39

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Heish1

Bearcat
I bought a used rifle this past weekend. It is the Ruger 77 MK II bolt action SS with the russian 7.62X39 ammo. It has the boat oar stock with rosewood grips. I found some discussion on the net saying there was only 299 of these made (There was another one there too, and I can kick myself for not buying both). Gun is in remarkable condition.
However, when I go to the Ruger website, I cannot find any mention of this rifle anywhere. It appears the scope came with the rifle because there is a video of one on youtube with the same exact scope.

Does anyone have information on this rifle and what it is worth? Can anyone confirm the "299 made" remark?

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
I have one like it. I ordered mine from Davidsons in the late 80s or early 90s. The Davidson's run had the goncalo alves wood inserts in the stock recesses. I like mine a lot and it shoots well. Mine likes .308 diameter bullets better than the .310s or .311s. As far as numbers I would guess they made more than 300 but I have no idea. Chet and the other knowledgable Ruger gurus probably have more info. I did replace the mainspring in mine with a Wolff having a bit more power as I was getting failure to fire with some of the surplus ammo. After the spring change all was good. TTT

Heish1

Bearcat
Thanks for the info. Now I'm even more interested in finding out more about this rifle. Did yours come with a scope? Any idea on finding out the value of this gun?
Thanks!

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
No, mine didn't come with a scope and I don't recall that one was offered. Maybe Davidson's has some info on the numbers that were made. As for value I don't have a clue there either. I won't ever get rid of mine-it is a keeper. TTT

Heish1

Bearcat
Thanks. I emailed Davidson. This is a really elusive rifle as far as information goes.

chet15

Hawkeye
You can find the info in the Reference of Ruger firearms that's published by Red Eagle News Exchange.

Here's what I have on the 7x62x39, from the reference:

KM77RPW 7.62 x 39 (Ruger model 7853). A special Distributor model for Davidson's (AZ) and Williams Shooter's Supply, AcuSport, V.F. Grace, Inc. and Ellet Brothers) with wood forearm and grip inserts. Known s/n range 780-40534 to 780-61186 - 1,217 produced).

Then Ruger did another batch of the 7x62x39 without the wood inserts in the model KM77RLP Mark II, (Ruger model 7999) Special Distributor model - known s/n range 786-62602 to 786-70871 (a total of 1,016 were produced in 1999 and 2002 for Davidson's (AZ).

Lastly, Ruger also made a very few guns in 7x62 with Zytel boatpaddle stock and blue barreled action.

Chet15

Heish1

Bearcat
Awesome find and thank you so much! I also purchased a Blue Book today to see what the value is. Awesome. Thanks again.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Yes Chet thanks much for the info. I really like mine-but then again there aren't too many Rugers I don't like. TTT

Gumby

Bearcat
chet15 said:
You can find the info in the Reference of Ruger firearms that's published by Red Eagle News Exchange.

Here's what I have on the 7x62x39, from the reference:

KM77RPW 7.62 x 39 (Ruger model 7853). A special Distributor model for Davidson's (AZ) and Williams Shooter's Supply, AcuSport, V.F. Grace, Inc. and Ellet Brothers) with wood forearm and grip inserts. Known s/n range 780-40534 to 780-61186 - 1,217 produced).

Then Ruger did another batch of the 7x62x39 without the wood inserts in the model KM77RLP Mark II, (Ruger model 7999) Special Distributor model - known s/n range 786-62602 to 786-70871 (a total of 1,016 were produced in 1999 and 2002 for Davidson's (AZ).

Lastly, Ruger also made a very few guns in 7x62 with Zytel boatpaddle stock and blue barreled action.Chet15

About two months ago I went to a gunshow and saw a 7.62x39 M77 MkII with the boatpaddle stock and blue barreled action. Didn't buy it. A few weeks ago I went to another show and the same dealer was there. I bought the rifle for $450 plus tax. It is longer than the Compact that Ruger now offers. Overall length on mine is 42 inches. The barrel length is 22 inches. The skeleton stock was a little discolored so I tried some tire dressing on it. Brought it back to new.

Have not fired it yet. Still looking for a hard to find "Gloss" scope for it that I like. If anyone is looking for one let me know. The dealer told me that he has a couple more.

I also sent Ruger a copy of the receipt and the required form to get in on the Carhartt jacket promotion. Just wondering if they will honor the offer on the older bolt action rifles.

Gumby

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Gumby I was under the impression that they were all stainless-action and barrel. Is your serial number in the range given by Chet? Maybe it is a rebarrel? Or employee build? Interesting at any rate. TTT

Gumby

Bearcat
TnTnTn said:
Gumby I was under the impression that they were all stainless-action and barrel. Is your serial number in the range given by Chet? Maybe it is a rebarrel? Or employee build? Interesting at any rate. TTT

PICT0050.jpg

Sorry for any confusion. Receiver and barrel are blue. Bolt is stainless.
Serial # 788-895XX Model 07973. The rifle came in a 1949-1999 box.
Catalog M77RP MKII

Gumby

Gumby

Bearcat
Here is one on Gunbroker that looks exactly like mine. Note the much lower serial number.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=202552071

Gumby

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I have this caliber in the Hawkeye Compact and I wouldn't sell mine for anything. Mine doen't like the .308" bullets, but shoots nice little groups with Hornady .310" bullets.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the pix and information Gumby. I didn't realize Ruger made a 7.62x39 in that configuration. TTT

chet15

Hawkeye
As mentioned, Ruger made a few blue barreled actions in the 7.62x39 with boat paddle stock. These were an exclusive for Davidson's, probably to use up the last of the stocks. The serial number range I have noted for that one is 788-09425 to 788-89521. I've only been able to confirm 62 of these being shipped, but there may be more. If your sn's do not show up in this range, please let me know with a PM so I can update the reference for those who ask similar questions in the future.
Thanks!!
Chet15

black029

Single-Sixer
Heish1, are you in central NC?
I thought I saw Ed's Gun Shop post 2 of these for sale about a week or so ago.
If not, it really is a small, weird, world

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Gumby said:
Here is one on Gunbroker that looks exactly like mine. Note the much lower serial number.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=202552071

Gumby

$800???
No wonder it didnt sell. They didnt make a million of them but that's just a crazy high price.

txpete

Bearcat
chet15 said:
As mentioned, Ruger made a few blue barreled actions in the 7.62x39 with boat paddle stock. These were an exclusive for Davidson's, probably to use up the last of the stocks. The serial number range I have noted for that one is 788-09425 to 788-89521. I've only been able to confirm 62 of these being shipped, but there may be more. If your sn's do not show up in this range, please let me know with a PM so I can update the reference for those who ask similar questions in the future.
Thanks!!
Chet15

I bought one today NIB in a small shop in tx. sn 789-6232*.
blue syn boat paddle stock.