Ruger 44 Carbine RS Model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi All,

I came across a 44 with the factory peep, condition is used not abused, maybe 90-95% and they are asking $1100, serial <90K I see non RS 44 carbine often in the $800-$1100 range , but not too many RS models for sale to reference. Is there a premium for the RS?

Any information appreciated.

Yes, I have regularly seen a premium for any version that differs from the standard model. These would include the early Deerstalker stamped, RS, Finger Groove stock, and Mannlicher stock versions.

In regard to the one you are considering, check that the groove for the peep sight is milled into the receiver and that the sight is not just mounted to the side of the receiver.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
When I got my Mannlicher carbine I sent away for the certificate and received it within two weeks. 1966 and originally bought from a sporting goods shop in the Bronx. Well worth the small output just to have It.

chet15

Hawkeye
When I got my Mannlicher carbine I sent away for the certificate and received it within two weeks. 1966 and originally bought from a sporting goods shop in the Bronx. Well worth the small output just to have It.
the R/RS variety you speak of is actually known to have been produced from when they first started making the RS model to when they discontinued it. Yes, some may have been made in error. Some may have been made because they ran out of barrels that didn't have a dovetail.
But really, one would think a standard operation for the .44 carbine (and 10/22's) was to mill that rear sight slot... so would be easy to forget which barrel you are installing on the RS model.
As you mentioned however, the R/RS is pretty rare. probably in the neighborhood of what you said for quantity.
Chet15