RSS TYPE I FLATGATE #271

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Sat up at a local small 125 table gun show this weekend, and finally saw a rare one,a RSS Type I Flatgate serial #271. :D

Everything was correct except the original owner swapped the Flatgate out for a round gate. The frame was a pretty chocolate/plum color with a good bit of "lightning"streaks on the left recoil shield of the cylinder frame. No safety conversion, screws were untouched but the hammer showed some tarnishing. The most wear was as typical for a shooter on the left side of the muzzle of the barrel, I would rate it 93-95%.

Now the story,, :wink: :wink: :) ,

The man who had the revolver was set up beside me and did not have the gun out on the table for sale, he brought it to me to help him value it. The gun belonged to the wife of a shooting buddy who had passed and he was helping her get a value on it and several others. I should note here that he wanted to buy the gun (they shot a lot together) but did not know all the details and what would be a fair price to offer. He was going to check with her and see if she still had the box, her husband took extremely good care of his firearms and seldom threw stuff away, I will call him this week and see if she found the box.

Well I let him read my RENE reference and pointed out the Blue Book listing, while he read I got to fondle the gun (several times that day :wink: ) The surprising part was the gun resided 15 miles from me all this time!! I did make him a fair offer and he was surprised but was not sure he would sell it if he was lucky enough to buy it.

I told him to take it down to the July OGCA / ROCS show and told him to be prepared to be mobbed & mugged,, :) all at one time. :wink:

I will post any updates I get on it,,,like they say they are still out there.
Terry

Hi not that I ever get crazy about low numbered single sixes :wink: but my mouth would have been going 100 mph trying to figure out how to have it find a way into my safe :lol: :lol: I do hope you end up with it good luck

Gramps

Yes, they are still out there. T.A. I hope you get the single-six.
413671078.jpg

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
If you sent a flat gate back to the factory they would replace it with a round gate. Premier made a round gate that is a little different from the Ruger. I have a flat gate that had both the Premier loading gate and the flat gate
Ron

Terry, wish you luck and hoep you get it, I got mine sometime back at the OGCA for Laura, and I paid very little for it, guy had it on the table for sale, gave him what he wanted and while sitting there , behind the table paying him, you should have seen the string of "ruger folk" come a running down the aisles to the back of the hall,,,,,ha ha this old guy was quicker , for ONCE...( they usually bring them over to me)............AND the number is close to the one you are talking about..... 8) :roll:

4UvQTktm.jpg

number #274...... :wink:

Jussbad, like that pair and yes have seen factory ivory grips in BOTH medallion settings,,,,the early ones set back in the same location as the black, hard rubber grips, and later moved forward and up......

street

Hunter
Jussbad said:
Take a look at the two pictures that is from the American Rifleman magazine dated June 1953. This is a picture of a Ruger Single-Six that was sent to the Julian Hatcher of the National Rifle Assoc. As you can see it is a very early Single-Six. Notice where the medallion is placed. It is not where the medallion is placed on the hard rubber grips, but near the edges where most collectors think the medallions should be placed on the Stag and Ivory factory grips.

I have never seen a picture in a magazine or advertisement that shows the medallion anywhere else but where this picture shows it for the Stag and Ivory factory grips.

413821895.jpg

413821894.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
street said:
Jussbad said:
Take a look at the two pictures that is from the American Rifleman magazine dated June 1953. This is a picture of a Ruger Single-Six that was sent to the Julian Hatcher of the National Rifle Assoc. As you can see it is a very early Single-Six. Notice where the medallion is placed. It is not where the medallion is placed on the hard rubber grips, but near the edges where most collectors think the medallions should be placed on the Stag and Ivory factory grips.

I have never seen a picture in a magazine or advertisement that shows the medallion anywhere else but where this picture shows it for the Stag and Ivory factory grips.

Correct.
The Single-Six is a letter prototype gun. All six letter prototypes had ivories on them from the same vendor J. L. Galef, and all are in the same position.
Those are the first six pair of ivory grips ever put on Single-Sixes. Ruger had to do that because the injection mold equipment for making the checkered black rubber grips was either not completed yet or they were having issues with it.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
The gun sent to Hatcher, was sold at RCA auction, NRA Annuals, New Orleans, 1986, was SN 14. I handled the gun and Lynn L and I took the panels off to inspect, under Vogel's eagle eyes .......It was won by Lane Pearce for $1550......Ask why I still have self inflicted boot marks on my posterior.......... :roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
The gun sent to Hatcher, was sold at RCA auction, NRA Annuals, New Orleans, 1986, was SN 14. I handled the gun and Lynn L and I took the panels off to inspect, under Vogel's eagle eyes .......It was won by Lane Pearce for $1550......Ask why I still have self inflicted boot marks on my posterior.......... :roll:

Yes...I remember that one as well.
The gun pictured in the dope back report however is a letter prototype. It has rounded cylinder flutes.
That is also the article that mentions the problem with the grip dies, middle of the 3rd column.
Chet15

Latest posts