Ross flattop serial numbers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

"The factory covered their butts by putting noting the "D" in the books though."

Now THAT is interesting. So we should be looking for absolute duplicate pairs of those? Wonder how the BATFEIEIO would feel about those now?

Care to reveal the serial number range . . . or not? Another "special niche".

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Here is of course a non Ross close to the number in Chad's picture above. Just for comparison to the 4 digit as opposed to the 1 that was clearly added after the 4 digit stamping (my opinion) - great discussion either way.
413854488.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
"The factory covered their butts by putting noting the "D" in the books though."

Now THAT is interesting. So we should be looking for absolute duplicate pairs of those? Wonder how the BATFEIEIO would feel about those now?

Care to reveal the serial number range . . . or not? Another "special niche".

:wink: :wink: :wink:

There have actually been two matched pair of Single-Sixes known for close to 30 years now.
The first is a pair of RSS5X, both with serial number 466811 and the 2nd pair are serial numbers 467882 with one being an RSS4X and the other an RSS5X.

The exact serial ranges for the two duplicated Single-Six runs mentioned are 452800 to 452899 and 466793 to 467901...there are two guns for each of those serial numbers, unless for some reason or another a particular gun got scrapped.

Then there are the .41 Blackhawks...10395 to 10895. There are also two of each of those serial numbers. Our passed friend Richard Wilmot lettered a gun in this range once and it came back as the opposite barrel that he had. Don't remember now if the gun he had was the actual "D" gun (not "D" stamped) or not.

A matched pair of single-Sixes with serial number 138946 also got out the doors and would probably remain that way if it weren't for the dealer who noticed he had a pair of guns with the same number. He contacted the factory who asked to have them sent back and the factory stamped an "L" after the serial number on one of them, and an "R" after the serial number of the other, for Left and Right. This pair also predates any "D" marked gun.

One of my earlier mentions was the huge 5,100+ run of "D" Single-Sixes in 1968. The earliest of these also got out before the error was caught...known are fixed sight Single-Six number 500075, 500421 and another that I wrote about in RENE a while back but didn't get added to my reference.

I am confident there are other examples.

Chet15

contender

Ruger Guru
According to the RENE Guide,, the highest KNOWN Ross variation is #15483.
You'd have to see if your gun has the Type 1 items that signify it as a "Ross."

goodrich289 said:
Would .357 blackhawk with a 4 5\8" barrel serial # 15578 be part of the Ross group?Bob

Bob's List confirms contender's commentary. There are several guns listed that begin immediately after 15483, all reported as Type 2 guns which are "correct" for the time period . . . May of 1958.

The prime "ROSS indicator" is a Type 1 front sight with "wavy lines" on the top of the blade and base.

If you do have the gun you mention, and confirm its "type", I'll add it to The List.

:mrgreen: