Rock Island Armory M1911-A2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1911master

Bearcat
I had a RIA a few years back and had several mods done. I should have never let it get away. By the time I got through with the pistol it would shoot as good as any 45 I had owned. I have owned them all Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Dan Wesson you name it. I know were the pistol is and I hope to bring it back home. Good shooting. Jim

Enigma

Hunter
Sam, I really like the looks of your new gun! I must say that a hi-cap 1911 for $465, with $23 mags is definitely interesting! I see one of those in my future...

Dana the Dane

Bearcat
My two favorite guns are my Ruger P95DC and my Rock Island Armory 1911A1 GI. Both inexpensive. Both are quality firearms. And both are accurate and reliable.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I must say, after shooting the -A2 I'm very pleased with it. Accuracy is fine, it has not bobbled any rounds, it just seems to work as expected. I haven't shot it a lot yet, but it's definitely worth the money. The single stack guns are a downright bargain (~$380-450 shipped on GB; I have no connection to that seller). Compared to other guns these definitely deserve a look.

Since the base review I've detail stripped my frame and found no anomalies or problems. Very smooth production and finishing.

-- Sam

MoHawk

Bearcat
Sam, happy to see you have a 1911. Recently I was trying to decide between a RIA or SA to use for target practice & home SD rather than using my more expensive 1911s. I went with the SA simple because my locat GS had them in stock & gave me a good tradein on a Beretta 92FS I never shot. I hope your RIA shoots as good as my SA does.
SABox2.jpg

SAL1-1.jpg

SAR2-2.jpg
[/img]

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
batmann":hnjy2rky said:
Is this the gun Ruger should make?
IMO, yes. I think adopting any 1911 is a gamble, because there are so many stratified "factions" of 1911 enthusiasts. Those that think anything less than an Ed Brown or a Nighthawk is junk would never be satisfied with anything Ruger produced, even if it cost $3K. Those that have become convinced that Colt or Kimber are "it" probably wouldn't be interested in an "R-word" gun, either.

OTOH, Ruger has a reputation of selling quality firearms that are quite a value for the dollar, if not the highest zoot, prettiest things on the block. If they used some of their world class, USA-based casting prowess to develop a 1911 frame, and sold it at an attractive price, it might just catch on. Especially now that we're losing Charles Daly on the low end.

Both the Springfield PW* series guns (GI, Mil-Spec, etc), and the RIA use cast frames. Springfield's are built in Brazil (likely the same place that makes them for Taurus), and RIA's are made in-house in the Philippines.

The use of cast frames, MIM parts, and in the case of RIA, foreign labor, is what has kept these guns affordable. Unfortunately, there are honest negatives, as well as a lot of naysayers for all of these things. Ruger's 1911 will never please everybody, assuming they ever make one.

-- Sam

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Nice! I am considering the RIA Tactical as my next purchase. Wasn't aware they made a double stack. I have big mitts (the P90 fits perfectly) so that may be just the ticket.

Of course, we're a lot SAFER here in the People's Republik so mine will only hold the 10 rounds... :evil:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Fishslayer":26oi38ai said:
Nice! I am considering the RIA Tactical as my next purchase. Wasn't aware they made a double stack. I have big mitts (the P90 fits perfectly) so that may be just the ticket.

Of course, we're a lot SAFER here in the People's Republik so mine will only hold the 10 rounds... :evil:
That'll be an interesting one. RIA doesn't make the mags, they're made by some company in Italy. So they'd have to contract to have that company build 10 round mags specifically to sell the guns in places like MA and CA.

It may be just as likely they'll keep them 14 (+1) round only, and just make them "not for sale" in verboten placen. (I was floored when I saw the big sticker on a .45 Colt 5 shot single action that said, "Not for sale in MA"... What, they don't like cowboys?)

-- Sam (born in MA, got out as soon as I could)

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
The same seller has multiple GI and Tactical models, $380 and $445 shipped, respectively. I do not have any connection to the seller, or the brand, for that matter.

There's a topic right here in this very forum about the Ruger 1911 rumors. Probably on the first page, even.

-- Sam