Anybody looking for Springfield Armory 1911's ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Josh,

At first I didn't know what you meant by TiN, as I hadn't read the description of that abortion. I just judged it by it's incredible ugliness and gaudiness. That Spartan does look like a good value, except for the FSS's. I'd like to shoot a few ... never knew anyone that had one.

Thank God they only made 200 of those monstrosities ... with any luck I'll NEVER see one in person !!!

REV

jhearne

Buckeye
Yeah the TiN like they say is a Titanium Nitride coating, it may not look good on a gun, but it provides a really nice coating on cutting tools we use here at the shop. It would provide a nice protection for wear resistance I'd imagine ;)

As for shooting an STI gun, I've heard pretty good things about them, mainly because it's a TX brand. ATM I could go for the MilSpec SA or the Spartan, both seemingly good values....just a preference to the shooter it seems.

Josh

revhigh

Hawkeye
jhearne":3jl9ph4a said:
ATM I could go for the MilSpec SA or the Spartan, both seemingly good values....just a preference to the shooter it seems.

Josh

To be honest, at first glance, it seems like the STI Spartan is an incredible buy ... but so does the Taurus PT1911. I'm not saying anything bad about the STI (or the Taurus), as I'm not at all familiar with them (the STI's), but I do know that what's important to me in a 1911 is how it shoots.

It seems at first glance that if it shoots well, and you like those FSS's, and you also like the beavertail and skeletonized hammer, that this would be a gun certainly worth considering. Lots of 'perceived value' there, as is the case with the Taurus.

Personally, I need and expect more in a gun than a bunch of cosmetic doo-dads that don't add to the gun's functioning or accuracy.

According to this review, the gun is awesome !! Accuracy like THAT I can easily live with ...

http://media.stiguns.com/USPress/Combat ... partan.pdf

REV

Richbaker

Blackhawk
I've had my Spartan for a little under 2 years, I've put ~850 rounds thru it. No failures of any sort, except a failure to feed because I didn't seat the mag, 1st day out with it. Even Wolf feeds reliably... she'll probably even feed SWCs reliably.
Accuracy is pretty good, I can chew the bull out at 25 yards with very few fliers.
I wasn't sure about the fiber-optic front sight til I used it.... it works ! Easier to find in low light than a gold bead, about the same as tritium...

Best trigger I've ever pulled, bar none!

revhigh

Hawkeye
Thanks for the info Rich !! I love great triggers.

Seems like a nice gun with some good upgrades, if you're into those particular upgrades.

REV