Revolver Storage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
I needed to organized more of my Blackhawk's, rather having them laying down on shelves in the safe. Online most racks were setup more for autos and those that could handle a revolver didn't look great or were a bit pricy for what they were. Having minimal wood working skills and some plywood remnants I put this together to model one I liked online but was $100. This cost me $20 for the black leather to put in the resting areas. Need to make another that will hold the MKII's now.

Attachments

• IMG_3642.jpeg
    IMG_3642.jpeg
    564.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3640.jpeg
    IMG_3640.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 129
Nice job i still use dish drain racks great for single sixes but real tight with Blackhawks i dont know what you used for padding or how often you wipe them down but if you used felt be carfull the felt holds moisture it doesnt take to long to make rust
Gramps

Dan in MI

Staff member
Nice job. That's one of my "I shoulda..." projects. I started making racks like that in the early 80's when there was no such thing. Never followed up on going into production and now they are for sale everywhere.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Nice job i still use dish drain racks great for single sixes but real tight with Blackhawks i dont know what you used for padding or how often you wipe them down but if you used felt be carfull the felt holds moisture it doesnt take to long to make rust
Gramps
I used leather as I am always scared of felt. I have a micro cloth coated with rem oil I wipe them down with each time I handle any of the blued pistols or rifles. Good habit in my opinion.

Ill probably make another one for the rest of the SA and something similar for the MKII's.

Thanks

Hankus

Blackhawk
As I said in another post;
I recently had to remove all my handguns from their boxes and put them all in soft cases to make room in the safe for new additions… all the boxes are now in plastic storage bins in the garage. 😂

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
I did that in a former safe. Hated not being able to see the handguns lined up. Hated searching for guns through all the soft cases. Answer for me was a bigger better safe.

Sadly all the rifles are still in sox to avoid damage. 😞

soupy

Bearcat
I ordered bamboo dish drying racks on Amazon-2 for $15.00 or so-then got some cheap heat shrink tubing . Put the tubing on the uprights add heat gun and you have 2 pistol racks. Wheel guns are a little tight but you can always modify at that price range.
Merry Christmas
Semper Fidelis
Soup

"Battle of the Bulge" December 1944 ----Lest we forget!!

RC44Mag

Buckeye
What's that treated paper called that protects from rust that gun makers sometimes ship their arms with? I recall hearing good things about it a couple years ago and think I'd like to buy some and wrap some around my long storage guns. For the life of me I can't think of what it's called

Don't have a lot of room left in my safes and pulling stuff out to do basic lubing to keep them from rusting is a real chore I'd like to limit. Would like to stick some deep in the back of safes and not need to worry about the ones not used enough nowadays to warrant cleaning.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
What's that treated paper called that protects from rust that gun makers sometimes ship their arms with? I recall hearing good things about it a couple years ago and think I'd like to buy some and wrap some around my long storage guns. For the life of me I can't think of what it's called

Don't have a lot of room left in my safes and pulling stuff out to do basic lubing to keep them from rusting is a real chore I'd like to limit. Would like to stick some deep in the back of safes and not need to worry about the ones not used enough nowadays to warrant cleaning.
I use gun socks for the long guns so I can get more in the safe. Mostly 22's so they can fit close together. The socks are infused with a bit of silicone/oil. No issues yet, but I admit pulling them out semi annually just to look. 🙄

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I use gun socks for the long guns so I can get more in the safe. Mostly 22's so they can fit close together. The socks are infused with a bit of silicone/oil. No issues yet, but I admit pulling them out semi annually just to look. 🙄
Thanks. I use gun socks for my rifles and shotguns and they work very good but I'll clean them, oil them up, sock and put 'em in the safes. They're great it protecting the wood and steel finishes againsts bumps and crutches also. I don't don't feel fully protected with them. I still take them out a couple times a year to lube em up again. I thinking about the stuff that doesn't get shots often and I'd like to oil em and bag em up airtight with some of that paper stuff for long term storage. Set it and forget it type of scenario.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Thanks. I use gun socks for my rifles and shotguns and they work very good but I'll clean them, oil them up, sock and put 'em in the safes. They're great it protecting the wood and steel finishes againsts bumps and crutches also. I don't don't feel fully protected with them. I still take them out a couple times a year to lube em up again. I thinking about the stuff that doesn't get shots often and I'd like to oil em and bag em up airtight with some of that paper stuff for long term storage. Set it and forget it type of scenario.
Back in the day (90s) Bianchi made plastic ziploc bags called "Bianchi Blue" bags that were supposed to inhibit rust. I finally got rid of mine as my collection outgrew what I had and I couldn't find any more of them.

larry8

Single-Sixer
You can put handguns in those plastic bags with one of those little rust proofing bags of that gel stuff. Then use your meat storage vacuum machine to remove all the air from the bag and seal it. Do it yearly and no rust!!!