Revolver - SP-101, or go for S&W 868, 627 or 327PD?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flint Ridge

Bearcat
Well, pondering an additional revolver, and tossing this out on a couple of forums that I trust. I currently have an LCR .357 and love it, so I am leaning toward the Ruger SP-101 and know where I can get a good answer. I am considering a house gun, Bride tolerant, reliable, semi accurate, easy to operate, controllable recoil for the tiny Bride(would be fed mostly .38 spl's maybe some +P, rare .357 fun), might not be bad if it were CT compatible. So I am thinking about higher capacity. What am I really gaining by adding capacity vs the dollars? Money is a factor, but safety and family are worth more than a few hundred more in my account.

Interested in general thoughts/observations that I have missed. (I've got pumps and semi-auto 12 gauges and HK USP's etc.)

Yeah, maybe a GP100, but I just like the SP-101 a lot better.

Why all the negatives about the S&W locks? No I don't want that, but is it really a reliability issue?

Here is my thinking so far, so enlighten me gentlemen.

Safe bet is the Ruger SP-101
Here we have 5 shot capacity, 3" is what I would be after, a "light" 27 oz of SS and retail of $607, so around $500+ in my area. Could get this and have $$$ left

Next up the food chain are the Smith's 686
4" barrel, SS, 7 rounds of .38/.357 but a stout 39oz @ retail $849 - my local dealer has a nice Talo and another one with the smooth cylinder that he brought out from the back just for me to look at (Sweet item). Very Nice, but what about all that weight and The Bride?

Then the 627
4" barrel, SS, 8 rounds of .38/.357 but a whopping 41 oz @ retail $969, I can see this being a wonderful range gun, but around the house? Is that simply too much?

Stumbled into a S&W 327PD 4", 8 rounds of .38/.357 but with Scandium frame, only tips the scales at 26.5oz. Must say I prefer the look of SS, but would consider this one. How does it shoot? And are there drawbacks to the Scandium? Don't see this on S&W website - so is it no longer produced?
http://www.ableammo.com/catalo...p?products_id=109875

recumbent

Buckeye
I'm not sure why most people get hung up on the higher capacity thing.

5 vs 6 or 7, If you can't solve your problem with 5 rounds do you think 6 or 7 will do it??

If you want more rounds look at the SP101 in 327 federal magnum 3 inch, it holds 6 rounds you can shoot the 327 mag, 32H&R mag and 32 S&W longs in it.

BUT ammo is more expensive than 38 SPL and can be harder to find.

dennie

Bearcat
Flint Ridge, I just bought an SP101 about a week ago. I really like it! I have it on me now as I type this. I have shot several different .38spl and .357mag loads thru it. Surprising to me, it really tames the mag loads! The .38 loads are no problem. I had heard that the SP101s were very heavy. Mine is a 2 1/4 inch. Using a digital fish weighing scale I found it to be only a couple of oz. heavier than my Taurus M85 with CT grips. I like mine a lot!
You must decide if 5 shots are enough for you, and the little bride. I think both of you will like it.
BTW, I also have a stainless Security Six in 4". I really like it too, but it is nearly twice the size of the SP101 and only holds 1 more round!
If you or the bride are considering using it for concealed carry, the SP101 is the way to go.

Flint Ridge

Bearcat
She could easily CCW the SP-101 and she still needs to get her permit.

Again, probably the best of all worlds at the price.

And I really agree on the capacity overall, in theory it might be a problem, but that is way down list. Would be better to practise and have the speedloaders right there.

Thel

Blackhawk
If you plan on having the wife shoot the gun I would heartily suggest you take her with you to see how the gun fits her hand. The 627 is an N frame and the trigger reach is a bit long for smaller hands, in fact, one of the longer reaches of any revolver. The 327 is also an N frame. If one were to use the gun for concealed carry I would think the 686 is at the upper range for that albeit some maintain they can conceal an N frame.

I think much of the internal lock problem arises from very light guns from what is reported. How often it occurs is subject to debate. Still, if you could find an older Smith without the lock that is one less thing to go wrong. If one looks there are plenty of 7 shot 686+'s in the -4 and -5 configurations without the locks.

I do not know how well the finish on the Scandium holds up. Could check the S&W website to see.

As to capacity, basically whatever you get, you should get some speedloaders and
practice, practice, practice. Probably never need to use them but on the other hand.....

protoolman

Service-Sixer
How about a GP-100 3 inch. the compact grip on them is just slightly bigger than the SP-101 and the trigger pull is a little longer and smoother so its easier to manipulate than the Sp. Also the gun is a bit heavier so it has less recoil and you have one extra round. Just a thought.

Flint Ridge

Bearcat
protoolman said:
How about a GP-100 3 inch. the compact grip on them is just slightly bigger than the SP-101 and the trigger pull is a little longer and smoother so its easier to manipulate than the Sp. Also the gun is a bit heavier so it has less recoil and you have one extra round. Just a thought.

I'll have to pick one up and have a look.

Thel

Blackhawk
One other thing I seem to recall is that some of Smith's lightweight guns can have sticky extraction of the cases. I don't recall if this is titanium or scandium cylindered ones.

Another thought is a Ruger Six Series (Speed Six, Police Service Six or Security Six). Sizewise, they would sort of fall in between the SP and GP series and have six shots. From time to time pristine ones do turn up on auction sites, in fact, I think a forum member recently acquired one. A 4" would weigh about 36 oz at most and the shorter barreled ones less. They are sort of the Ruger version of the Smith K frame 19/66/13/65 models. At one time Ruger also made a run of 3" GP-100's with adjustable sights.

If capacity is desired Ruger does offer the GP in a 7 shot .327.