revolver shoulder stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JAGofC

Bearcat
Long time owner, first time poster. Been lurking for some time and decided to jump in with both feet

Shoulder stocks for Black Powder revolvers can be found here.

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/Shoulder-Stocks-c229.htm

Perhaps it might be adaptable to your purposes. I will not speak on legalities.
People do what they do.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
That's the one. Wouldn't that look nice with a Ruger brass Dragoon grip frame or cheaper, a brass plated steel one.
PhotoShop can be a friend. :D :D

RugerwithStock.jpg

lfpiii

Blackhawk
For the same cost of trying to modify some stock to the Ruger you can get a custom shock maker build one. Call or email Brownells they might be able to get you a list of custom stock makers. FYI most custom stock makers are not on the web as they get all the business they can handle from word of mouth.

Casey 44Mag

Bearcat
Jeepnik who makes your stock pictured? or where did you buy it from? And Jimbo has the right idea with photoshop very nice. i aquired my barrel through my gunsmith he orderd it for a guy to put on his lever gun but the guy never showed up so Al was upset he was stuck with it so i said that i have a SBH that i want him to fit it on he was blown away that i wanted 18" LOL he shot it first and said he did a exceptional job on it. so 175$ for the barrel 100$ to fit it just need the stock. Ok just checked out Dixie gun works and EMF so heres the million dollar question is the Ruger SBH grip frame closest to:

A: 1860 Army
Or
B: 1851 Navy?

Keep in mind i know ill have to fit it to the frame i just want to keep the fitting to a minimum

deerman3

Bearcat
you will have to use a blackhawk grip frame. also you will need to thin the grips and mill a notch in the bottom of the frame for the J bolt.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Casey 44Mag said:
Jeepnik who makes your stock pictured? or where did you buy it from? And Jimbo has the right idea with photoshop very nice. i aquired my barrel through my gunsmith he orderd it for a guy to put on his lever gun but the guy never showed up so Al was upset he was stuck with it so i said that i have a SBH that i want him to fit it on he was blown away that i wanted 18" LOL he shot it first and said he did a exceptional job on it. so 175$ for the barrel 100$ to fit it just need the stock. Ok just checked out Dixie gun works and EMF so heres the million dollar question is the Ruger SBH grip frame closest to:

A: 1860 Army
Or
B: 1851 Navy?

Keep in mind i know ill have to fit it to the frame i just want to keep the fitting to a minimum

From my post #15 above:
"The 1st and my choice would be a Colt style Civil war carbine butt from the 1860 Army. A reproduction of course, the ones Colt reproduced in the '70s are too collectible. The Uberti repos [imported by EMF] are not but good quality. The 7 1/2" SBH dragoon grip is the same size as the '60 Army so it will fit perfect. You'll have to see one to know what I mean but it ony takes a small cut in the butt of the grip frame and an elongated hammer screw (or hammer pin if a new model) that sticks out on both sides of the frame to attach the stock."
http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1860-ARMY-SHOULDER-STOCK-229p1198.htm

If you have the 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" SBH which have the standard Blackhawk grip you'll need the '51 Navy stock.
http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1851-NAVY-SHOULDER-STOCK-229p1196.htm

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Casey,

Here's the Dixie site link:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=shoulder+stock&x=2&y=7

The top one shown is made by Pieta and shows the extra long hammer screw supplied with it. It looks like the 1860 Army size for $185.

However, if your 44 mag is a new model, you'll need it turned into a pin or a special pin made. The guy who installed your barrel should be able to do that easily.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Casey 44Mag said:
Where abouts would i come up with a shoulder stock for a revolver? any will work as i would fit it to the gun. I recently had a 18'' Green mountain octagon barrel put on a SBH frame in 44magnum I went with 18" to snuff all legal ramifacations so adding a stock is legal for me to do.

You'll also need to have an OAL of no less than 26" IIRC.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
edlmann said:
Casey 44Mag said:
Where abouts would i come up with a shoulder stock for a revolver? any will work as i would fit it to the gun. I recently had a 18'' Green mountain octagon barrel put on a SBH frame in 44magnum I went with 18" to snuff all legal ramifacations so adding a stock is legal for me to do.

You'll also need to have an OAL of no less than 26" IIRC.

Yes thank you, covered in 6th post.

WARD

Single-Sixer
Be careful with this switching back and forth between pistol and rifle and such. I believe there is something, call it a technicality, in the law that says the gun stays what it started life as unless you have a manufactures license to change it.

Taking a rifle and shortening up the barrel and stock does not necessarily make it a handgun!

ward