Revolver as a ccw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tankhead

Bearcat
swcr":1bnoyegn said:
I traded in my stainless Colt commander .45 years ago for a 3" S&W M60 .357 and have never regretted it.

SWModel60pancake3.jpg

Eugene

A little more than I wanted to pay at $550 delivered. Will check it out some more though. Thanks!

Tankhead

Bearcat
Bigboreshooter":th4oodo7 said:
+1 on the Charters Arms Bulldog 44 Spl.

If I'm wearing some type of outer garment (or untucked shirt), I'll usually be packing my Bulldog instead of my LCP. Mine fits perfectly in a J-Frame holster.....in this case a DeSantis.

Bulldog44.jpg

Good lookin gun and priced right at $357 delivered. Just alittle worried about what Lee Martin said ... "they pack a lot of punch per ounce and are reasonably priced. Not built for volume shooting, but they're perfect for CCW."

Tankhead

Bearcat
stare-decisis":2d1ydych said:
I like to alternate between my SP101 and a P345. I don't feel under gunned at all w/the SP101. In fact, I think i shoot a little better w/it than the P345. Only advantage w/the P345 is capacity. Thats it.

Is that about right for the KP345 (SS version)? BudsGuns is out of stock but thier price is listed at $425 delivered. I've found that the out-of-stock price is very close when they get them in stock. I was lookin more at the P944. Not too bad at 29 oz. From the catalog it looks pretty slim. Did a quick search and GunBlast has a review on this gun five years ago I need to read. A quick glance at ballistics looks good. Thanks! Should definately make it to the short list.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I always carry a revolver for CCW, but it's not a Ruger. I carry Smith and it's a .38 Spc Centennial or a model 640-1 .357. I use Barami HipGrip nearly exclusively, but Barami doesn't do Ruger grips. Don't know why.
But Barami beats a holster every time, IMHO.
Sonnytoo

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
My most recent carry gun purchase:

IMG_1290Small.jpg

S&W 624 3" Lew Horton .44 Special. Rides in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake quite well. You just don't get hollowpoints (Silvertips) like that in a semi auto.

-- Sam

winterwood

Single-Sixer
I really like my LCR in a Simply Rugged. Check out some of the comments on the concealed carry section for thoughts from others on this combination. I have the Silver Dollar Pancake with the detachable straps and usually carry it strong side right cross draw IWB, but the other configuartions are solid too. With the snaps on the straps, it even converts easily to a seat belt carry with the holster somewhat centered on the belly. It is quick to unsnap and slip inside the waist band when leaving the vehicle.

maxpress

Buckeye
Tankhead":11cvpioc said:
As good as I'm sure the S&W are I just don't wan't to pay that much. Thanks for the help, though!

new S&Ws are expensive but used ones are less than a used ruger . they just dont have the resell value so just keep your eyes open and what you want will pop up.

redoktober

Bearcat
I like revolvers and also wonder why self-professed serious handgunners turn their noses up at them as viable CCW or self defense pistols. They seem to get dismissed as something that is more suitable for amateurs.

Personally, I think there are a lot of interesting cartridges that you can only find in revolvers (.32 Federal Magnum, .32 H&R Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, etc.). My minimum in .357 Magnum would be a 3" barrel. I'm not a fan of snubbies because I think I'd have to choose a lighter .357 magnum or .38 Special load to shoot comfortably. At that point I'd probably consider a compact 9mm (something with a simple manual of arms like a Glock). I think the SP101 is an awesome choice for CCW. Ruger also makes a fixed-sight 3" GP100 in .357 Magnum. A tad bulkier, but both seem like the best option for someone who wants something that is concealable but also sturdy enough to handle those magnum cartridges.

Here's a good article I read about the SP101:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Ruge ... Report.htm

Same author on the 3" GP 100:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Rang ... 0GP100.htm

Tankhead

Bearcat
The local instructor only holds a class once a month. I hear it takes 2 months to get in a class. My supervisor says its taking the state the full 90 days to procees his application for licensure to carry. That puts me out at least five mothns to carry. I have to get certified for calibers in both a revolver and a semi-outo. I can use my 4" RH 44 mag for the revolver. The instructor allows loaners to use if students need one to certify.

So, I'm gonna go ahead and get a revolver and semi-auto now to use as ccw. I really like the SP-101 357 mag and if I just went with the KP345 45 ACP I could get into both for $825-850, delivered. I think thats a good plan that should satisfy all my cc needs. Your input is greatly appreciated.