Reversing Saftey Conversion.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1000brians

Single-Sixer
I have a BKH45 with the saftey conversion and was wanting to find the original parts to change it back to the way it was. My question is, are old model 357, 45, and 44 flat top part kits all the same? I know there are differences in triggers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

there are variations of the triggers, early skinny, and later ones fatter, there are different heigths of the hammers, shorter as well as taller, and of course the OM Super had a wide spur...all the other lockwork ( innards, small parts) are the same, the center pin ( base or cylinder pin) also has various lengths, and the notch ( grooves) around the front portion have various widths and number of grooves, as well as some larger frame guns have a shoulder on them.....all explained in the various books put out over the years on "old models".....had a picture of the hammers from Forum member 'weaselmeat gravy' (Bob L) in my old computer, showing the hammers side by side....................hhhmmmm :? :wink:

G2

Hunter
Here's the picture showing OM hammers, Hawkeye to Bearcat.

Hawkeye, Super Blackhawk, LG Blackhawk, Med Blackhawk, Single Six, Super Single Six, Bearcat.

19212007.jpg

Photo credits:weaselmeatgravy

Hondo44

Hawkeye
1. Hammer heights vary slightly but here are the four basic size ranges. OM hammer heights measured from bottom surface to top front:

Large frame hammer = 2.370" - 2.380"
Mid-frame = 2.180" - 2.220"
Single six, tall for fixed sight = 2.035" to 2.060"
Super single six, shorter for adj. sight = 1.945" to 1.965"

2. 3 sizes of cyl pin lengths for 3 frame sizes, but the conversion pin can be used with the old parts

3. cyl hands, two sizes, small frame and mid/large frame. The conversion hand can be used with old parts, it's the same part.

4. The cyl bolt (latch) is the same for all frame sizes

5. The conversion trigger can be used with old parts, it just needs the transfer bar mounting lever hack sawed off the trigger. All triggers interchange between all three frame sizes. The wider Super BH trigger needs a wide trigger slot in the trigger guard.

Latest posts