restore or leave original, RSS4X

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wicked30

Bearcat
Hello, I recently was gifted with a 1971 Ruger RSS4X- single six- 22 convertible w/ a 4 5/8 barrel. My Dad purchased it new in 1971. He wanted me to enjoy it while he was still around. I have the original box, warranty card (not filled out) , mag box, bag and cylinder. all in very good condition. the six was fired @ 400 rds of 22 lr its previous life, I have fired it an additional 200 rds of lr and 50 rds of mag. The mag cyl is perfect and the only wear on the lr cyl is of course the drag line and minor blueing loss near the line. The barrel has minor blueing wear at the left tip. The grip frame is perfect. I have a few different Rugers and I shoot most of them. My Question is this.(1) Should I send it in to Ruger for reblueing and transfer bar update, then reassemble to original and put it away.(2) should I leave it as is and put it away. (3) should I enjoy shooting it on a limited basis and taca as much care with it as my Dad did. just looking for opinions, im leaning toward leaving it all original and enjoy shooting it a little. thanks , looking forward to your opinions. A huge thanks to my Dad for his Generosity and influence.

Cholo

Staff member
4) Shoot the livin' bejeezes out of it and enjoy it for what it is. Unless you abuse it, it will still look good in 20 years. Enjoy! :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
4) Shoot the livin' bejeezes out of it and enjoy it for what it is. Unless you abuse it, it will still look good in 20 years. Enjoy! :wink:
+1. This is the correct answer. :wink:

agree with the above, from what you describe, there is NO GOOD reason, to have the gun "refinished"........
just do not "ride it hard, and put 'er away wet...." :wink:

as for the "safety update conversion", that's YOUR call, best to "read, understand and practice" what is needed for the safe handling of ANY "old model" Colt or Ruger. 8)

The above responses I agree with! It is either a '20-' or a '21-' pre-fix serial # gun. Great your Father passed it down to someone who will enjoy & cherish.
My Father gave me his "Old Flat Gate" with alot of blueing wear & the Franzite Plastic Stag Grips as I remember shooting as 9 year old dang near 50 years ago!
I would not change a thing, it is what it is! IMHO

contender

Ruger Guru
I concur with my friends above. Enjoy it. HOWEVER,, to minimize the turn ring, learn to "load one, skip one, load four, pull the hammer all the way to the rear before lowering on an empty chamber." Never lower the hammer from the half-cock position. That's usually the culprit in turn rings.

hittman

Staff member
Cholo said:

Amen!

wicked30

Bearcat
Thanks everyone, went shooting again yesterday, took the little Ruger for another spin. I concure with the majority, after all , they are only original once. John

wicked30

Bearcat
HAWKEYE#28 said:
Well..........at least we know an original 2 pc. box is worth $356, as that is the amt successfully bid on Ebay, last night.......... :!:

I will not be selling any parts of this , but its nice to know there are people who appreciate its value.

flatgate

Hawkeye
RSS4X, not RSSX-4 {Ruger Single-Six w/4-5/8" Barrel and a second cylinder chambered in .22 Magnum}

Darn old picky collector (me) can't stand to see the wrong "catalog numbers".

Those are rather scarce examples of Ruger's "Old Model" Single-Sixes.

Nice!

flatgate