Remington Ammo in Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fourbits

Bearcat
Having had lots of misfires with Remington bulk pack 22 LR in a Mk III I've avoided it if possible. Still left with a couple of boxes I tried it in my Single six. After several hundred rounds, no misfires! Anybody else had a similar experience?

Fourbits

Scott

Single-Sixer
i don't have a .22 in semi-auto, but I have never pulled the trigger on my single six when it didn't go bang. I have run through just about every brand ammo I've ever seen in .22 short/.22lr/.22mag

hittman

Staff member
Remington .22LR ammo has a very poor reputation with many for being extremely dirty and prone to misfires.

Hangfire

Bearcat
I have been having about 35-40 FTF in the Remington Golden Bullet 525 and 550 bulk packs. The problem I have is that the Remingtons pattern better than any of the Winchesters or Federals that I have tried.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Same here; I never shoot Remington in the Mark II anymore; I save it for the SA's. However, my 10-22 that I bought today seems to do fine with Remington.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
The difference you're seeing between the semi and revolver with the same ammo is most likely due to the harder strike of the SA revolver hammer on the firing pin.

Harder hits = more reliable ignition.

As a reloader, I can tell you that most Rem brass is harder than other brands. Their primers use harder metal in them, too. If you have a firearm that has a light strike, Rem primers are not usually a good choice.

Remington brass is not usually a top choice among handloaders for that reason. Hard brass doesn't move/stretch well without splitting, so it doesn't have the longevity of some other brands. My choice, in order of preference, is usually Starline, Federal, Winchester, and then Remington.

I would imagine that this same tendency (harder brass) carries over into their rimfire ammo, too. If that's the case, then harder firing pin strikes would almost certainly give better ignition. Better ignition would likely burn the powder better too, perhaps leaving the gun a bit cleaner.

FWIW,
Daryl

CraigC

Hawkeye
AzRebel":e2egmjda said:
The difference you're seeing between the semi and revolver with the same ammo is most likely due to the harder strike of the SA revolver hammer on the firing pin.

Harder hits = more reliable ignition.
Exactly!!! I have very, very little problem with Remingtons in my revolvers but 'some' autos don't hit the rim with enough force to ignite them on occasion. Others have no problem at all. My new 22/45 has about a 10% failure rate while my Ciener 1911 gobbles them up. Just gotta try `em to see what works in your guns.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I use Remington brass almost exclusively, and I can't even fathom how much of what AzRebel has posted is true in regards to the reloading brass or primers. What do I know, I only shoot 20-30k rounds a year.

Rifles and Revolvers have a lot more energy on the firing pin, which is why they typically work much better with all flavors of ammo. The bottom line is that .22LR ammo varies significantly from lot to lot. I've had all makes fail, and all makes function flawlessly. Typically the more expensive the more reliable. At $.02 a piece, I can dump the dud and move on without going all over the internet telling everyone how bad it is.

When you have a FTF - stop and examine the case rim. If you are getting light strikes or the imprint is small or very thin, you have a problem with the firearm. Could be a weak spring, a misshapened firing pin, crud built up in the bolt restricting firing pin travel, etc. You may even have a fractured firing pin with only a part of the face hitting the case. Check all these out before giving up on the ammo or the gun. Maybe a simple cleaning or spring swap will cure the problem.

single action

Single-Sixer
My mark two slab side shoots everything but Remington, it shoots federal winchester, pmc, cci, eley etc it does not like Remington at all. This is with very positive indents and I have tried the same round manually in the gun with up to three indents and no boom. Likes everything but Remington. love all the Reimington centerfire stuff used it since I was a pup. sa

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've shot about 20K of Rem Golden Bullets, give or take a thousand or two, over the last three years, 15K+ of it in a Ciener 1911 with a USGI spec mainspring, and most of the rest in a pair of Armi-Jager rifles that only run well on it. I have had a very consistent "dud" rate of one to two percent. Some lots are better, some slightly worse. Last year the Ciener went through something like 800 or 1000 (I forget which) consecutive rounds of Rem GBs without one single dud. This was most unusual!

The problem with Rem GB duds is not that the brass is harder, it is that there is NO primer in them at all. You can hit them however many times you want, with whatever gun you want, and they won't be firing. I don't even waste my time trying to "second strike" Rem GBs anymore, though I do with other brands.

Now as to hard brass, I DID experience one lot of Federal Bulks in 2008 that seemed to have either harder or thicker brass than normal. Up to then Fed Bulks had always been extremely reliable for me, with a dud rate approaching Zero after many, many thousands of rounds. But I had one lot that maybe four to seven in every hundred took two hits in the same place to light off, and this was consistent in several different guns.

A

Anonymous

I got away from rimfire about 10 years ago after getting involved in competitive shooting. I just picked up a Bisley Single Six and I really enjoy the casual target shooting I used to do.

Anyway, I have a small inventory of both Remington and Winchester ammo from that time period. I don't know if that ammo is the same as current, but at that time I found the Remington to shoot the best groups in both Ruger and Buckmark pistols. I never had a failure to fire with either brand in a rimfire pistol.

Today was my first range time with the Bisley and I found that both brands shot similar groups at 10 yds and 25 yds with Remingtons being slighty tighter. I shot nearly 100 rounds of both, and all lit up on every trigger pull.

Snake45

Hawkeye
D625, my experience is that .22 ammo from a decade ago (or older) is more reliable than today's stuff, especially today's bulk-grade stuff.

I have some Rem .22 ammo I bought in the mid '70s, and it still shoots fine and lights off at just about 100%.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I shoot the Remingon 22's in my Super Single Six and I think I have them figured out. They shoot pretty dirty, to the point that after 300 rounds or so, the rounds don't quite seat all the way in the cylinder, leaving a tiny gap. When the firing pin hits, there's the possibility that instead of firing, the whole cartridge move forward that tiny distance, absorbing the blow and causing a FTF. Try firing these duds again, and almost 99% of the time they go off.

I give my cylinder a quick brushing after 200 rounds or so to prevent that. Takes a minute.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pal Val":22euon3s said:
I shoot the Remingon 22's in my Super Single Six and I think I have them figured out. They shoot pretty dirty, to the point that after 300 rounds or so, the rounds don't quite seat all the way in the cylinder, leaving a tiny gap. When the firing pin hits, there's the possibility that instead of firing, the whole cartridge move forward that tiny distance, absorbing the blow and causing a FTF. Try firing these duds again, and almost 99% of the time they go off.

I give my cylinder a quick brushing after 200 rounds or so to prevent that. Takes a minute.
Something similar happens with .22 DA revolvers. Burned and/or unburned powder will get under the extractor star, making the cylinder very difficult to turn until it's brushed out.

But this isn't just a Remington ammo problem, it can and will happen with any kind.

Come to think of it, I had a similar problem as you describe (dirty chambering) with my Ruger MK II last year. Was getting a lot of misfires in what had been a very reliable pistol. Had to stop and brush out the chamber, which cleared it right up. And this was with the Federal bulk ammo, which is normally extremely clean shooting.