Redhawk collectors, I have a box question.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lharrell79

Single-Sixer
Hello all. Today I picked up a 7.5" 41 Mag Redhawk, with box, manual, plastic bag, original grips. The gentleman said he was the original owner, and bought it 26 years ago. That would put the purchase date at 1990. The revolver dates to 1988. The manual, 5-86. The box, September 1984. Everything checks out so far. Here's where I'm confused. The box is your typical yellow ruger cardboard box. The end label is the correct 41 Magnum KRH-41. However, the inside flap of the box has, "DA 44 MAG". Did Ruger ship the 41 and 357 in the regular 44 MAG box and just slap an appropriate sticker on it? Or did this guy take a 44 MAG box and put a sticker on it himself?

Either way, I got the revolver for a great price, so the box isn't that big of a deal. I'm just wondering if his story checks out, and he's the original owner.

lharrell79

Single-Sixer
WP_20160117_009.jpg

WP_20160117_010.jpg

WP_20160117_011.jpg

WP_20160117_012.jpg

hittman

Staff member
I'll have to see if I have a cardboard Redhawk box and look there. I'd GUESS that "DA44MAG" is stamped by whatever company manufactures the boxes for Ruger but ..... only a GUESS.

To me, looks like a legit box but hopefully others will chime in soon.

lharrell79

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
I'll have to see if I have a cardboard Redhawk box and look there. I'd GUESS that "DA44MAG" is stamped by whatever company manufactures the boxes for Ruger but ..... only a GUESS.

To me, looks like a legit box but hopefully others will chime in soon.

I'm thinking it might be legit also. I keep asking myself, why would somebody take a 41 Mag label and stick it on a 44 Mag box? If the seller had the 41 Mag label, he probably got it off of an original box. The only thing I can think, is maybe the original box was destroyed or in pieces, and he bought a 44 Mag box and stuck the label on it.

right box, right label, that printing on the inside is the makers markings, have only seen that a couple of times, guess a left over in the printing 'stock'. Ruger shipped LOTS of guns, all different barrel lengths, in those same sized boxes, and still continue today for the "send back safety updates"

trapperon

Blackhawk
Yes--I agree that is the original box. If the gentleman you bought it from was the original owner, maybe ask him if he has the outer carton that the box you have was shipped in. This would be brown corrugated cardboard and would have the actual serial number written on it. then you would have a total package! Could be a long shot if he didnt give it to you when you bought it---but certainly worth asking him.

Ron

lharrell79

Single-Sixer
Sweet, thanks for all the help and info. I think I got a pretty good deal, so I'm happy with it. The guys story just seemed too good to be true. Said he bought it 26 years ago, when he was 18. Said he only fired 20 rounds through it. He even showed me the original 50 box of ammo that had 20 spent cases and 30 live cases in it.

The revolver is absolutely flawless. I cleaned it up today, and it looks dang close to new, and has a really nice set of factory grips. They're almost blonde, with dark tiger stripes. I've got the box, manual, the clear bag with red ruger stamps, and a small piece of brown wax paper (I'm not sure what this was used for). All I need is the little yellow cylinder protector. Anybody know where I can get one of those?

kevin masten

Blackhawk
The oiled paper goes between the hammer and frame! Why Ruger placed the paper there, on a stainless revolver, is a mystery to me. I have a number of early RH revolvers and have never seen the plastic disc between the cylinder and frame???

lharrell79

Single-Sixer
kevin masten said:
The oiled paper goes between the hammer and frame! Why Ruger placed the paper there, on a stainless revolver, is a mystery to me. I have a number of early RH revolvers and have never seen the plastic disc between the cylinder and frame???

This one dates to 1988. Do you think that would have had the yellow donut?

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Ruger used the plastic disc with it's Security Six revolvers and even on it's Single Six revolvers from time to time! There Does not seem to be a consistency there as it (disc) is not always present. The disc seemed to be in place as a cushion for the firing pin to prevent striking the cylinder??

Whether it would be correct or incorrect for your year, I cannot say. None of mine have it. Maybe someone else will add to the post.

trapperon

Blackhawk
did you have a chance to check with the original owner about the cardboard "outer box"? I think that is what you would need to make it a "complete package" as it has your guns serial number written on it from the factory.
the box you have was inside this one.

I think those early redhawks were very well put together--unlike the hit and miss of their quality today!

Ron

good answers above, and most of the time them disc got taken out by the dealers, I've had and seen MORE on the Ruger double actions that used to come in the shop back then....if you give me the diameter or the ratchets, (the center hole comes in difference sizes as well as colors), I can send you one, got 'em all over the place over here , tried to sell them years ago but no one wanted ANY of them oh well...............

hittman

Staff member
If Dan doesn't have one for you, I might. Will try tonight to check my Redhawk (and other) boxes to see if I have one that'll fit.

hittman

Staff member
I've got a yellow disc to donate to your cause.
Shoot me a PM with your name and address and I'll get it in the mail to you soon.

lharrell79

Single-Sixer
Also, for anyone that has a yellow donut. The measurements for the 41 Mag cylinder are as follows:

Cylinder diameter = 1.75"
Extractor diameter = .5"
Thickness = .0625" or 1/16"

Let me know if you have one this size.

Latest posts