Redhawk barrel leading

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thumbs

Single-Sixer
I know there are a bunch of reasons for leading. But I would like to ask you guys that are shooting hardcast what powder are you using to keep the leading down?

thanks

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
BBL smoothing.
LARGE O.D. bullets[ .002" over groove diameter] with anykind of soft lube that includes ALOX 4138F[?]
The appropriate propellents.
Primers can matter for those who like to test for the best.

And so it goes...

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Mostly H110/W296 and 2400.

Measure your piece: cylinder throats, groove diameter (you don't want groove bigger than cylinder). My throats are .4325. Had a constriction at the frame threads (.003, IIRC)
Like Wil said, check for tool marks. I had those, too.

I firelapped mine and cast my own at .433. No more leading.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Ok so 296 is a good powder right? I know it has to be loaded up. No downloading with 296 right? The thing here is I have a bunch of bullets. I am trying to find a way to make them work. With my 9mm there is no problem with leading using 700x but that same powder in the .44 another story. The idea is to use a slow burning powder right?

thanks

thumbs said:
Ok so 296 is a good powder right? I know it has to be loaded up. No downloading with 296 right? The thing here is I have a bunch of bullets. I am trying to find a way to make them work. With my 9mm there is no problem with leading using 700x but that same powder in the .44 another story. The idea is to use a slow burning powder right?

thanks
Quite frankly, leading is not an powder problem. It is a fit problem. As already mentioned. Measure the cylinder throats, and shoot that size or .001 to .002 larger. With cast lead bullets 10-12 BHN hardness. If that leads look for other causes, like tool marks, rough barrel etc.
gramps

jsh

Single-Sixer
Your question is wide open for the most part. All the above answers could be correct.
Size is king for sure.
Do you have thread choke?
Is your bore spotless from jacket material and carbon?
Lube is another thing. Most commercial made for the masses cast bullets have a generic, no better than crayon lube on them. It is made to look pretty and not come of in shipping.
If you are shooting a bevel based bullet that is undersized with poor lube you will have problems, no matter how hard it is.
Once leading starts it will only get worse. It will not fix its self. FYI as leading builds in a barrel it moves toward the chamber rather away from it.
Yes sometimes some powders may tend to lead. IMO it is a pressure curve thing. A fast powder swats it in the hind end hard and fast, thus "slugging" it up to bore size. Maybe why unique tends to work in darn near every caliber out there with a cast bullet, and work good to excellent.
I have shot cast in everything from a 22 hornet to 458 Lott with a so called jacketed powder. When everything is in order you can get low to medium jacketed speeds in them. I have fooled with the 30's enough in 06 and 300wm to achieve good accuracy and speed, 240-2700fps with a 180. Not just a couple of shoots and say it was a success. Most of my range sessions are 40+ rounds.
I know this may rile the troops, but I don't try to "blow" the leading out with a jacketed bullet. I tried it once, worst mess I ever had myself.
I also refuse to shoot jacketed in my CB guns.
There is no witch craft in shooting cast. May be a little more time and work involved but it is worth it in the long run.
Sorry to be so long winded but I just couldn't stand it not making an attempt to save you any more issues.
Jeff