Recahmber NM '30 Carbine Blackhawk to .327?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well, the case base diameter of the Carbine round is larger than the same dimension on the .327 so that's a potential problem. Hard to ream a chamber smaller. :lol:

The .327 uses .312" bullets while the Carbine uses .308" bullets . . . not sure the Carbine barrel would like those larger bullets, but have you tried .32-20 in your gun? I'm told it works in the New Models.

The Carbine is a 40,000 psi round while the .327 is a 45,000 psi round. So it would be sorta ".30 Carbine +P". (No SAAMI spec for that)

I'll leave further commentary to Hondo44's experience. :)

Thanks! I came to the same conclusion after a look at "Cartridges of the World"! So I would need a custom cylinder that has only pilot holes in the chambers? Somebody makes those (Power Custom???), so I'd need to get one of those. It's a thought. I mainly want the .327 so I can shoot WEAKER .32s in it (S&W Long and H&R Magnum), not the .327. My main use for .32s is small game and plinking; for bigger stuff I'd use the .30 or a rifle.

I DO shoot .32-20s in my .30 NM (more than .30 Carbine), but I mainly save the brass for my single shot rifles. Black Hills "Cowboy" .32-20s are great small game ctgs. and then you have their Starline cases to make excellent rifle brass!

Mike Armstrong said:
I DO shoot .32-20s in my .30 NM (more than .30 Carbine), but I mainly save the brass for my single shot rifles. Black Hills "Cowboy" .32-20s are great small game ctgs. and then you have their Starline cases to make excellent rifle brass!

Thanks for a first-hand confirmation on this! :mrgreen:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Well , you could just download the 30 carbines. It downloads very well but no one lists them because they will not cycle the semi-auto.
I bought a couple of simple Lee bullet sizers (.308,.309 ) so I could use the multitude of .311 cast bullets that are available.
That and a case full of TrailBoss should get you close to what you want.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You'll find the .32 H&R Mag and the .327 Federal Mag much more fun to shoot without the ear splitting report of the 30 carbine round. Performance of the .327 Fed Mag is closer to the 30 Carbine and with fine accuracy. In a reamed .30 M1 cylinder, the cases will expand only an extra .007" per side or so. You may get a split case occasionally with much reloaded used brass near the middle of the case, but not usually. If you reload you don't have to full length resize and therefore not unnecessarily overwork the brass. Therefore not worth the cost of a custom cyl instead reaming a .30 M1 cyl.

The .312" bullets may tend to raise pressure slightly in the smaller .308" barrel although of no consequence in the robust Ruger cyl and way under its max pressure limits. And you may have some leading with lead bullets depending on hardness. But you'll have good accuracy.

Like needsmostuff posted:
As a no cyl conversion cost alternative if you reload your .30 M1 ammo, you may just try using .327 loading data for whatever weight .308" bullets you choose.

Reactions: JCK

Johnnu2

Hunter
Several years ago (+/- 10) I noticed a very well known/respected gunsmith was offering a complete conversion to .32-20 on Ruger OM .30 Carbines. He was using the original barrel for these conversions. I called him to understand his expertise on using a .308" bbl. for a cartridge what typically is loaded with .311-.313" bullets. He said 'absolutely' not a problem. I further asked if this 'no problem opinion' was restricted to using lead bullet vs. jacketed. He again said 'no problem' using either in a Ruger OM .30Carbine bbl. When I finally went for a conversion of my gun, I had a proper .32 cal bbl installed (and since I was going for the extra expense, I had the gunsmith put on an octagon bbl.

J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Jim,
I'm embarrassed to say that I never asked him what bbl manufacturer he used.....In fact, I assumed that he may have fabricated it in his shop... :oops:
The work was done by Andy Horvath so, I assumed "perfection"... As it turned out, the gun shot 'patterns' rather than "groups". Andy said to send it back and called to tell me that his cutting tool had worn out and created slightly oval chambers. He built a new cylinder and all was well after that. Here are three pics of that gun....Earlier pic with orig grip panels. It's HEAVY.

Just an FYI, Andy was NOT the gunsmith that I had originally contacted with my question about his using the .308 bbls.

J.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Very nice! He does do great work!

Yeah, I bet that oct barrel and unfluted cyl does add a lot of weight. Especially for such a small caliber.

Did you consider a midsize frame conversion since you changed the barrel and cyl anyway?

Johnnu2

Hunter
A mid-size frame would have been the right way to go, but I wasn't that knowledgeable at the time I had the conversion on my mind. In fact, I hate to admit it..... I just thought of it NOW... :D

J.

contender

Ruger Guru
NICE looking gun there! I LIKE it!

Well, having a Blackhawk in .327, I'd say that a heavier framed gun makes it handle like a pussycat. VERY comfortable to shoot.

Many folks feel the heavier guns are "too much" for smaller calibers,,, but I tend to enjoy the added weight,, as it does help dampen recoil,,, and makes shooting pleasant.
Kinda like the older 6 shot .357 Redhawks.. SWEET shooters.

Maz2331

Bearcat
Well, in theory it is possible to convert a 30 Carbine to fire .327 Federal Mags, but that would require welding new steel inside the cylinder chambers, reboring the chambers, then heat treating the entire cylinder properly. And even then, it is as likely to just grenade on the first round fired as to work well. It would be way cheaper to just buy an SP-101 or GP-100 in .327 than to go down this road at all.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

In theory, you can do anything.

It's the practical application that makes the differences. Locally, there's an ad I hear about a "Custom car shop." They advertise that they can do anything, that everything is customizable.
What's NOT mentioned is the expense it would take.

Same with guns.

jgt

Buckeye
The gunsmith that use to offer cylinder blanks with pilot holes was Hamilton Bowen. The last time I visited his site he had a notice that he no longer offered them. He may furnish them to other gunsmiths, but I got from his notice he no longer offers them to the general public.