RCBS auto bench primer?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
In another post I asked about bench primers. Leaning towards the RCBS auto bench primer. Anyone tell me about good or bad of one? Does it drop primers accurately every time? Solid? Have to use their shellholders? Any users help appreciated. Thanks. Triker

I've bee priming my brass in separate steps for over 50 years. Worn out a lot of hand held ones. I finally tried the RCBS bench priming tool. Gives good feel when seating, uses the standard RCBS shell holders. I like it. I'm not in a big hurry when I'm loading and I like to watch the tool function. Made one minor upgrade as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTKWXPahks8
highly recommended.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I've used the bench primer since 1984. The major issue (which is minor) is the last primer or two often hang up. The fix is to add a roughly 3" piece of 1/8 brass rod on top of the primers. This does two things. Add weight to prevent the hang ups and act as auto stop when primers are gone.

The video looks awfully slow. I run the tool with my right hand and feed/remove brass with my left. Very fast and easy.

I also heated and bent the handle down another ~30* so I could run it seated more easily. It also helped with feel.

I'm going to try the rubber band thing, but I don't expect much change.