quick powder question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
I think I read somewhere that win231 is the same powder as hp38? Is this true? I just wanted to verify that fact?

Hi,

I see several similar claims regarding a couple of popular powders. Some seem to have become more prevalent since Hodgdon's became the distributor for Winchester and IMR powders as well as their own brand.

Personally, my own feeling is W231 is W231, and HP38 is HP38. MAYBE they come out of the same bin into the bottles, but I don't know that. However, IF they're IDENTICAL, AND they're distributed by the same company, WHY have duplicate brands?

If you check today's recipes from Hodgdon's, you may find some identical recipes between the two. You may find ALL the recipes are the same. If so, it may be safe to interchange the two. But I would still NOT advise it, nor make a claim they're identical. Let's just say over the years I've seen some discrepancies that raise the "Are you sure about that?" question.

In particular, if you've got some older "pre-merger" W231, W296, or HS-6, I'd suggest you use data published about the same time the powder was produced. There ARE some differences in the older data we don't see so much w/ the newer data. It's hard to be "too safe" w/ stuff that goes "boom" right next to body parts most of us would kinda like to keep!

Rick C

Thanks! I asked because I just got a new reloading manual (Hornaday's No. 9, the newest). It lists win231 but I can't find any listings for hp38. But like I said, I just got it today. I'll read it more in-depth in the next few days.

It's interesting you advise to use similar age manuals with similarly aged powders. That is something I wouldn't have considered, but really makes sense. I'm sure the powder companies tweak their recipes from time to time. Thanks again.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Current production of HP-38 and W231 is the same and the online data is the same.

Current production of H-110 and W296 is the same and the online data is the same.

Older product may not be the same.