Questions about 10/22 bolt cycling and auto releases

Help Support Ruger Forum:

larryg

Bearcat
I'm thinking about a 10/22, but struggling to understand cycling the bolt. Apparently from factory, switching a manual lock is required to hold the bolt open, and also to release it. These are both two-hand operations?

An automatic bolt release, such as the VQ - does it still require the two-handed maneuver to hold it open?

Finally, what is the cycle when replacing the magazine? Can the magazine be replaced with the bolt closed and then cycled to load a round?

Hangfire

Bearcat
With the auto bolt release installed on my 10/22's I can drop the mag with my second finger, while pulling the bolt back with my thumb and then sliding the second finger over to depress the bolt lock. It takes a lot of practice but I have shot a lot of timed segments of 10 rounds with mag change in 55 seconds with rifle grounded, bolt open, safety on, and a chamber flag installed.

And yes you can install a mag with the bolt closed as well as open.

The factory bolt lock and close is the one thing I really don't like about the 10/22... two choices... buy an after market one for a couple of bucks plus shipping or 'fix' the factory one...

somewhere in the past year I've posted pictures of the filing you have to do to the original... you can do it by hand or with a drimel tool... not very hard to do at all... I'll look for the post....

the one thing that happens on the last round on a 10/22 is the bolt does not lock back... unless you are counting the rounds you will dry fire on an empty chamber ... not a problem with the 10.22... then you drop the empty mag, insert a full mag and cycle the bolt...let the bolt fall shut on its own don't feed the round in slow or it might not set right. If you've got an older 10/22 (less than a year old) then you should also get an extended mag release.

I just realized it is a lot easier just to repost the picture I did of the before and after work on the mag release part....
boltrelease.jpg

most folks that do this modification don't do the upper right part filing... but I think it actually makes the release of the bolt a little easier when you pull it back.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
One thing to mention on modifying the factory bolt lock. When you file off the little pointy part of the heart shaped hole you want that to be rounded a bit (notice how the volquartzen one is a bit more rounded then blumes). If its straight it can still not release. I didnt do anything with the other part that blume filed off an mine still works fine.

Some aftermarket ones have a longer lever part where you push on it. Could be worth the money if you have trouble finding it on the factory one.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I really like the Power Custom auto release because it is longer and serrated and much easier to manipulate.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I'm w/ Hangfire that a bit of practice is all it takes to manage the factory system. But I don't shoot in gloves where it's really cold, so maybe I'd change my mind if I did.

Otherwise, I just live w/ the quirks... If I decided not to, I'd probably buy a second factory part if I was gonna do my own filing (just in case I mess something up, you know?) or just let VQ do their thing and send me one ready to go.

Rick C

MrScott

Bearcat
Remember too that with the non-stock configuration the bolt will release if you get any sudden impact to your rifle, especially in the same direction as the bore axis. Like bumping the butt on the ground.

Don't get me wrong - I like them and have one on my 10/22, but be forewarned.