Question on squirrel hunting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Passtime

Bearcat
I used to use #5 or #6 but now I use .22 LR CPRN. I got tired of pickin the shot out of my teeth. I've been hunting squirrel with an iron sight .22 for about 40 years. For me it is more of a challenge.

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
#4 or #5 - less shot to pick out. I used to hunt with a 20 gauge, but if I go now I use my Ruger 77/22 with Leupold 2X-7X rimfire scope. The problem with squirrel hunting in SE Oklahoma is that all the big oaks & hickory trees in the bottoms and ridges are gone due to the clearcutting that was started in the early 1970's.

Cedar Creek

John S

Bearcat
Will loaded some 3" Fed. with 40.0 grs. of Blue Dot and 1 1/2 ozs. of #6's. That should get a squirrel???? About 1200 FPS

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
toysoldier said:
:?: :?: :?:
Shotgun for squirrels? I thought that's what a good .22 rifle was for.

That's what I thought too...

CC... I've got 12 acres of old growth white oaks trees, just full of acorns, you can come shot all the little varmints you can haul home.

96/44

Blackhawk
I have always used #4, or a .22. #4 tends not to make as many holes, and most of the pellets will go all the way through.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

The few tree squirrels, and almost all the countless ground squirrels, I've ever taken were shot w/ a .22 cal air rifle...

We had a "house rule," courtesy of my mother: "No shotgunned rabbits will be brought into my kitchen!" Story goes when they were first married, my father would shoot rabbits in the head w/ a .22, which was just fine w/ her. One day he went out pheasant hunting, and didn't raise any, so he popped a bunny w/ a load of #6s to avoid coming home empty handed. She was NOT pleased w/ pulling fur out of shot holes. So I guess I just kind of extended her rule a bit further from rabbits to include even just the shooting of squirrels (though nobody I know would eat a ground squirrel 'cept the coyotes!)

However, if I were going after tree squirrels w/ a shotgun, methinks I'd follow the advice about some #4s, and a light load of 'em, too. Shouldn't take too many hits w/ that size shot...

Rick C

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
Surprised there aren't any old timers on here to tell you to graze the squirrels head with the edge of the pattern. Don't destroy meat like that!

But if you're not that good, I like the 4 shot logic on here. I've done some light squirrel hunting with a 28 ga and 6 or 7 1/2, but it seems like I'd always ruin the meat with a lot of shot pellets, or I'd hit him in the tail end and not get enough penetration.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I like to use my Ruger AirHawk .177 pellet rifle. Pellets travel around 1,000 fps and it is plenty accurate to 30 or 40 yards. 8)

John S

Bearcat
BlackEagle said:
I like to use my Ruger AirHawk .177 pellet rifle. Pellets travel around 1,000 fps and it is plenty accurate to 30 or 40 yards. 8)
In Texas you can not hunt squirrels with a pellet rifle.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
1down2across said:
I used to use #5 or #6 but now I use .22 LR CPRN. I got tired of pickin the shot out of my teeth. I've been hunting squirrel with an iron sight .22 for about 40 years. For me it is more of a challenge.

1+ on the Remington CBLR. Leaves squirrels DRT!

Corbi

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
John S said:
BlackEagle said:

John...can you even eat those squirrels in Texas ?????

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
John S said:
BlackEagle said:

That is a shame.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
When I squirrel hunted as a kid I would always use a shotgun with 4's. Early in the year theirs a lot of leaves still on the trees & all you might see is a tail.
I miss those days of sneeking up a dry creek bed listening for squirrels feeding.
4's would cut through the leaves better & some of those big Fox Squirrels were pretty tuff & 2 shots were required. Don't get me wrong I would all so would use a 22 a lot.
But probably in the past 10 yrs. I go with my buddy's cousin who uses dogs.
And I have to say its a blast. You just walk through the woods & let the dogs do the work. Once you here them tree you go over to them & their might be 1 squirrel or 4. All he asks is you shoot them in the head with a 22. I've got a10/22 target that's just perfect for that task.
Usally theirs at least 3 or 4 of us hunting at a time & he hardly shoots anymore so you get to do a lot of squirrel sniping. And the good part is he does most all the cleaning out in the woods as soon as their shot.
It's nothing for him to get 150 or more a year.
He knows a lot of people who love squirrel meat & gives most away.
These people eat everything head,brains.

Passtime

Bearcat
SweetWilliam said:
When I squirrel hunted as a kid I would always use a shotgun with 4's. Early in the year theirs a lot of leaves still on the trees & all you might see is a tail.
I miss those days of sneeking up a dry creek bed listening for squirrels feeding.
4's would cut through the leaves better & some of those big Fox Squirrels were pretty tuff & 2 shots were required. Don't get me wrong I would all so would use a 22 a lot.
But probably in the past 10 yrs. I go with my buddy's cousin who uses dogs.
And I have to say its a blast. You just walk through the woods & let the dogs do the work. Once you here them tree you go over to them & their might be 1 squirrel or 4. All he asks is you shoot them in the head with a 22. I've got a10/22 target that's just perfect for that task.
Usally theirs at least 3 or 4 of us hunting at a time & he hardly shoots anymore so you get to do a lot of squirrel sniping. And the good part is he does most all the cleaning out in the woods as soon as their shot.
It's nothing for him to get 150 or more a year.
He knows a lot of people who love squirrel meat & gives most away.
These people eat everything head,brains.

Like... :D

Rick Courtright said:
We had a "house rule," courtesy of my mother: "No shotgunned rabbits will be brought into my kitchen!"
Rick C

As kids, mom would help clean squirrels and ducks but no rabbits! When we brought home rabbit we cleaned and she would cook them. It had more to do with the smell.

Back to the OP. When younger I used #6's but now squirrels are taken with my Marlin Model 60 .22lr HP's.