Question on old flatgate Sgl Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

swobard

Bearcat
Looking for some advice - I've got an older Sgl Six (1955) in good shape mechanically, but the bluing is pretty much gone. The metal is primarily gray, and remaining blue almost appears as "mottling".

I've seriously considered having this re-blued for it's looks. I intend to give to one of my sons, maybe soon, and would love to have it look nicer upon delivery. BUT - I'm concerned it might be unwise in terms of whatever little collector value it might have.

The 'transfer bar conversion' has been done, and I have the old parts.

Thanks! I appreciate any recommendations / suggestions.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Refinishing does cut down collector value, but, if it's been fired a lot, that also cuts collector value..... I'd say it's a draw.

wwb

Hunter
If there is almost no finish remaining, it's not much of a collectible. If you intend to pass it down through the generations, I vote for sending it to Ruger for a re-blue.

If the condition (loss of blue and mottling) occurred through good honest use, I would tend to leave the "patina" and pass it along as a family heirloom to be shot and used like a Ruger should... I have a couple of old flatgates with very little finish remaining except in very protected spots and they they are my absolute favorite handguns. Every time I use them/clean them I end up thinking about the stories those guns could tell. If I refinished them it seems that action would take some of those stories or at least the reminders away.

It'll be a nice gun either way - as a refinished shiny example, or a well used "using" kind of gun.

nothing 'wrong' with having anything "nice" it served its purpose and let the next generations have it to start over again.if its done 'right' it will NOT be "shiny & bright,' but the way its supposed to look, RESTORED...if a gun LOOKS reblued, then it most likely was, a job properly done, looks like it supposed to................been doing this for years
Nothing wrong with the factory doing it, but with shipping back and forth, can get a bit pricy, call and get a quote.....................or for a top notch job down your way, contact Alan Harton over near Houston

G2

Hunter
I'm with cellar701

It took 50 plus years to put all that good o'l honest wear on it. Clean it and enjoy it.

Guns,,, used to set off a controled explosion and send a projectile down range in a somewhat accurate manner.

Nice "Patina" is hard to replicate,

if you really want a nice perty gun, spend the refinish bucks towards a collector grade gun and you will allways get your money back and then some.

G2 said:
I'm with cellar701

It took 50 plus years to put all that good o'l honest wear on it. Clean it and enjoy it.

Guns,,, used to set off a controled explosion and send a projectile down range in a somewhat accurate manner.

Nice "Patina" is hard to replicate,

if you really want a nice perty gun, spend the refinish bucks towards a collector grade gun and you will allways get your money back and then some.

8) +1

I'd leave it alone, but that's JMHO.

A thought . . . give the gun to your kid and tell him you'll pay for a refinish if he wants it done. That way he can decide about the "family experience" aspect of the gun.

:)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:

A thought . . . give the gun to your kid and tell him you'll pay for a refinish if he wants it done. That way he can decide about the "family experience" aspect of the gun.

+1 That's the best answer I've heard. I think he'll be just as happy knowing he's getting an heirloom. And when he gets that first scratch on it, he won't feel so bad. I think it's like a kids first car; a safe clunker is better to learn to take care of it then an expensive new one.

He if he also inherited that 'faulty gun gene'; it won't be his last gun for sure. He may eventually find he'd like one with a target sight or 22 auto , a centerfire, or whatever. Then you could put the money into that for his next present.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:

+1 That's the best answer I've heard. I think he'll be just as happy knowing he's getting an heirloom. And when he gets that first scratch on it, he won't feel so bad. I think it's like a kids first car; a safe clunker is better to learn to take care of then an expensive new one.

He if he also inherited that 'faulty gun gene'; it won't be his last gun for sure. He may eventually find he'd like one with a target sight or 22 auto , a centerfire, or whatever. Then you could put the money into that for his next present.

My opinion is that if it is a 'shooter' it really doesn't matter too much what it looks like so long as it is still original and still goes "BANG" when you squeeze the trigger.

swobard

Bearcat
I really appreciate the time you guys have taken to offer your perspectives and suggestions!

I've talked with Ruger, stripped the gun down and looked it over closely (twice now) and think I've reached a decision! We'll see if I feel the same way tomorrow

Appreciate all of y'all!

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
I had the same delima. had a flat gate, produced year of my birth. Perfect except for grip frame had some rug and nick areas, blueing on rest of gun is perfecet and unconverted.

Took about a year, found one wiht blueing about 85%, typical wear at muzzle etc. but a perfect grip frame.

Now I have one that is 95%+ that I treasure (switched grip frames) and a 2nd gun that is a great shooter. Can't belive how good the trigger is on these old guns. Definitley pre-lawer population explosion. Now if lawyers were declared varmints....

RugerHound

Hunter
SteelShooter said:
I had the same delima. had a flat gate, produced year of my birth. Perfect except for grip frame had some rug and nick areas, blueing on rest of gun is perfecet and unconverted.

Took about a year, found one wiht blueing about 85%, typical wear at muzzle etc. but a perfect grip frame.

Now I have one that is 95%+ that I treasure (switched grip frames) and a 2nd gun that is a great shooter. Can't belive how good the trigger is on these old guns. Definitley pre-lawer population explosion. Now if lawyers were declared varmints....

Lawyers ARE varmints.... Just that there's no open season on 'em... *yet* ;) :lol:

Latest posts