Question on Mounts For M77 MKII Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

QB

Single-Sixer
I just purchased a M77 MKII compact rifle in .223. It doesn't have sights but does come with scope rings.

I am only using this rifle to plink with at the range and really wanted to use an Aimpoint Micro Sight (H-1).

(1) Is there a rail I can buy that will attach to the MKII in order to use the H-1? I was going to take the rifle to the gunshow this weekend to see what I might find but the shipping is delayed and I won't have the rifle in time.

I may also be interested in just using iron sights.
(2) Should a competent gunsmith be able to add iron sights? I saw some M77 models with sights and didn't know if they could be added to my rifle.

If all else fails I'll purchase a scope but was just wondering what my options were.

Thanks

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Not familiar with the H-1, so I'll leave that for someone else.

NECG makes some nice iron sights for the M77 MkII. The only issue is the front sight is sized for a diameter of 0.550" at the tip. Your Compact barrel may be different.

Ted

Retsoff

Bearcat
Not being familiar with the Aimpoint H-1, I looked it up and the description states that it has an integral picatinny/weaver mount. If this is correct, Burris (and I think B-Square but I'm not sure) makes a Ruger to Weaver scope mount adapter, which as the name implies has the multiple Weaver slots. However, I don't know if they make one to fit your particular Ruger. You can do a web search and probably find this out or perhaps you can call Burris or B-Square to ask this question. I must tell you, that though I've never used these, the reviews/opinions I have read are mixed on how good these are.

One other thought, you can go to Midway USA'a site and, if they sell it, there might be existing reviews for you to read.

Good luck.

QB

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info. Think I'll just have some iron sights put on but will continue to research the rail option.