Question on a Service Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wizofwas

Buckeye
So I picked up this Service Six because
A. The price was right
B. I didn't have s Service Six yet and
C. It looks like it came from a Police Department

Nothing really special about it, except the stamping of N.B.P.D. 133 on the left side. So, I'm just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on this revolver. SN is 159-48xxx

I didn't find anything in Chad's book on this. And I'm still trying to learn about the Six Series revolvers. The only thing that I know for sure about them is that I'm hooked on them now.

Wiz,
If it didn't have any importation marks (CAI) then it is probably from the US somewhere. If it has the CAI marking, then maybe New Brunswick PD? Even if you lettered it, that probably would not tell you the PD name.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Wiz,

Nice pick up!! How goes it. You ever get down this way again let me know. I'll do the same if I get up your way.

Chuck

wizofwas

Buckeye
Ron, I looked for any other marks on it but didn't see any. And I'm not sure where I'd find an import mark anyway. I was told that it might have come from the New Brunswick, NJ PD. But your guess is as good as mine. The stamp on the left side doesn't look like anything that Ruger did, so I don't think that it would letter as anything special.

Ginzo, still doing good, except for this darn Six Series problem that I have. And most of them have been too good of a deal to turn down. I'll let you know next time I'm down there, but it'll probably be around Christmas time again.

wizofwas

Buckeye
edlmann said:
New Brunswick would be NBPP for provincial police. Try New Braunfels, TX.
Yes, I was thinking that too about the Canadian New Brunswick. And I really think that there would be way to many towns and/or cities with the initials of NB to even start trying to research them all.

357 Terms

Bearcat
The manufacture date puts it at 1983 (per serial #)

As for the markings, I could only guess.

Nice six!!

edlmann said:
New Brunswick would be NBPP for provincial police. Try New Braunfels, TX.

Good point, they are called PP's more than PD's up north.

New Braunfels, TX is a very good bet as is New Brunswick,NJ. It is possible that Ruger could tell you who bought it, although as with past performances they probably won't.

Typically, small town PD's (small number of LEO's) don't mark their guns but the bigger PD's do to make it easier to keep track of the issue guns.

Wiz, Ruger would not have marked them. They have only factory marked a handful of guns for PD's IIRC. NYCPD is one, but they didn't mark the Six series guns they bought, but did the GP100's (GPNY/SPNY on the side of frame). The Six series that NYCPD bought were marked with a star on the inside of the frame where the crane covers it. It was marked by the NYCPD armorers when the gun was accepted.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Other than its a DAMN NICE GUN, no it's nothing special! I'll take it when you get tired of it................. I don't have a Service Six yet. :mrgreen:

Wiz, don't we all have the "six" series problem? Mine bleeds over to humpbacks, I have 2 flavors now. I'll be glad to visit with you anytime, next visit will be longer. It was my pleasure to meet you!

At least where ever it came from, they did a proper job stamping it instead of buggering it up. Doesn't take away from the appearance.

wizofwas said:
Ron, I looked for any other marks on it but didn't see any. And I'm not sure where I'd find an import mark anyway. I was told that it might have come from the New Brunswick, NJ PD. But your guess is as good as mine. The stamp on the left side doesn't look like anything that Ruger did, so I don't think that it would letter as anything special.

Ginzo, still doing good, except for this darn Six Series problem that I have. And most of them have been too good of a deal to turn down. I'll let you know next time I'm down there, but it'll probably be around Christmas time again.

wizofwas

Buckeye
RoninPA said:
Wiz, Ruger would not have marked them. They have only factory marked a handful of guns for PD's IIRC. NYCPD is one, but they didn't mark the Six series guns they bought, but did the GP100's (GPNY/SPNY on the side of frame). The Six series that NYCPD bought were marked with a star on the inside of the frame where the crane covers it. It was marked by the NYCPD armorers when the gun was accepted.
Ron, I looked through Chad's book for anything that was even close to the markings on this revolver and nada. And yes, under the crane was the first place I looked for any markings when I first saw this revolver, I looked again and still nothing. I agree that Ruger probably won't tell me who they sold this too and I'm thinking that if I called some of the possible PD's that they wouldn't tell me anything either. I was just hoping that someone here on the RF would have some info on this, like maybe a "hey, I have a N.B.P.D. 99" and was able to tell me something about it. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. And who knows, maybe someone will do so yet. One can only hope.

wizofwas

Buckeye
ginzo said:
Other than its a DAMN NICE GUN, no it's nothing special! I'll take it when you get tired of it................. I don't have a Service Six yet. :mrgreen:

Wiz, don't we all have the "six" series problem? Mine bleeds over to humpbacks, I have 2 flavors now. I'll be glad to visit with you anytime, next visit will be longer. It was my pleasure to meet you!

At least where ever it came from, they did a proper job stamping it instead of buggering it up. Doesn't take away from the appearance.
LOL, I didn't have one either till this one popped up. The person that sold it to me knew he had me when I mentioned that. I was just thankful that he had mentioned the price before I said that.
And I just have a Ruger problem, thankfully it's only a few that I'm really hooked on. But there are a few others that if I find them at the right price, I'll snag them just to fill a few holes in my collection.

Latest posts