Question about wear on a rimfire at the extractor cutout.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
When I was a kid, my grandad bought me a used single shot Remington .22 bolt action. It had been shot a LOT and I put many more thousands of rounds thru it. Eventually one day I noticed a huge bulge in the fired case. It was occuring right in front of the case rim of where the extractor grabs the rim. The extremely thin part of the barrel, at the breech, which is cut out for the extractor had apparently worn down to almost nothing, and a tiny amount of case was now unsupported. The gun was near worthless anyway and it was simply trashed. I am wondering if this wear occurs because of the rather strong spring scrapping the extractor against the barrel each cycle. Is this something that is typical of high round count rimfires? I suppose it is possible my assessment of what happened is incorrect and it was simply a headspace issue. But the swelling was occuring in just one spot at the extractor.

9x19

Hunter
If the case was bulging into the extractor cut, then something caused the cut to be a weak point and in a high round count, I can imagine the extractor rub did indeed contribute.

Metallurgy (and understanding of it) has improved quite a bit over the years, the first stainless guns were well known for galling until the engineers changed to dis-similar formulations of stainless to mitigate it.

I expect modern rimfires rarely develop such an issue.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Happens on a lot of rimfires. A little work on the extractor takes care of it.

Bill

9x19

Hunter
Interesting... but more specific info would be nice.

Which rim fires?

How have you re-worked the extractors?

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
The Thompson Center 22 Classic rifles had problems chipping the extractor area. The picture below is of the extractor area of my TC 22 Classic after several hundred rounds. I sent it back to TC and they replaced it with a R55 Classic. I had another 22 Classic that also chipped the extractor area that TC replaced with and Encore rifle. I believe there is a way to modify the extractor so the chipping does not occur. The guys over at Rimfire Central have posts on this issue. I have also seen several AMT Mark II clones that have the extractor area chipped badly.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Wolfee....I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Have a look on Volquartzen . com under 1022 kits. They show a good view of their extractor. You can see the shape you need on the area of the extractor that causes the problem. No need to buy the extractor. Just remove yours an take a file to it.

Bill

when an extractor is NOT "properly" fitted, and yes of course, in due time, wear, even 'erosion' over time, that 'thin' taper of material in the cutout is not much to stay there. The extractor shold come to a 'point' and NOT be "humped", not overly rounded out front....often folks will run a "reamer" in the chamber and if there is material "in" the chamber area, it will be cut out and removed...ALWAYS 'swage" ( push out) any divots with a swag tool or even a 'tapered' punch , give it a tap to move it outward....biggest offender in other area of the chamber is dry firing, and again, a firing pin that "protrudes" for whatever reason, beyond the face of the bolt, will cause a divot, in the near area (say 12 or 0ne o'clock).....same repair
when the material is GONE.much like the picture above, it needs to be welded (filled) and the extractor slot recut or the barrel replaced.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Thanks. I'll have a 'smith polish/profile it for me. Me and small parts work don't play well together.