problem with un-mod

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dalei

Bearcat
I have a 3 screw 357 Blackhawk that I have removed the mod parts and replaced them with 357 3 screw original parts that I got online.
Everything went togeather OK. I cycled the action (minus the cylinder) and every thing worked fine. However when I put the cylinder and base
pin in the hammer will not go to full cock. I can pull the base pin out a little and it goes to full cock. Push the pin back in and will not go to
full cock. Almost full cock, but not quite.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dalei

the hand ( pawl) is out of spec for that gun, best to use the 'new one' (conversion) that was fit by the factory to "time" the gun, then it should be "in time" with the cylinder....other wise the old model hand needs to be properly fitted, made to work by a competent gunsmith.......this stuff is NOT always a 'drop in' proposition, lots to be taken in consideration and the need for proper fit, and timing is of the utmost safety proposition...............

Dalei

Bearcat
I will do that. Heading out of here for the week end so have to do that when I get back.
Can't tell you how much I appreciate your input.

Thanks, Dalei

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dalei,

Dan is 100% right. Your replacement pawl that you got with the other original style parts, was fitted to work with the cyl in the gun it came from, not your gun.

Your gun's original pawl and the conversion pawl are the same parts, so no need to change out the pawl that's been fitted to your gun and cylinder! Because it's hooked to the hammer which you have now replaced with an original style hammer, the pawl still may need a little tweaking, but NOT LIKELY.

Dalei

Bearcat
I put the original pawl back in and all works correctly. Timing correct, bolt drops just before pawl starts to pick up and bolt pops up a little before entering the cut.
Full cock with no problem.
Thanks guys, you are awesome!! :D