Price drop?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Probably because people are buying the crap out of those $350 Turkish 1911s that are actually solid guns, and other "name brand " manufacturers have to finally admit they mark up guns obscenely high and now are getting their lunch eaten by Turk gunmakers who are cranking out 1911s, CZ clones, Beretta 92 copies and Hi Powers probably made from recycled M60 tank armor for half the $ as the big boys

Every single person I know who shoots recreationally owns a Tisas 1911, they're like this generations Norinco . For $350 I ordered one off Buds, why not

neorebel

Bearcat
Interesting. I have owned Tisas and found them to be very good.

I for some reason never kept them and have Sigs, Beretta, and my Ruger Mk 1, 6 inch and my new Ruger SR 1911 two tone, light weight.

I don't like the ambi-safety and I think they are flimsy as well....which is why I don't have them.

In fact I did bend a Tisas thumb safety by accident which kind of proves my point.

I prefer single thumb safeties and Ruger's thumb safety feels more solid to me.

I have shot 1911's from 10 years old in 1967. I am a POST certified firearms instructor and Navy firearms instructor. I was a firearms instructor for the Federal Police Department I worked for and the Sheriff's Office I worked for, so, I suppose I can say if the Tisas thumb safety feels flimsy.

I wonder if the firearms sales have slowed down enough, since ammo prices seem to be lowering as well.

I don't know what they use to cost but those light weight SR 1911 for $599+ have the anodized aluminum grip frames. The all steel framed (stainless) version are $850-900+

Just like the Mark IV Targets, there's a $200 or more difference in price between the two frame materials.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Tisas makes a plain Jane 1911A1 and my dealer says she can't keep them in stock , people come in asking for them and she sells 5-10 per week for $350 , some people are buying them 2 at a time

Competition is a good thing , it prevents monopolies

Ruger is THE name for CAS guns so they rule the roost for Single Actions like the Vaquero. The Italian SA's can't be run as hard and hold up

But people love cheap 1911s and especially ones that are also good

I am also looking at an all steel SR1911 and if I recall Davidsons wanted like $770 for one. So I scratched my 1911 itch for $350 because I also wanted a no frills 1911A1 type

I just checked several places and the commander is $900 and up! So, the full size is $300 less ??!

Maybe I misunderstood, sorry. I wasn't referring to the commander. Your OP said full size. I assumed 5" bbl meant full size. GB has the SR 1911 two-tone 5" bbl (aluminum anodized frame) for 599 and up (NIB).

neorebel

Bearcat
Yea I meant "Full Size". I was just mentioning the other light weight 1911 commander as a comparison to the. "Full Size" 1911. There's a $300 dollar difference which seems strange to me. I'm actually VERY happy it's $300 less for the full size. I just find it strange that they are priced so much lower than the others, and by that I mean, full size SS or commander SS.

It really doesn't make sense that a full size light weight is so much less expensive, and I don't see a logical reason why.
'

Last edited:

buckshot

Single-Sixer
I think $600 +/- price is great for an American made 1911! I really hope to see Ruger drop the price on their other light weight offerings. I have no interest in a full size 5" light weight 1911, however I would love to see the commander and officer sized light weight 1911s at that $600 price.

CAJUNCHEF

Bearcat
I think $600 +/- price is great for an American made 1911! I really hope to see Ruger drop the price on their other light weight offerings. I have no interest in a full size 5" light weight 1911, however I would love to see the commander and officer sized light weight 1911s at that $600 price.
Really agree that a LW Commander size Ruger for $600, would be highly attractive. But I settled and bought the 5" SR1911 LW for $650 at my LGS.
I wasn't planning on buying that day, was considering a Tisas (the 5" model I had would put Winchester 230 FMJ FP into one hole at 10 yards).

But when the guy showed me the Ruger LW frame 5", I was sold. it felt good in the hand, crisp function, and I like the balance when loaded. Works well for me for carry. Just have to make time to go shoot it!

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Seems like the plastic or aluminum frame stuff is going down in price....or leveling off at best....

Full steel guns are getting a premium.... Mini 14....GP-100....etc

I see why people are buying the cheap imports...

Can't wait till the Aluminum-14 comes out...... ( Colt did it in the 60's )

Mike J

Hunter
Are they still only stainless? That would turn me off. It's a 1911, not a Miami Vice gun.
I just went & looked. There is a Talo exclusive model with a black nitride finish. The lightweight they show on Rugers site has a black frame & stainless slide. I like the matte stainless finish on mine. I had scratched it. A little work with a scotch brite pad & no more scratch.

Last edited:

Latest posts