price advice: used GP100 357 6" stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

billccm

Bearcat
Hello All:

I've been shopping around for a Ruger GP100 357, 6", stainless for quite some time. Seems to be a major shortage of guns in my area.

Anyhow, local dealer has a used one with a nice leather holester for $525. I was told the gun has a 30 day store credit return policy.

Almost bought it today, but thought I'd ask the experts. I'll go Tuesday morning and purchase if you guys agree with the price.

Thanks for any feedback, and have a nice day, BIll

eveled

Hawkeye
A new one lists for $759. I imagine the street price for a new one is $100 less. $525 seems about right, for a like new used one. How nice is the holster? Usually the holsters are just thrown in, but if it is real nice and it is something you want, it can factor into the decision. Offer him $475 and see what he says. Ed

s4s4u

Hunter
Bought mine used for $350 about 7 years ago. Nice to see that it has made me money ;-)

dakota1911

Buckeye
Sounds like a good price and the 30day return policy is better than any in my area I have run into.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
my son just bought the identical package last Tuesday. Like new GP in 6" barrel with like new Galco holster, but I think he paid a bit more. This one (formerly owned by a LEO/gun enthusiast) had obviously had some trigger smoothing and reduced power springs ... wonderful trigger. I took a couple boxes of reloads when we went out to pick the gun up, and after he made the deal we went out behind the gun shop (nice to have some gun shops out in the sticks) and popped 40-50 rounds. After shooting a few rounds, I haven't seen his eyes light up like that since he was a little kid at Christmas.

I'd jump on that deal.

as said above, and depending on the make of leather? holster, may be an even BETTER deal.......bottom line it being stainless can and will clean up NICE as new, maybe better.....................heck try for the $500 'out the door' never hurts to "try" ( yes, "try" to get them to throw in a box of ammo as noted above....)

billccm

Bearcat
I bought the gun today. No movement on the price. The store owner said they price everything at a fair value, and this gun would sell quickly at a show this weekend for the $525 price. Out the door was $572 with tax.

The gun shop was out of 357 ammo, and almost all other calibers as well.

It came with a Ruger Triple K brand holester that is very nice. Looks brand new.

I cleaned the gun when I got home-it was spotless, but wanted to clean/lube it anyway.

I'll let you know how it shoots after my range visit this Saturday. I'm like a little kid at Christmas. I've wanted a GP100 for years!

Thanks for all of the advice! Take care, Bill

schloss

Single-Sixer
Those Triple K's are nice holsters.

Let us know how it shoots. I like my GP a lot. (But I love my blackhawks.)

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Bill

I'm looking forward to your range report.

Wouldn't mind seeing the "kid on Christmas morning" look on your face after the first few rounds. I'm sure it will be there. :)

GP100man

Buckeye
If ya wanted it & you`re truely satisfied ,what does price have to do with it ???

YES , I`m a gun nut to !!!

PICs now !!

YES you`ll enjoy it !!

s4s4u

Hunter
It came with a Ruger Triple K brand holester that is very nice. Looks brand new.

Gotta have leather, and that is a nice holster. Think you did just fine. Enjoy!

billccm

Bearcat
My daughter and I had a great day at the range. The GP100 was very accurate and no issues with 38 Special ammo. It seems to be the perfect weight and the trigger was very nice.

Overall, this is a much easier revolver to shoot than my LCR. With the targets at 21 to 30 feet, I easily hit the orange area of the bulls eye almost every shot. With my LCR, I always seem to be too low, or too high reguardless of grip, or aim.

Next trip I'll try 357 ammo (if I can find any).

I am very satisfied with my purchase, and thnk you all for the advice.

Take care, Bill

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
that's great!

Two more happy GP100 owners I know of.

When you try the hottest .357 mags in the GP, they won't punish you half as much as .38 +p would in Tupperware (or equivalent light alloy) .38 spl revolver. May be just my opinion, but you can't beat steel .... that's what real guns are made of :D

surv