Presto-Chango

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pete44ru

Hunter

I decided to re-handle my Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie last week, as after some use, I decided that I didn't really care for the issue rubber bumper.

(before)

DSCN2085.jpg

I used a stick of black/white Ebony I found online @ one of the woodworker supply websites (below).

DSCN0130.jpg

KMrwiLnh.jpg

pete44ru

Hunter
CraigC said:
Nice! Was the rubber handle easy to remove? Is there a full tang under there?

Thank you all, for the kind words !

Cutting the rubber off was E-Z-Peazy, the brass (wrist thong) ferrule a tad more difficult, and as you can see below, they're made with a hidden tang that's the thickness of the blade, and a cross-guard that's supported/held by two small steel plates welded to the sides of the tang.(I'm guessin' the rubber wouldn't support it)

When I inletted the Ebony for the tang, I also inletted the forward center section a bit more, to allow for the extra thickness added by the support plates.

Ma72UmLh.jpg

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
The TrailMaster is my next knife. Did you drill holes through the tang for the pins, or are they decorative? Did you just epoxy the scales onto the tang after the inlet job? TD

pete44ru

Hunter
TinkerDave said:
The TrailMaster is my next knife. Did you drill holes through the tang for the pins, or are they decorative? Did you just epoxy the scales onto the tang after the inlet job? TD

The pins are not only decorative, they add some texture to the grip in wet conditions; and yes, epoxy is holding the handle on, helped by a (cured) epoxy "pin" that goes from side to side inside the handle, routing through the issue lanyard hole in the tang.