Preference between M77 and M77 Mk II rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1ruger

Single-Sixer
Do you have a preference between a M77 and M77 MkII rifle?
I have an opportunity to buy a rifle from a neighbor at fair price.
Both rifles are Ruger .308 caliber hunting rifle. One is a 1989 M77 and second one is a 1995 M77 Mk II. I can have either one for same price.
Only practical difference I can see is the safety... tang vs. 3 position wing.
Is one preferable model over the other? Why?

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Personally I prefer the MkII. I like the tang safety but my main deal with the original 77's is that they feel bulky to me. The MkII's are a touch slimmer and the Hawkeyes even slimmer yet.

Either barrel , I would assume to be good shooters. All of my MkII's from that period are excellent.

Not sure what the 77 triggers were like then but more than likely , the MkII trigger will be...lets say...less than desireable. But an easy fix.

There are a few things for you to ponder. If you don't have a preference , I would spend a little time playing around with both rifles , shouldering them etc , and see which one speaks to you.

Tnhunter

Bearcat
Some hunters like the idea of being able to lock the bolt and also to be able to open the bolt with the safety on, thus 2 position vs 3 position. Might not matter a lick to you. If that's the case, I'd simply look at overall condition, condition of the bore and try both rifles' triggers by dry firing them (this will not harm the rifle at all). Is he willing to tell you if one is a tad more accurate than the other?

I own all thre types of M77s and see an upside to all of them in one way or another. My tang safety .284 has an absolutely great trigger, better than my MKII RSI. One last comment would be that some of the older tang safety guns have a tendency to acquire a "plum" color to the blued receiver as they age. Mine has done that (1987 gun) but I think it looks just fine.

steenroller

Bearcat
Have a slight preference to the M77, I have one in 30-06. But I also have 2 MKIIs and a Hawkeye and like them all. I probably use the hawkeye in .308 more when deer hunting since it is the matte stainless and polymer.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
personaly id take a hawkeye over either. If they put a tang safety on one theyd really have something. to me the original 77s had a stock that was about as nice as a 2x4. the markII was an improvement and the hawkeye even more so and both the hawkeye and markII seem to be overall better shooting guns

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
There were several different versions of the M77 tang safety stock. The non prefix & early #70 prefix M77 rifles had stocks designed and produced under the watchful eye of Len Brownell, one of the premier custom stockmakers of his time. They were well proportioned and balanced and had the best fit & finish of all M77's IMHO. After Brownell left Ruger & around the #71 prefix rifles in 1975, the stock dimensions started to gain weight & size for some reason and they never had the svelt feeling or balance of the early stocks.
Around the #77 prefix in 1982, the M77 stocks went on a diet and were again slimmed down in dimensions close to the proportions of the original, early Brownell style stock. This is the reason so many people have a dim opinion of the M77 tang safety rifle stocks & why I personally pass over any M77 between the #71 to #77 prefix serial number range. They just have a overly heavy, clubby feeling stock that I don't care for. I agree, the MKII stocks were better proportioned than many tang safety rifles and the Hawkeye stocks feel the best of them all.

Latest posts