Pre-Ban Ruger 10/22 High-cap Mag value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sparky_68

Bearcat
So,

I recently discovered that pre-ban ARs are very valuable to some preban states. Back during the dark days leading up to the Clinton AWB, my dad bought oodles and oodles of stuff. After the ban passed, we joked about how it was all pretty much worthless now. I think he paid some premium prices on some of the stuff. Like, he bought many, many high cap 10/22 mags, they're still siting in my closest in their packages. After learning the Pre-ban AR stuff was worth something, I started wondering about the 10/22 mags.

Anyone know what they might be worth? They're from a couple different manufactures, I'd have to dig through them. But they're definitely preban.

triton186

Bearcat
if he paid premium prices back then, they are worth less today than the day your dad bought them. now is you can get ruger factory 15 and 25 rounds mags that are FAR superior to any after market brand mag you could have bought prior to the '94 AWB. if you wanted to make money on them, you should have sold them during the ban. I remember when I bought a berretta 9mm during the "hi capacity" mag ban, the 15rd mags were selling for $70 at lgs. now in most states, where legal, you can get them for $25. so in the states with their own bans, your mags are worthless because they cant buy them from you. in all the other states with no mag restrictions, your mags are worthless because they can buy likely higher quality off the shelf mags for less money than what you would likely be selling yours for.

pruger45

Blackhawk
After the Newtown shooting AR mags were selling for 75.00 in some places! Now the same mags are going for 12.00-15.00! I even saw used AK mags going for 75.00!

Sparky_68

Bearcat
triton186 said:
if he paid premium prices back then, they are worth less today than the day your dad bought them. now is you can get ruger factory 15 and 25 rounds mags that are FAR superior to any after market brand mag you could have bought prior to the '94 AWB. if you wanted to make money on them, you should have sold them during the ban. I remember when I bought a berretta 9mm during the "hi capacity" mag ban, the 15rd mags were selling for $70 at lgs. now in most states, where legal, you can get them for $25. so in the states with their own bans, your mags are worthless because they cant buy them from you. in all the other states with no mag restrictions, your mags are worthless because they can buy likely higher quality off the shelf mags for less money than what you would likely be selling yours for.

I appreciate the effort, but I understand all that. The question is whether or not they still enjoy a premium in states with AWBs modeled after the Clinton one. Example, stripped pre-ban DPMS AR Receivers are going for $800 bucks in Connecticut when you'd be hard pressed to give them away else where.

I know for a fact that pre-ban magazines enjoyed a premium in certain states, or they did up until recently. Massachusetts was at least on. But I think their legal situation changed a bit. The problem is, I've read a lot of conflicting information, and little substance on whether its still legal to sell them. If you look through gun broker, you STILL see Pre-Ban 10/22 Magazines listed and being sold for far more then they're worth.

That is the issue here. There really isn't a clear answer here. And I was told pre-ban ARs were worthless, heh. Learned that was completely wrong.

triton186

Bearcat
Sparky_68 said:
triton186 said:

I appreciate the effort, but I understand all that. The question is whether or not they still enjoy a premium in states with AWBs modeled after the Clinton one. Example, stripped pre-ban DPMS AR Receivers are going for $800 bucks in Connecticut when you'd be hard pressed to give them away else where.

I know for a fact that pre-ban magazines enjoyed a premium in certain states, or they did up until recently. Massachusetts was at least on. But I think their legal situation changed a bit. The problem is, I've read a lot of conflicting information, and little substance on whether its still legal to sell them. If you look through gun broker, you STILL see Pre-Ban 10/22 Magazines listed and being sold for far more then they're worth.

That is the issue here. There really isn't a clear answer here. And I was told pre-ban ARs were worthless, heh. Learned that was completely wrong.

first, to be clear, I wasnt trying to give ya a hard time, or break your stones, and that's still not my intention.

I live in CT where we have a 10rd mag limit and "hi capacity" magazine ban since the new laws were passed post sandy hook. I can speak directly to CT laws. the ridiculous new law/ban requires that you already owned the magazine prior to the laws passage in april '13, AND you had to register each "high cap" magazine (by make, caliber, and round capacity) by jan '14. so any hi cap mags bought after april '13, or any mags owned prior to and not registered by the deadline are illegal in CT even if they were manufactured in 1990 for example. preban AR lowers are legal in CT, but there is no similar preban exception for magazines in CT. you either owned the mags AND registered them prior to the deadline, or you are in violation of the law, no matter when that magazine was made. I believe the NY safe act is similar. I'm not sure of the MA law. I'm pretty sure they have "preban" status for firearms, but I'm not sure that status applies to mags.

also, be careful when using gunbroker. the term "preban" is misused and sometime knowingly abused by low life sellers. there are usually several "preban" ARs for sale that are not prebans. some are by manufacturers that didn't even exist until after the Clinton ban expired. you can find lots of preban labeled magpul pmags also. I emailed sellers of these so called preban pmags and brand new manufacture ARs and questioned the use of the term preban. they all emailed the same type of response. they were all made before the next ban that's coming up! that's their logic. LOL

how is a preban 10/22 mag different from a brand new one off the shelf? is it stamped with a manufacture date? is it stamped with a trackable serial number that can prove preban status? as far as I know, they are not. I guess what I mean is there is no way that I am aware of that one could legally differentiate a preban manufactured mag from a newly made one in the eyes of the law if the legal need arose and you tried to claim preban status.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The main problem with "preban" high capacity magazines for 10/22's is that none of them were made by Ruger and most had a very spotty reputation for quality and performance. Ruger's OEM 25 and 15 round magazines are reliable but weren't made until well after the Clinton ban expired.