Power Mag question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Robert1955

Bearcat
This question is for SR1911 owners that have used 8 round Chip McCormick power mags. I recently picked up 3 of them and noticed the mag release tang drags on the top edge as you insert the mag. They insert but need a little more oomph to seat in the pistol. Comparing the power mags to the factory ones I noticed Ruger, or should I say Checkmate, puts a slight dimple on the top edge of the mag in this area to ease insertion. Has anyone else noticed this? I plan to duplicate the dimple and then the power mags should insert just like the factory ones. Every time I shoot it or field strip it I learn something new, only 9,998 things to learn still :D

dlidster

Single-Sixer
Mine did the same thing when I gave up on the Ruger/Check-Mates and went to Wilson 47D magazines. You're correct in noticing that Check-Mate dealt with this problem by putting the "dimple" in the mags. I dealt with it by removing the magazine release and carefully chamfering and polishing the lower edge that encounters the magazine as it's being inserted. (I enjoy doing this kind of tuning, but most don't expect to have to. Ruger is guilty of a manufacturing shortcut and leaving the solution to Check-Mate.)

After this treatment all magazines insert just as smoothly as the Ruger/Check-Mates that come with the SR1911. In fact, as soon as I close the posting I'm off to an IDPA match with my SR1911 and seven Wilson 47D magazines.

Robert1955

Bearcat
dlidster said:
I dealt with it by removing the magazine release and carefully chamfering and polishing the lower edge that encounters the magazine as it's being inserted. (I enjoy doing this kind of tuning, but most don't expect to have to. Ruger is guilty of a manufacturing shortcut and leaving the solution to Check-Mate.)
After this treatment all magazines insert just as smoothly as the Ruger/Check-Mates that come with the SR1911. In fact, as soon as I close the posting I'm off to an IDPA match with my SR1911 and seven Wilson 47D magazines.

I will probably do the same thing once I strip it down beyond the basic field strip stage, its my first 1911 so I am learning as I go :) . I picked up the McCormicks used for a good price so recreating the dimple was a quick easy fix, and it worked just as I expected. Any chance you have a pic of the reworked mag catch?

Brian48

Bearcat
Been using the PowerMags as well as other mags using CMC's "Shooting Star" follower for 3 decades now. Never notice the lack of the dimple being of any issue at all. There are other mag manufacturers using followers that have dispensed with the dimple as well. I would just leave it alone and not worry about it. So long as the mag spring is not completely worn and has enough tension, it should be fine.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
Brian48 said:
. . . followers that have dispensed with the dimple as well . . .

I don't believe he's referring to the dimple in the follower we're familiar with. There's an indentation in Check-Mate (Ruger) magazines that gives them a head start sliding under the magazine release. I believe he's duplicating that.

Rather than modify magazines, I found it more effective to chamfer and smooth the edge of the lower surface of the magazine release that encounters an incoming magazine. This allows all magazine to be inserted smoothly.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I really don't understand the issue here .... any to-spec 1911 should run effortlessly with any 1911 mag that you stuff in it. I have NEVER had an issue with any 1911 running any mag whatsoever. Why are there all these issues with mags coming up all of a sudden ?

A 1911 isn't much of a 1911 if you have to worry about what mags you stick in it. All my 1911's run with any mag I put in them, and I've never spent more than $7.99 for a mag in my life.

REV

dlidster

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
I really don't understand the issue here ....

REV
I can speak only for my specific SR1911.

First, relating to this thread, the edge of the lower surface of the magazine release [on my pistol] was square and sharp. It stopped the smooth entry of all magazines except Check-Mate (Ruger OEM). The Ruger magazines have an indent on the left side which provides a "ramp" to start the edge of the magazine under the magazine release. I chamfered and polished the lower edge on the magazine release so all magazines would insert freely. I feel this a careless design oversight.

Second, I had bad experiences with the issue magazines. With my 230gr cast round-nose reloads (I don't shoot factory ammo) I experienced double-feeds at least every other magazine. And, if the magazine was dropped, three, four, or five cartridges would be "spit" out. I shoot in USPSA and deliberately drop magazines all the time. This is unacceptable.

I had no problems with Colt, CMC, Wilson, and some no-name magazines. I've standardized on Wilson 47Ds because they work and I like the way they feel. (FWIW, I shoot only 200gr LSWCs.)

BTW, I beat this subject to death on another forum several years ago. Ruger and Check-Mate both were sympathetic and tried to be helpful. But neither could explain or solve the problem. Since I no longer use (or own) Ruger magazines I no longer worry -- or even think -- about it.

Robert1955

Bearcat
Do the 47D's have the indent like the factory mags? I see where the 500 series Wilson's have it but can't find a pic of the right side of the 47D's

dlidster

Single-Sixer
Robert1955 said:
Do the 47D's have the indent like the factory mags? I see where the 500 series Wilson's have it but can't find a pic of the right side of the 47D's
No.

Alter the mag release -- it takes just a few minutes. You'll never have to worry about this issue again with any brand of magazine. (FWIW, you never should have had to worry about it.)

Robert1955

Bearcat
dlidster said:
No.

Alter the mag release -- it takes just a few minutes. You'll never have to worry about this issue again with any brand of magazine. (FWIW, you never should have had to worry about it.)
Will do. Just wanted to ck. Its easy enough to tweek the factory part or go aftermarket for $30 or so.