Porting on a Lever Gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

soot4brains05

Bearcat
OK, my question is, has anyone ever seen or had porting done on a Rossi model 92 lever in .44 Mag? I'm looking at one at a local pawn shop (didn't buy it yet) that had this done and it's back from the end of the barrel about 2.5 to 3" because of the barrel band and sight. It appears to have been a professional job, barrel/action nicely reblued, no burrs inside the bore. But on an 18" barrel I'm wondering if it's going to have an adverse affect on bullet velocity and/or accuracy that far back from the end of the barrel. Let me know if anyone has ever seen or even heard of this on a lever gun. I have never seen it before.
Thanks, Carl B.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
will absolutely make it a bit louder. I can't imagine it would be needed on any handgun round in a rifle.

buckeyeshooter":24o4q4xe said:
will absolutely make it a bit louder. I can't imagine it would be needed on any handgun round in a rifle.

I had a 44 Mag Rossi 92, unported, and have to say that it was one of the most painful recoiling rifles I have ever shot off the bench. On the other hand, off hand shooting was significantly more comfortable. My 2 cents..... :D

Dave

soot4brains05

Bearcat
Thanks to all who replied. I did not know that porting was a factory option. I guess I only thought it was not a factory job because the barrel and action on this 92 is really nicely blued and does not match the mag tube which isn't as nice, maybe thats just the way Rossi did it. I'm curious about the cast bullits too, although it won't be an issue as I run jacketed. I've heard that about making it louder, especially beside the gun when at the range. The recoil on these light little rifles is far more than the same load in a pistol, even with the little brother I have in .357 Mag your shoulder really knows it after running a box through the rifle, plus it's just got the steel but plate. I think longer barrel ='s more pressure ='s more recoil. Again thanks for the replies.
Carl B.

tommyt

Bearcat
I was under the understanding that if you shoot cast in a Ported Barrel It leads

Correct ? now you got me back paddle-in
I'll look it up

Tommyt

comanche

Bearcat
I have a Springfield V-10 Ultra Compact 1911,
which is factory ported. (10 ports).
I shoot lead almost exclusively with no problems.
I had also heard no lead from the gun dealer, but
my limited experience tells me different.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
tommyt, What you heard with cast bullets comes from rifles that have been ported by "gun plumbers" with an electric drill and the inside of the holes not "chamfered" properly. With softer cast bullets the ports "shave" lead. Mag-Na-Port and factories do their porting with EDM machines and you have nice clean defined ports. With enough propulsion behind soft cast bullets you will get leading, ports or no ports! You shouldn't have any problems with your rifle and cast bullets as long as they are alloyed properly with the right hardness.............................Dick :wink: