Port A TX or Ain't Texas Great!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just got back from a weeks vacation in Port Aransas Texas! What a nice town. It's about 400 miles from Dallas down Highway 77, which is actually quite smooth but full of police looking for evil speeders.

Anyway, we went to the beach every day and just had a great time. My daughter really liked swimming etc. We went on a dolphin watch cruise and saw some nice dolphins up close. Ate fish and chips and drank plenty of wine.

I never went to Padre Island during college spring break, but the one grocery store there has alcohol displays on every aisle. The T-shirt shops were full of shirts about drinking beer. I can only imagine what spring break is like there.

Anyway, it is a great family orientated place full of kids and just has a really great atmosphere. Here are some pictures, enjoy!

the wife:
JijoSepia.jpg

some guy fishing:
P1230689.jpg

Pelican If I were a bird, I'd be a Pelican. He looked like such a wise old bird sitting there just enjoying the sunset too:
P1230588.JPG

the daughter:
P1060168.JPG

me:
P1060354.JPG

I didn't know, but there is a "road" on the beach. You can actually drive down right to the water. We rented a golf cart. The road is pretty nice, we drove our car down on the beach without problems. I did see one car stuck to the axles though.

P1060084.JPG

Mustang Island State Park:
P1060282.JPG

20130806_135657.jpg

P1230660.JPG

P1230702.JPG

6gun

Hunter
Beautiful place looks like fun, also very pround to see you kept your vacation spending in your own state to help support others in your state instead of like so many others that fly out of the country and spend their money so foreigners profit.

Thanks for the comments. We did have fun. Texas does have some great diversity for various vacations. Last April we went to Big Bend National Park. We've lived in 5 different states and except for Illinois we tried to take vacations within the state to get a better feel for the area. (Sorry Illinois, just not enough to hold my interest, but I have travelled throughout the state.)

Kevin,
You made a very good choice with Port A. We have been going there off and on for 40 years. The first time was in 1974 when we on our way to South Padre Island in our 31' Chris Craft. Stayed there for 4 days and fished offshore for King Mackerel and Ling.
The last time was last Oct. while we were staying at a campground in Rockport. By the way did you ride the ferry to go to Rockport? It is also a very nice area.
Son took 6 friends of his and ours from WA. there along with us for a bay fishing trip not long ago.
In 2005 I worked and lived right across the bay in Ingleside for 6 months. If you noticed the VERY large cranes and maybe a platform that was where I worked.

A long time ago :( :( Not our boat but one like it.

$(KGrHqZHJFUFGh!!YLk!BRr6bJ(PYg~~60_3.JPG

chris-craft-31-commander-18090040121465696767536670514548x.jpg

Jim: Very nice boat.

We did take the ferry. the sign said 15 minutes, however it took an hour to get to the 15 minute lane. Oh well. At least it was free. Not sure why. We lived in Seattle and free ferry rides were not the norm at all.

Well,
I'm just glad you are here and enjoying the things Texas has to offer.
Son YOU are just getting started on one hell of an adventure.
So far you are getting off to a great start.
Thanks for the boat compliment. We loved that boat but had to sell it to move to an Airpark along with a lot of other toys :( :( :( :(

Latest posts