Police Service Six, finally ready...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AgentV3

Bearcat
This has been coming for a long time. It's a story about a simple Ruger, and the weeks and hours of pain and frustration that surrounded it. It started simply enough, with a Ruger Police Service Six, with excellent mechanicals and a rough finish, it looked like this:
A958175B-65D9-46DB-B46B-BB0C96919E0A-20049-000008F604BA3DE9.jpg

As a Christmas gift, my mother and father paid to have it refinished, so off it went to the local gunsmith for a makeover. I also decided to splurge on new grips, since the originals were in as rough a shape as the finish. Two months later (!), it came back, missing it's pawl plunger and spring, which I quickly discovered are extremely important as the cylinder won't turn without them. I won't go more in-depth than that about this part of the story, since it seems to cause my blood pressure to rise. But the short of it was, I needed some parts.

Now, finding parts for an old, obsolete revolver can sometimes be tricky. Numrich had an ample supply of pawl plungers (KE-51), and quickly sent out the needed part. The pawl spring (KE-50), on the other hand, was pure vapor. Nobody had one, Numrich was out, and the other places apparently had never heard of the Six line. After spending a couple of hours pouring over Youtube videos and schematics, I decided to take a gamble and order a pawl plunger spring for the GP-100 (KH05000), and Midway quickly sent it out, only for the U.S. Postal Service to gobble it up, never to be seen again. Of course, Murphy wasn't far behind, and while Midway is willing to replace it, it's backordered until the end of January at least. In the meantime, I discovered that the SP101, Redhawk, and Super Redhawk all use the exact same part. I have a Redhawk. I decided to steal the spring from it, and have it wait for the backorder. The old Six had waited long enough, and I didn't plan on shooting the Redhawk for a while, so out it came.

To make a long story slightly less long, yes, the GP-100/Redhawk pawl plunger spring will work perfectly fine in a Service Six, and the old trooper was back to form and looking spiffy in her new finish and new grips.

This is the result:
7D187043-E1AC-4710-9F0F-F72FEA8B3E49-20049-000008F6111D6F2A.jpg

AB417C25-0E4A-414B-BB96-3DC6BB438C39-20049-000008F60A3D9C3A.jpg

And just to show that Murphy is still here, as I was pulling the trigger assembly back onto the frame, it pinched me and took a chunk out of my third finger. I guess that means we're now bound together in blood :twisted: .

NorEaster

Blackhawk
Congratulations on your revolver!
ENJOY IT! I mean that whole heartedly in that don't let the bad karma in getting the job done make you enjoy it less now.
I know exactly how you feel. For the past 7 months I struggled with my Speed Six custom refinish project.
The gunsmith who did my finish job lied to me and sent a stainless ejector rod back in my blued gun.
For that plunger spring... keep an eye out on ebay, gunbroker, any of the gun auction sites for a trigger or trigger assembly. There have been a number that I have seen recently in my search for an ejector rod.
A lot have the plunger and spring pictured with them.
Good Luck! I know you will find one.
She's a fine looking Service Six!

AgentV3

Bearcat
I got them directly from Ruger's online store. They're selling them for $10.01 right now, or $49.01 if you want a set of 6. As long as you have a Security Six or Service Six with a square-butt frame and a serial number prefix of 151- or higher, they'll fit perfectly.

Here's a direct link to them:
http://shopruger.com/RLG-Security-Six-Grips/productinfo/19935/

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
AgentV3 said:
I got them directly from Ruger's online store. They're selling them for $10.01 right now, or $49.01 if you want a set of 6. As long as you have a Security Six or Service Six with a square-butt frame and a serial number prefix of 151- or higher, they'll fit perfectly.

Here's a direct link to them:
http://shopruger.com/RLG-Security-Six-Grips/productinfo/19935/

Good heads-up Agent. The readers should note that these are real Ruger grips with the proper medallion. Some other sellers have acceptable clones without the proper medallion.

Glupy

AgentV3

Bearcat
Took her out for her first range day, today. Functioned perfectly, almost no hiccups. The only issue was the ejector rod came a little loose, and was quickly fixed, but otherwise she digested an entire box of .357s without a misfire. Timing is perfect in both single and double action, and the grips really help with control. All in all, I'm very happy with it. I will have to monitor the ejector rod, if it comes loose again, I'll attack it with a bit of Loctite.

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Nice gun. I rehabbed one just like it--sent it in to Ruger about 10 years ago.

Glad you found the proper spring. You should be GTG for another 50 years now.

Joe S.

Hunter
nothing like saving an old girl from an embarassing like on the shelf! you took that frog to a princess and it only cost you a little blood and some patience! good going!