Please recommend a reloading press

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I use a Dillon 550B and at one time could/would load about 400 rounds of .45 ACP per hour. No sweat. However, I'm getting "up there" and experimenting with loads and just use it as a single stage anymore.
But it is a super value; too good to pass up. The warranty is for the life of the machine...not the owner. You can give it to your grandson, and all replacement parts are free forever. Try to match that. I've had this thing 20 yrs or so...maybe 30.
sonnytoo

bearing01

Bearcat
Thanks everybody

I decided to get the Lee Classic Turret press kit.... the heavier better built one than in that original picture above:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

The press looks like this:
ClassicTP.JPG

and there's a review here:
http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Hmm. I might have to upgrade my loading operations in the near future. LEE's boy has had a very positive influence since taking over manufacturering operations and has introduced some very nice cast iron pieces.

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
I bought the Lee Classic Cast Turret about three+ years ago when it came
out and its the only thing I use now... pull the indexing pin and its a single
stage or switch out the turret for caliber change, either takes about one
minute and no tools. I got mine for about $70 but I think they are still less
than $100. If I had spent $300+ for something else I'm sure I'd be singing
thier song now :wink:

FrontSite

Bucks Owin

Hunter
My two centavos is that I'd go with a single station press for a first rig. A couple hundred rounds a week will be enjoyable time spent on it learning how to do each stage of the reloading process while keeping your concentration on the task at hand. I'd wait awhile before going to a progressive loader. Too much going on at once leaves space for error IMHO.....Dennis

Tankhead

Bearcat
I too am thinking about getting into reloading. Can these kits be used for rifle cartridges also? I just bought a RH 44mag 4" revolver for SD while bowhunting and a 300win mag rifle this summer. Halfway thru Lyman's 48th and the 1/4 way thru "ABC's" (tough reading). Isn't it just the clearance for the longer 300wm cartridge that I need to be sure about? I'm not setting myself up to get into reloading hence the 44mag instead of the 45 colt. But I'm thinking reloading would help with my accuracy maybe more than any other investment I can make in my rifle. Hence, money well spent and saved! :D

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Yes any of the presses(RCBS/Hornady/Lyman/Redding/Dillon(except sq deal press)/lee) can be used for the rifle and pistol reloading.

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
bearing01":l1dtz8iq said:
Thanks everybody

I decided to get the Lee Classic Turret press kit....

Great choice! Just remember one thing ..
Don't rotate the turret with the ram down
Raise the ram or remove the index pin first.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress

FrontSite

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Don't have a single stage press myself. I only load for handguns. My presses have been Lee, started with a Pro 1000 then went to a Loadmaster the only reason I went to the Loadmaster was for extra die stations. Yes they are a pain to set up initially. I have heard nothing but good reviews on the steel Classic Turret. I'll be the first to admit that the priming system on the Pro 1000 was absoulety worthless, to me anyway. Bought two hand primers one for small and one for large, work great. When I bought the Loadmaster I just took the priming system off and never even tried it.
If your like me and don't have much money to spare Lee products work just take your time and get them set up correctly and they produce quality ammunition. I have never had had to replace a part on my Lee presses If you have money to spare then buy a Dillon. I do use a RCBS scale though with the check weights, never tried the Lee I have.
JMHO
Good luck on whatever you choose. Kind of like the Ford or Chevy debate.

Damn I hate when I don't see there are multipe pages ( Old age does not have it's advantages). I think you will be pleased with your choice.

(Dummy) Dana