Pistol Length Reloading Press

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greebe

Single-Sixer
For some time I have been interested in a smaller press for pistol length cartridges. I am thinking of something that could be used for .454 Casull and shorter cartridges.

My old 1975 Rockchucker has been a great press, but I have always felt that it is a waste of ram travel and arm movement doing cartridges as small as the .45 ACP.

I have been working on a few ideas of presses that I could make in my machine shop. One idea is for a small bench mounted press and the other is for a more portable press that could be used away from home.

What do you guys think? Is this something you guys would be interested in? Do you think there would be a market for such a press? I know that Sinclair makes a benchrest press, but it still is large enough to load .308 and I want something really compact.

Greebe

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

About a year ago Lee Martin posted pictures of a press his Dad had built a number of years back. Here's a picture he posted: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=169628&p=1697644&hilit=+press#p1697644

You might want to talk to Lee to see if he's got any suggestions?

I find the little Lee Reloader press to be about the right size for what you've described. The Rock Chucker often sits in the closet when I'm doing "small stuff," and a buddy has four or five of 'em set up in a row for some of his pistol loading (at the other end of the bench from a Dillon 550B lest someone suggest he needs "more" press!) Out of the box, it's a loose and floppy machine, and pretty light duty--Mr. Lee even tells how to break it in his "Modern Reloading" (1st Ed) book--but there might be interest in a "tightened up" version.

Rick C

mikld

Blackhawk
Too much arm movement? Shorten the handle... :p

But I've seen a couple homemade presses similar to the pic Rick C posted and they are super strong and easy to use...

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I HAVE USED a turret press set up as you're thinking for short stroke and pistol cartridges and it is NOT really all that good. TOO much is happening in a short arc and that is too much of a BAD thing. I have found exactly the opposite to be the best, the VERY long stoke on two of my RCBS AMMOMASTER is delightful to use as all is happening in a loooong arc in seemingly slow motion. In twenty[20] years of loading every pistol cartridge you can almost imagine I have yet to have a dud round come off those two RCBS AM presses, and that includes tens of thousands of 32S&WLONG and 380ACP cartridges, as you can see EVERYTHING happening slowly, easily seen, NO surprises.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys for the responses. I wish that there was a press like I am looking for. It would be easier to buy one then make one but it would be a fun project to make.

That press Martins dad made is like the one made by Ross, Harrell, and Sinclair. I am thinking of maybe making something like that as I think $300 is a little much for something I really do not need. I had the RCBS RC and aN RL550B. Both presses have served me well.

The short handle would not reduce ram travel, but it would make let handle throw at the end of the handle. I had thought about making a insert that would go in place of the shell holder to raise the ram by and inch or so.

Seems like you could have a short throw press and operate it just as slow as any other press. There would be less travel of the handle but the human body is a precise instrument that should be able to cope with the task. :D

Originally I started thinking about all this because I wanted a little nicer portable press then my old Lee Hand Press. Mostly I plan on using it for .45 Colt. My reloading set up is in the basement and it might be nice to have a little press that I could take out to the range or keep in the shop to shoot out the door into the woods

I will take into consideration what you guys are saying and keep brainstorming.

Thanks,
Greebe

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
H'mmm, I have a Lee Classic Cast that I use to size and deprime 44 cases. I have it set up to where the ram only comes down to the "joint" between the ram sections. The handle has an arc swing of about 92 degrees with the length of handle being about 12". This setup saves wear on my arm.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Greebe said:
I had thought about making a insert that would go in place of the shell holder to raise the ram by and inch or so.

Hi, Greebe

Might wanta take a look and see if this is the same thing you're thinking about: http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/409090 I think the guys at RCBS make extended shellholders for use w/ their file trim die, too, but they're caliber specific, where CH4D's is a universal extension.

I don't see why it couldn't easily be made in various lengths...

Rick C

I've shortened the handle of my LEE Challenger press to cut down overall movement of my arm. It also helps prevent cases sticking since you simply can't apply as much force with a short handle as a long one.

GP100man

Buckeye
Did`nt RCBS offer extended shellholders at 1 time , like a tall shell holder would be a better description???

I`ll say this on some operations I rarely bring the ram all the way down , but by doing this I almost had to change my name to "Nine fingered Nick" !!

Here ya go : https://www.google.com/#q=rcbs+extended+shell+holder

WMB30

Single-Sixer
With a couple simple parts a Forster press will handle pistol loads with 90 degree stroke.

Bill

6gun

Hunter
Without the long stroke you would loose your leverage, and the pull would be twice as hard, 44's and 45's take a good bit of leverage to resize and crimp, you could always rig up a stop so your ram don't travel all the way back down.

rchery59

Bearcat
I'm sure with little effort a lee classic turret could have the legs shortened and accomplish your goal. It could be used single stage if you want

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Dillon Square Deal B. Made especially for pistol cartridges. 4 station, auto index...Lots of cartridges in a short period of time. I have 2 and 6 die sets. One is over 25 years old and still going strong. Plus Dillon customer service is the best in the industry.