Pepper Spray

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don't know about brands, but the percent of actual pepper spray in a can is important. Recalling the cop stuff was 10% and does a great job on people. The rest of the stuff in a can is just inert propellant. I mentioned a little about that in another post. BTW, I haven't confirmed my 10% that's by recall. Maybe a pepper spray nerd will provide better details. I have long tossed all my stuff as it becomes a non-aerosol after a few years. To keep it trustworthy, shake the can weekly or monthly so it does go into a solid lump of stuff in the bottom of the can.

Or you could use wasp and hornet spray. Shoots 20-30 feet and the baddy doesn't care about anything but to get the stuff off his face

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240528-121100.png
    Screenshot_20240528-121100.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 25

Don Lovel

Hunter
I hate OC and refused to carry it working grocery store and bank security for many years. ASP Baton and my handy Jedi skills worked good.
But last couple years protestors blocking the highway in Tulsa and grabbing door handles and trying to break windows, game on. I will have bear spray in my truck everytime I go to Tulsa or OKC this year. At 72 I am too old to fight and the 45 auto is too much legalities for just stupid people.
F around and find out time if they screw with me in traffic

Do you think anyone will confess to being a pepper spray nerd?
Um....you called? Actually a non-lethal defenses nerd. Anyway:

10% is the max for consumer and (supposedly) law enforcement sprays. The one I like is Sabre Red in the GEL form. It sticks to the attacker's face and eyes longer. Also, there is less chance of being caught with any back spray. Some contain hard to remove UV dye for later identification.

NOTE: While those big bear spray cans with pull triggers feel cool, They are not what you think. The spray itself is more intense and enveloping and has a longer range, it is usually - but not always- a slightly weaker concentration. Maybe 7% if my beat up memory serves. Also, the whole can will empty with about a 4 second blast because of it's intensity, so you MAY get off two quick shots at a human.

BearBiologist

Hunter
Or you could use wasp and hornet spray. Shoots 20-30 feet and the baddy doesn't care about anything but to get the stuff off his face
That could, in some jurisdictions, open you up to assault with a deadly weapon (unlike capsaicin, it is a nerve poison!)

Good article explaining the differences:

One of the guys on the safety team at my church showed me a links to that pistol a few weeks ago and I had meant to look it up for got distracted... I think it is a viable option and might be as good if not better than a lot of spray options. I might jus get one.

Desktop_5_600x.png.jpeg

"Pepper spray"
I've used it a few times when I was a USPS city route carrier. The USPS issue stuff was weak in both OC and projection so I asked the friendly Sheriff for 'the good stuff'. First time I felt the need to use it was a smallish ankle biter that had nailed me 2-3 times previously. It was a warm, sunny spring day and the little bugger came across the street to get at me. I hosed the little demon sending it running for home. Within seconds, I heard shrieking from the back yard of 'home' followed by a string of cursing that would curl hair. As it happened, the dog's female owner was catching some sun (possibly sans clothing) on a chaise lounge in her enclosed back yard when the MACE drenched mutt jumped on her dripping OC juice.
When I returned to the PO, everyone was laughing like crazy except the PM who asked through a very severe frown if I had sprayed 'Lisa's' dog. Yupper, no denying. PM held his ground and told 'Lisa' to keep her pooch INSIDE or this could happen again. My savior was that the dog had crossed the street to reach me and I was within policy to protect myself. :D :devilish:

BearBiologist

Hunter
That could, in some jurisdictions, open you up to assault with a deadly weapon (unlike capsaicin, it is a nerve poison!)

Good article explaining the differences:

Also, there is a difference between CS gas (what we went through in the Army), Mace and bear spray and dog spray!

We had an "armed intruder" one day at the office where I worked. The biologist nearest the door he entered through intercepted him and call the Sheiff's. He had a machete and a warrant. After that, I certified several of our female biologists (I was Safety Officer, and one duty was to certify them) in bear spray use and safety. I said, if you expect to work on the weekend, check out some spray "for bears", just in case!

One of the guys on the safety team at my church showed me a links to that pistol a few weeks ago and I had meant to look it up for got distracted... I think it is a viable option and might be as good if not better than a lot of spray options. I might jus get one.

View attachment 46843
And....nope. Like the Taser, the gun itself is worth about 5 bucks, and one pays hundreds. One simply overpays for Taser's proprietary Power/projection/dart tech. With the above it's even more over-payment because the CO2 and pepper/rubber ball ammo ( both could actually be used) aren't proprietary, so the initial cost is simply ridiculous. Then there is effectiveness. If pepper ball, do you aim for the face? If you do and damage is done by the outer part to the face are you liable? Depends on the state, of course. If aimed elsewhere, how effective will a pepper ball be? I admit that I have never used one, though I have a few that fit a paint ball gun. If effective elsewhere, would someone educate me further?

Yes, the gun is even legal in NJ.

You make good arguments Joe Chartreuse, the issue is that one will never know until the devise is actually used... does not matter if it is pepper spray of some kind , this Byrna pistol with either of the projectiles or even a real pistol.... kind of like the 'debate' in the lounge over 357 Mag vs 10mm.

And I agree with WendyZXZ except we really aught to accept the fact that we are Gun Nerds. I'm proud to be one.... but then I've actually been a nerd all my life it only took me about 60 years to realize it.

when I first looked at this Byrna pistol and realized it ran on CO2 I was thinking that is really dumb because they always loose the propellant over time... then the first thing I saw when I did the research was that the canister is not punctured until the trigger is pulled the first time. Now that is smart. I've spent the $500, for the smaller less powerful model, so the question is what do I do to check it out and do a review?

Last edited:
You make good arguments Joe Chartreuse, the issue is that one will never know until the devise is actually used... does not matter if it is pepper spray of some kind , this Byrna pistol with either of the projectiles or even a real pistol.... kind of like the 'debate' in the lounge over 357 Mag vs 10mm.

And I agree with WendyZXZ except we really aught to accept the fact that we are Gun Nerds. I'm proud to be one.... but then I've actually been a nerd all my life it only took me about 60 years to realize it.

when I first looked at this Byrna pistol and realized it ran on CO2 I was thinking that is really dumb because they always loose the propellant over time... then the first thing I saw when I did the research was that the canister is not punctured until the trigger is pulled the first time. Now that is smart. I've spent the $500, for the smaller less powerful model, so the question is what do I do to check it out and do a review?
Testing will be near impossible, I think. You can check accuracy and range, but how does one check the pepper dispersal? If not a face shot I just can't figure out how it could be effective. Since it's supposed to be a non-lethal weapon, do we really want to shoot any projectile into someone's face? That brings up the liability again. I dunno......

Testing will be near impossible, I think. You can check accuracy and range, but how does one check the pepper dispersal? If not a face shot I just can't figure out how it could be effective. Since it's supposed to be a non-lethal weapon, do we really want to shoot any projectile into someone's face? That brings up the liability again. I dunno......
How about a crotch shot. I've gotten tea tree shampoo down there and that will light you up.

Latest posts